Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 872 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2019, 09:56 AM   #901
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
DPR review cameras from the point of view of the mainstream camera owner, for what trigger the most camera sales on amazon. That means, cameras designed to have uncommon features aren't favorably graded by DPR.
DPR has become a marketing shill for Amazon....they support and promote products that are volume sellers. To the extent that most DSLR's are a pimple on Amazon's global sales, they will routinely rate better sellers and marketed products higher (ever see their silly "Best Cameras of 2018", etc. manufacturer sponsored ratings?). Pentax does not advertise on Amazon, therefore, DPR will rarely if ever, 'toot" its proverbial horn for Pentax products.

The K-1ii is a evolutionary step forward, that's why they labeled it "Mark ii".....but these chuckleheads can't reward it because they rarely sell it. Period.

By the way, aren't we going way far afield with this thread? The original OP wanted comments on the K-1 Mark ii. I see everything from KP to Canon to Sony, et al....

MODERATOR: Is it time to kill this thread and/or rename it-- I suggest Pentax Fawning and Bashing 101? What do you all think?

04-02-2019, 12:25 AM - 7 Likes   #902
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
DPR has become a marketing shill for Amazon....they support and promote products that are volume sellers. To the extent that most DSLR's are a pimple on Amazon's global sales, they will routinely rate better sellers and marketed products higher (ever see their silly "Best Cameras of 2018", etc. manufacturer sponsored ratings?). Pentax does not advertise on Amazon, therefore, DPR will rarely if ever, 'toot" its proverbial horn for Pentax products.

The K-1ii is a evolutionary step forward, that's why they labeled it "Mark ii".....but these chuckleheads can't reward it because they rarely sell it. Period.

By the way, aren't we going way far afield with this thread? The original OP wanted comments on the K-1 Mark ii. I see everything from KP to Canon to Sony, et al....

MODERATOR: Is it time to kill this thread and/or rename it-- I suggest Pentax Fawning and Bashing 101? What do you all think?
I think DPR is talking through their .....

This is the best camera I have ever owned.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
04-02-2019, 04:18 AM   #903
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

Fabulous shot, Mark, is this one of the Mountain Top Wedding shots?
04-02-2019, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #904
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

I'm glad to see you are making good use of your K-1ii.

04-02-2019, 06:40 AM - 3 Likes   #905
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

MarkJerling's photo of the mountaintop wedding is an example of the quality the K-1ii produces. Even a novice in "green' mode can take excellent shots. My point is DPR ceased to be the arbiter of camera evaluation for me years ago.
They're just getting worse....in essence, they are the Fake News component of the Camera World.
04-02-2019, 07:08 AM   #906
Pentaxian

MarkJerling's photo of the mountaintop wedding is an example of the quality the K-1ii produces. Even a novice in "green' mode can take excellent shots. My point is DPR ceased to be the arbiter of camera evaluation for me years ago.
They're just getting worse....in essence, they are the Fake News component of the Camera World.
Part of the issue is that they evaluate cameras based on what they think a camera should deliver, rather than based on what Pentax aims to deliver. Their evaluations are much like Consumer Reports - whose scoring system often greatly differs from what I am looking for.
04-02-2019, 07:20 AM   #907
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Part of the issue is that they evaluate cameras based on what they think a camera should deliver, rather than based on what Pentax aims to deliver. Their evaluations are much like Consumer Reports - whose scoring system often greatly differs from what I am looking for.
It's a disappointment (and a problem for me) that reviews don't match reality. There is a certain amount of lies being propagated in the camera market. I've read that the Nikon Z 24-70 S is such as sharp lens: when I look at test charts, it happens to be no better than DSLR lenses of the same kind. I think we have be told lies.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-02-2019 at 07:25 AM.
04-02-2019, 07:21 AM   #908
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Reh: I agree but I think it's become worse than that. DPR is becoming mercenary to try & sell units; large volumes of cameras and Nikon/Canon/Panasonic have several price leaders. An example: A friend of mine was talking pictures with his Nikon D850 rig ($$$$) and a woman observing him approached and said, "Oh, I bought a camera just like that for my granddaughter. It came with 2 lenses and cost only $450.00--did you pay less than that?" My friend was flabbergasted and said nothing--no reason to tell a perfect stranger your Nikon Kit is $5,000.

When I'm out and about in the City with my K-1, no one asks me if I got a cheap deal on my camera because mainstreamers are not aware of Pentax per se....anyway, it's anecdotal but proves my point--Pentax doesn't market for the masses and their least expensive camera with a kit lens is at least $700.00 (K-70), Anyway, the thread, with some apologies to Tanaka-San continues...

Last edited by Merv-O; 04-02-2019 at 07:23 AM. Reason: missed a sentence.
04-02-2019, 07:41 AM   #909
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Reh: I agree but I think it's become worse than that. DPR is becoming mercenary to try & sell units; large volumes of cameras and Nikon/Canon/Panasonic have several price leaders. An example: A friend of mine was talking pictures with his Nikon D850 rig ($$$$) and a woman observing him approached and said, "Oh, I bought a camera just like that for my granddaughter. It came with 2 lenses and cost only $450.00--did you pay less than that?" My friend was flabbergasted and said nothing--no reason to tell a perfect stranger your Nikon Kit is $5,000.
The camera business is a hungry business, next year the currently hyped MILC models will be made obsolete, and the new models will bring no appreciable benefit over current models. They make previous models look obsolete to squeeze out some more money from diminishing customers.
04-02-2019, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #910
Pentaxian

The camera business is a hungry business, next year the currently hyped MILC models will be made obsolete, and the new models will bring no appreciable benefit over current models. They make previous models look obsolete to squeeze out some more money from diminishing customers.
If you look at current lineup for sale at B&H, most likely the company will just put a new model at the top of the line, and current models will slide down one position. We have nobody other than ourselves to blame. The K-1ii was barely a year old when members here started speculating about a replacement - there is nothing wrong with the K-1ii and no compelling reason for Pentax to release a replacement right now.
04-02-2019, 07:57 AM   #911
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Totally mercenary...simply "Economic Darwinism"...
04-02-2019, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #912
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Fabulous shot, Mark, is this one of the Mountain Top Wedding shots?
Thank you Larry. Yes, it is. The K-1II did a superb job.
04-02-2019, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #913
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A friend of mine was talking pictures with his Nikon D850 rig ($$$$) and a woman observing him approached and said, "Oh, I bought a camera just like that for my granddaughter. It came with 2 lenses and cost only $450.00--did you pay less than that?" My friend was flabbergasted and said nothing--no reason to tell a perfect stranger your Nikon Kit is $5,000..
Love it!
05-22-2019, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #914

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
They mainly disliked the baked-in noise reduction for RAW files, which is the exact reason I didn't pay for the upgrade.
They made such a big deal about that in their review I almost went looking for the regular k1. Glad I couldn’t find one. I am loving the k1 mark ii. I just upgraded from a k3. And this is my first full frame camera. The hardware whatever it’s doing is reducing noise. But whatever it’s doing it seems to be pretty light handed. There’s definitely less noise than the k3. But the detail is still there.
06-11-2019, 08:32 PM - 2 Likes   #915
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Graig Quote
They made such a big deal about that in their review I almost went looking for the regular k1. Glad I couldn’t find one. I am loving the k1 mark ii. I just upgraded from a k3. And this is my first full frame camera. The hardware whatever it’s doing is reducing noise. But whatever it’s doing it seems to be pretty light handed. There’s definitely less noise than the k3. But the detail is still there.
Ironically, DPR doesn’t say much about Sony and their baked in noise reduction or their baked in lens corrections.