Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 872 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2018, 10:46 AM - 2 Likes   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
Last weekend I was shooting a wedding as a second shooter, with my K1's. Alongside a guy using the Sony A7III. Believe me its easier to use. The results are superior. I will say the Sony is a bit ugly in my opinion. But thats clutching at straws...
I was offered a Sony A7 III with a 28-70 kit. It's not true that it works better than the K1, the K1 is faster to focus in dim lighting condition (I tried both cameras side by side). I cannot believe so many untrue statements we can read over the web. However, if the sales rep had sold me on the A7 III, I'd have to spend triple the money on new glass for taking the same images, while being constantly itched by the poor ergo of the Sony bodies. If you don't need 4K video, switching to mirrorless is way too costly, keep saving your money for switching to medium format system later. If that's not clear enough, just to give a more meaningful example: switching from full frame dslr to full frame mirrorless is like moving sandbags from A to B and from B back to A , it's a waste of energy.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-29-2018 at 10:51 AM.
12-29-2018, 10:48 AM   #272
Pentaxian

Last weekend I was shooting a wedding as a second shooter, with my K1's. Alongside a guy using the Sony A7III. Believe me its easier to use. The results are superior.
Oh, the "grass is greener" syndrome...
It will pass. It's up to you if before or after an expensive system switch.
12-29-2018, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #273

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It is amazing how many beginners think Pentax users are locked in the dark ages, and shoot Pentax only because having read a few magazine articles or shot one wedding as second, they now know more than we do.
Im not a beginner. Ive owned Pentax cameras for 45 years. It wasnt my first wedding. Looking at your banner you dont even own a full frame camera. So dont have the same experiences. Or lens frustrations. So your comments are rather rude if you dont mind me saying... So we will stop this conversation now...

Last edited by stub; 12-29-2018 at 03:12 PM.
12-29-2018, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #274
Pentaxian

All the cameras reviewers are stating that the Sony A7II is in the best two cameras of the year...
They won't say the best camera is the D850, because saying it's Sony A7III trigger many more sales. You always have to keep in mind that all reviewers make money out of PR contracts. It's an industry, including here in PF. It's all about marketing. Smart camera users have to make smart choices for themselves. The shop here, they will sell you everything as long as you can pay, they will tell you: "all cameras are the best, put your credit card here".

---------- Post added 29-12-18 at 18:56 ----------

So we will stop this conversation now...
Sony have a lot of cameras and lenses for you, only what you can pay is the limit. Every year, the best camera is different, so every year you have to switch systems, and the camera industry will love you.

12-29-2018, 10:58 AM   #275
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But Megapixels isnt the only factor... All the cameras reviewers are stating that the Sony A7II is in the best two cameras of the year...
Now you are switching models - what causes them to rate the A7ii so highly??
12-29-2018, 10:59 AM   #276
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im in the Uk so not checked Canadian prices. But if price in the dominating factor in Sony you could choose the f4 version of the lens. Or if you need f2.8 look at the Sigma or Tamron versions..
@stub, I wouldn't expect you to check Canadian prices as that's not your usual market. But I guess you could check the UK prices and report your comparison to support your claim on pricing.

In my example, I selected a f/2.8 lens because it's the classic telephoto in a three-zoom kit. Of course, f/4 is different.

If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting a Sigma or Tamron lens for the Sony A7III to bring the price of the camera+lens down. Makes sense; either of those brands are decent. However, I'm not closely familiar with contemporary Sigma or Tamron lenses, and I couldn't find a source for either a new modern Sigma or Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 for Sony. Would appreciate if you could provide a link. Thanks.

Edit: I've used pricing from SRS Microsystems and WEX Photo (SRS doesn't carry the Sony lens). Hope they represent typical current UK pricing.

Edit: @stub corrected my oversight about the Sony lens at SRS. Indeed, they carry it. I've updated the prices.

Prices in UK Pounds:

Sony
A7 III: 1849
70-200 f/2.8 GM: 1969 (time-limited offer and 100 cashback)
Total kit: 3818

Pentax
K-1 II: 1799
D FA* 70-200 f/2.8: 1620 (with discount code)
Total: 3420
K-1 is still available new at SRS. K-1 + lens: 2920

Sony kit price in this example is 12% higher than the K-1 II kit, and 30% higher than the K-1 kit.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-29-2018 at 02:37 PM. Reason: SRS does carry the Sony lens. Pricing corrected.
12-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #277
Pentaxian

Alongside a guy using the Sony A7III. Believe me its easier to use.
My KP has three e-dials; one controls shutter speed, one controls aperture, one controls ISO, so I can control all aspects of the "exposure triangle" without removing my eye from the viewfinder.

What specific thing(s) about the A7iii makes it easier to use in the setting of a wedding??

Why are you generalizing this to all other use cases?

added: did DPR mention conveniences such as this, or were they too focused on the bright, shiny, new Sony?

Last edited by reh321; 12-29-2018 at 11:48 AM.
12-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #278
Pentaxian

If you really want to know if a Sony A7iii really gives you better images than a Pentax K1, than it's easy, just rent both for a week and check if the Sony gets you better images.
That's what I did, and the first thing I noticed was that I couldn't tell the difference between images and to be more specific , I was not able to even tell difference in colors, realized both sensors are from Sony.
It's really hard to tell Sony A7iii and Pentax K1 images apart, except when pixel peeping the Pentax give more details. If you have seen better images from the A7iii, you must have messed bit time when using the K1.
You don't even need to rent an A7iii, just go do a bling test in this gallery (https://www.flickr.com/photos/90088208@N08/) look only at images full screen and don't look at the exif and write down which image was taken with a K1 and what image was taken with an A7iii. I did the test, and I was almost systematically wrong... it is impossible to tell if those photos were shot with a K1 or A7iii and more often than not the images from the K1 are more beautiful.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-29-2018 at 11:19 AM.
12-29-2018, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #279
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Its very loyal to stand by Pentax at this time. But in all the comments made, No one has offered up a suggestion of a camera that fairs more miseably than the K1II.. And though not particularly voting it in the worst of cameras catagory. It didnt fair too highly in Matt Granger's or Tony Northrop's review of cameras for 2018. But lets leave it at that.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
No one's offered up a suggestion that anything in it's price range performs better, either.

It is incredibly rude to brand Pentax users loyal. There are users of all brands that are loyal based on nothing. The term loyalty implies that the camera in some way doesn't suit your needs, and you are just buying the camera because of the name on it. I simply cannot think of a more disrespectful thing to say about fellow users.
I agree with Norm on this point.

I am proud to proclaim my complete lack of loyalty to any brand... I shoot what I like. No company gets any of my hard-come-by money unless I'm getting mostly what I want - equipment that fits my own personal use cases well, is enjoyable to use, well built, and produces good results. It just so happens that I like Pentax equipment, both old and new. I know it's not perfect. I know that, depending on an individual's specific use cases, wishes and biases, there may be better equipment from other brands. But for me, Pentax gear fits the bill nicely.

There are times where I choose to shoot Sony - specifically, for adapted manual focus lens use. In those instances, my Sony equipment wins hands-down. The rest of the time, I see nothing in the market to pull me away from Pentax. And that has nothing to do with loyalty. You could show me a hundred reviews where the reviewers conclude that the cameras I own are the worst ever produced, from a brand that is stuck in the past, and I'd care not a jot. For me, they work brilliantly, and I'm very happy with them - from my old *ist DL to my K-3II and everything in between
12-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd rather read this:
K-1 II, declared best in class - PentaxForums.com

12-29-2018, 01:06 PM - 6 Likes   #281
Veteran Member

If someone should be mad, then I, as a Canon shooter, should be very angry because Canon is the last on every comparation made against other brands. But I'm happy of my gear choice because I don't buy cameras/lenses based on internet reviews and I don't give a ... about charts, specs, rankings.

It's amazing how amateur photographers are interested more on:
- pixel peep images
- specs
- internet reviews

but they forgot to be happy with what they shoot. I shoot portraits (among other things) and when I shoot with other photographers, you know how can I tell if the guy next to me is an amateur? He show me his images zoomed at 100% and he tells me about sharpness and details.

I smile to them and I continue to shoot because these days sharp and details you can get with any camera if the light is good. I'm interested in get the attitude and the mood/look that I want from the model and I let the specs guys talk about megapixels, sharpness, etc.

DPReview gave a bad verdict for K1 II. Imaging Resources gave K1 II a good verdict. This is internet and we have to take their articles with a grain of salt. I wish you Happy New Year and lots of images that tell a story in your portfolios.
12-29-2018, 01:42 PM   #282
Pentaxian

There's two worlds out there. The world where half the guys I'm out with are Canon shooters. They aren't bunch of dummies. And the world where Canon seems to be an afterthought in many internet discussions. One of my Canon shooting buddies posted the best wildlife image I've seen all year a couple weeks ago.
12-29-2018, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #283
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Aside from the advantages and disadvantages of DSLR and mirrorless respectively (and each design has both), comparing the current range of cameras from all manufacturers is rather like comparing all of the current Formula 1 racing cars. Sure, you can say each one is better than the other at something. You can even say there's an overall best or worst in terms of winning races across all of the current F1 circuits. But they're all F1 cars, and they're all incredible. Once they're out on the track, it's mostly down to the driver rather than the car as to who wins the race...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-29-2018 at 02:57 PM.
12-29-2018, 02:26 PM   #284

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
(SRS doesn't carry the Sony lens)
Just for info.... Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM OSS Lens - Sony Deals - Xmas 2018

I am not trying to put the K1 down. God only knows I own two... Just being realistic that currently the the other dslr manufactures, produced a better offering. But in general The Pentax was accepted because it was at a lower price level.I was not trying to compare one camera to another or one particular lens. and their various individual pluses or minuses, But I was stating that in for Example.. Sony, now offer a range of lenses, in various sizes and apertures. As do Canon and Nikon. Also the backup of the larger third party manufactureers. Not an option of one lens or legacy glass.. So If Pentax dont offer this, they will find it more and more tough going forward. And 2019 could well be a tough year. As there are now equal quality cameras at their price point. Something I personally have not been aware of...

I dont hate the Pentax offering.. Ive used them for 45 years.. I dont want to change brands.. I want the brand I love to get better more quickly... If you think there is at present nothing wrong good luck to you...

This is my last comment....
12-29-2018, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #285
Pentaxian

You have to wonder just how much better cameras can actually get. Just looking at the last 5 years actual image quality hasn't really improved. We saw a bump with the removal of AA filters and such but the actual benefits we've seen has been in ISO performance, autofocus and megapickle count. I think we're going to reach a point where upgrading your camera really isn't even important to a pro.

What use is super high resolutions to anyone but geeks outside of specific markets for example.

Just my 2 cents.