Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 872 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2019, 05:40 AM   #781

I wonder where this thread would be had Ricoh delayed the release of the K-1 another 6-12 months to include the accelerator chip and Dynamic Pixel Shift...

01-14-2019, 05:46 AM - 3 Likes   #782
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I've asked to provide conditions where high detail and high ISO are simultaneously mandatory and after 3 weeks I still haven't had any answer.
Product photographer for high-end boutique cave cricket sales. You have to have photograph the crickets in their normal environment of near darkness to avoid spooking them, and the discerning, tempestuous customers must have ridiculously detailed photos when they're spending $millions on cave crickets. Has to be fast because, well, they're crickets. They move a lot. Quickly. Plus, who the heck wants to be in a dark room full of cave crickets for long?

That could be a thing, right?
01-14-2019, 06:15 AM   #783
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Product photographer for high-end boutique cave cricket sales. You have to have photograph the crickets in their normal environment of near darkness to avoid spooking them, and the discerning, tempestuous customers must have ridiculously detailed photos when they're spending $millions on cave crickets. Has to be fast because, well, they're crickets. They move a lot. Quickly. Plus, who the heck wants to be in a dark room full of cave crickets for long?That could be a thing, right?
Grilled cockroaches is an increasingly popular dish, not yet as popular as french fries. For shooting cockroaches in dark places, I would recommend using a speed-light, the flash burst is so short that cock roaches don't have time to react.

Anyway, the only case I see shooting at high ISO without a tripod is indoor sports, concerts and when I forget to bring a tripod at night, and in all of those cases, motions blur is what impact sharpness, before the effort of the accelerator can be seen.
01-14-2019, 06:24 AM   #784

Thanks for the reply....

01-14-2019, 06:27 AM   #785
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Allow me...
The Canon's don't look great here, although in the first image, I think we are seeing some false color/moire that gives the impression of extra detail.
01-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #786
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

you haven't tried at ISO6400, I have compared, I think the complains about K1 II exaggerate, it is made a bigger deal than it actually is, and it means if you are after such details at ISO6400, tripod and electronic shutter are mandatory (same conditions as in the test chart), then I don't see how it makes sense to set ISO6400 with the camera fixed on a tripod. I've asked to provide conditions where high detail and high ISO are simultaneously mandatory and after 3 weeks I still haven't had any answer.
Actually, I did briefly compare at all ISO levels The thing is, higher ISO shots from the 5DS R appear sharper and more detailed than at ISO 100... but this is merely perceptual, and is simply because they're noisier. The ISO 100 shot gives a more honest representation of the captured detail.

I don't think there are many situations where high ISO and high detail are simultaneously necessary - but I can see why, for instance, bird photographers shooting in less than ideal light with fast shutter speeds could benefit from that combination. For a 36MP camera, the K-1II does an excellent job of retaining enough detail at higher ISO settings, based on the test shots...
01-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #787
Pentaxian

Grilled cockroaches is an increasingly popular dish, not yet as popular as french fries. For shooting cockroaches in dark places, I would recommend using a speed-light, the flash burst is so short that cock roaches don't have time to react.

Anyway, the only case I see shooting at high ISO without a tripod is indoor sports, concerts and when I forget to bring a tripod at night, and in all of those cases, motions blur is what impact sharpness, before the effort of the accelerator can be seen.
You can't expect review sites to have information that comes from actually use the camera. I've never seen a review that would require more than couple hours.

01-14-2019, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #788
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You can't expect review sites to have information that comes from actually use the camera. I've never seen a review that would require more than couple hours.
I've walked around camera shops downtown last week. I came home with a feeling that the camera industry is turning into utter non-sense. I've seen loads of Canikon DSLR lenses for sale (a lot of them as recent models from the last five years or so), and I've seen the huge Canon 28-70 f2 that sells for 2500 euro, mounted on a size reduced EOS R also for 2500 euros (that's 5K for a 30Mp 24x36 camera and a standard zoom that doesn't even go wide to 24mm). I don't know were we're are going, but for me the camera market is self destructing. Honestly, who's going to spend 10K for a 24x36 mirrorless system? and customers asking for non-sense features such as 4K and now 8K video on a still camera. That's ridiculous, the camera market is going nowhere. I remember the days of the K10, K7, K5, it was fun, you'd spend 1K for christmas and be trilled by the beautiful photos taken... not it's different: you are told that your 2 years old camera is worth nothing and that you need a camera system that has no mirrorless otherwise you can't take pictures and for this mirrorless camera system you need to dump all the lenses you have and spend at least 5 grands. I don't think wages are increasing as fast as the price of new camera systems (curiously , Pentax prices are some of the lowest prices, so I would suspect that Pentax prices are going to increase as well).
01-14-2019, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #789
Pentaxian

I've walked around camera shops downtown last week. I came home with a feeling that the camera industry is turning into utter non-sense. I've seen loads of Canikon DSLR lenses for sale (a lot of them as recent models from the last five years or so), and I've seen the huge Canon 28-70 f2 that sells for 2500 euro, mounted on a size reduced EOS R also for 2500 euros (that's 5K for a 30Mp 24x36 camera and a standard zoom that doesn't even go wide to 24mm). I don't know were we're are going, but for me the camera market is self destructing. Honestly, who's going to spend 10K for a 24x36 mirrorless system? and customers asking for non-sense features such as 4K and now 8K video on a still camera. That's ridiculous, the camera market is going nowhere. I remember the days of the K10, K7, K5, it was fun, you'd spend 1K for christmas and be trilled by the beautiful photos taken... not it's different: you are told that your 2 years old camera is worth nothing and that you need a camera system that has no mirrorless otherwise you can't take pictures and for this mirrorless camera system you need to dump all the lenses you have and spend at least 5 grands.
I spent $300 less than 1K for Christmas, and I am thoroughly enjoying my KP.
01-14-2019, 08:35 AM   #790
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Actually, I did briefly compare at all ISO levels The thing is, higher ISO shots from the 5DS R appear sharper and more detailed than at ISO 100.
I guess you haven't looked at imaging-resources shots where I see the 5DSr details vanishing as ISO increases.
01-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #791
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess you haven't looked at imaging-resources shots where I see the 5DSr details vanishing as ISO increases.
Not yet... but I'll be heading over there presently

EDIT: OK, I see what you mean. Comparing the ISO 6400 shots between the 5DS R and K-1II is quite enlightening

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-14-2019 at 08:49 AM.
01-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #792
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I spent $300 less than 1K for Christmas, and I am thoroughly enjoying my KP.
Pentax haven't raised their prices as much as other brands. Go buy a X-T2 or X-T3, that's 1350 and 1500, when the KP sells for 800.
01-14-2019, 08:39 AM   #793
Pentaxian

Pentax haven't raised their prices as much as other brands. Go buy a X-T2 or X-T3, that's 1350 and 1500, when the KP sells for 800.
Since I'm a Pentax user, and not interested in grass on other side of the fence, I don't spend much time following their prices.
01-14-2019, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #794
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Since I'm a Pentax user, and not interested in grass on other side of the fence, I don't spend much time following their prices.
It's amazing how much time that saves. The only time I look at prices of other brands is when I'm in the market for a camera, or some one on the forum posts something totally stupid that needs correction.

But it's funny, whenever someone posts something ridiculous and I think "that can't be right." it isn't.

---------- Post added 01-14-19 at 10:48 AM ----------

(curiously , Pentax prices are some of the lowest prices, so I would suspect that Pentax prices are going to increase as well).
Only if they change their philosophy.... which they may have done. Their policy of best available off the shelf tech instead of development of proprietary systems, limits them, but it also keeps prices low.
01-14-2019, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #795
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Honestly, who's going to spend 10K for a 24x36 mirrorless system?
Are they expecting it to be mostly professionals? My wife and I make a very good living, have a nice house, nice cars, we take excellent vacations... she'd look at me like I had three heads if I suggested that I was going to spend $10k on camera equipment. She looked at me like I had two heads when I told her I spent $400 on a lens.

And then you consider that the $10k system you just bought into is only produces marginally better images than one you could have purchased for $2k. You'd have to look hard with some serious pixel peeping in edge case photos to tell the difference between that Canon kit you described and a used K-3ii with a 16-85 mounted on it you could get for $1k.