Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I guess that's why Leica, Nikon, Canon and Promaster still build film cameras. The last one is the only one that doesn't cost a left arm.

Edit: The Promaster 2500PK also takes k-mount lenses! I shouldn't have left out Cosina which also takes k-mount.
Kenko as well..........
Kenko SLR

09-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #77
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
2. There are no plans for 35mm full-size sensor but instead development of superior 645 digital is ongoing, the result targeted to serious amateurs. (Therefore cheaper than rival systems?)
Pentax had better hurry. I'm still shooting landscapes with a Pentax 6x7 but am going to buy a DSLR in the next 6 months. From my perspective, the number of pixels is important because most of my prints are 24" x 30" and up. 12MP is not enough pixels, but the 21MP of the Canon 5D MkII looks like it will be OK.

I've been waiting for Pentax so my 6x7 lenses would work, but now there's an adapter available on eBay for 6x7 to EOS. A larger sensor would be preferable because there's less crop factor, but if the 645D isn't available, and priced right, my purchase will not be Pentax.
09-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Honestly, I dont care what kind of sensor is in my camera as long as it produces great quality photographs in tandem with my lenses. It could be full frame, APS-C, or tin foil pie pan, I really don't care! My lenses fit all Pentax cameras, full frame and cropped, and the world wont end either way if we get a high quality APS-C or a full frame in the next year or so.

I bet if you took every full frame camera on the market at present and compared photos made from them along with the top 5 APS-C cameras (with relative lenses), 95% of those who judged could not tell a difference in the end result.

The rest is just minutiae.

Jason
go the tinfoil pie pan sensor with new T.O.N.G.U.E. (tm) autocleaning system!
09-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Exactly. I really don't get the FF or bust people. Maybe 1% of the market actually needs FF...if that. Why do people always gripe about Pentax needing it? Canon, Nikon and now Sony & Leica have camera's that suit your needs. Why does it matter what name is on the front? Just buy one if that's what you want.

I personally want something smaller, and if Pentax doesn't join the MFT's consortium then I will probably switch to Olympus. I'm going to use what ever brand suits my needs. I suggest the FF people do the same.
We gripe about it because we have nice collections of Pentax lenses that won't mount on a Canon, Nikon, Sony or Leica, and we're not interested in having to start from scratch. I'm sure your own equipment collection isn't all that extensive if you're ready to jump brands just to get something a bit smaller. I never had any expectation about "MFT" from Pentax to "gripe" about (as you put it), but I've always had the expectation that they would ultimately come out with a FF dSLR at some point, since apart from the sensor cost/supplier issues that caused them to reconsider, that is what they planned to introduce from the beginning (remember the MZ-D?). Amazing how everyone who expresses this "buy another brand" sentiment thinks Pentax is best served by its customers going elsewhere for what they want!

09-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
We gripe about it because we have nice collections of Pentax lenses that won't mount on a Canon, Nikon, Sony or Leica, and we're not interested in having to start from scratch. I'm sure your own equipment collection isn't all that extensive if you're ready to jump brands just to get something a bit smaller. I never had any expectation about "MFT" from Pentax to "gripe" about (as you put it), but I've always had the expectation that they would ultimately come out with a FF dSLR at some point, since apart from the sensor cost/supplier issues that caused them to reconsider, that is what they planned to introduce from the beginning (remember the MZ-D?). Amazing how everyone who expresses this "buy another brand" sentiment thinks Pentax is best served by its customers going elsewhere for what they want!
I don't want or need FF, but I certainly understand why others do. What I don't understand is that they actually believe that Pentax will ever give them a FF body, when they're provided ample evidence that it's not going to happen. It's getting rather ... quixotic to say the least. Yes, it's a pain to switch systems, but life is short and there's art to be made - don't cripple your vision because of something silly like brand loyalty.
09-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Amazing how everyone who expresses this "buy another brand" sentiment thinks Pentax is best served by its customers going elsewhere for what they want!
It's just the reality, and I hope you and Anastigmat would accept it.

There is no FF in Pentax's foreseeable future, and if you believe FF would serve your purpose best, it is now the time to move on.
09-30-2008, 11:54 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
I don't want or need FF, but I certainly understand why others do. What I don't understand is that they actually believe that Pentax will ever give them a FF body, when they're provided ample evidence that it's not going to happen. It's getting rather ... quixotic to say the least. Yes, it's a pain to switch systems, but life is short and there's art to be made - don't cripple your vision because of something silly like brand loyalty.
not really a lot of 'evidence', lots of rumors "FF in september..." so you wait and hope, but the way I read the interview with marketing FF will be after, pro apsc and micro 4/3rds so basically never, but then we are up to prototype 4 or 5? of 645D, 3 or 4 of which have been shown at PMA etc but not released. Basically things have changed that much and that many times I dont think Pentax really know definetly what they are going to doing in 6 months

And like 70-200 / 60-250 you sit waiting, because it "wont be long now", and then 1-2 years has passed

personally I have just seen a pentax kmount to sony alpha adapter, so a900 looks more tempting, but then you lose green button, tav modes and lots of other nice things about pentax
10-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Amazing how everyone who expresses this "buy another brand" sentiment thinks Pentax is best served by its customers going elsewhere for what they want!
I'm sure they have thought about you FF advocates, and they made a calculated risk that they'd make more money by luring in new customers than service those looking for FF.

No sense in whining the same things over and over again while lusting over the new FF DSLRs. Pentax has already made it clear that there's no FF in the immediate future. Best to move now if your need is also immediate. If Pentax does go under because of a lack of an FF offering, that would be their fault, while you'd be happily shooting with the FF system of your choice.

10-01-2008, 01:16 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
We gripe about it because we have nice collections of Pentax lenses that won't mount on a Canon, Nikon, Sony or Leica,
Not even, true... small surgery (which can be undone) is sufficient to use a Pentax lens on an EOS body. lot of people do this, you might want to ask at PDML (Pentax users Mailing list).
10-01-2008, 01:50 AM   #85
Pentaxian

Pentax can also go under because of an FF offering, you know? They said this: they have to make a profit from every camera (Sony now have big loses, will they recover with the A900?). Can they do that, if they launch a FF camera next year? Are you prepared to pay ~3000 euro for something like that, and also buy new lenses if needed? I know I'm not (but probably I'll celebrate this event with a new DA* or Limited! So, Pentax, hurry up! ).

Yes, I would really like to see a bigger format Pentax camera; I won't buy something like that for a while, probably I wouldn't afford it anyway - and the K20D is an excellent camera, even if not the fastest (well... I'm not fast either; I'm the one who needs to be "improved", and not my camera). But it makes you more confident in this system's future (not that I think Pentax will "die"); it's easier to "justify" new lenses and so on
Anyway, what makes me dream about a bigger format is a real viewfinder (so it would be nice if Pentax will improve it also on DX DSLRs). I can't look through (let's say) a Pentax 645 and then through my K20D without feeling like crying
10-01-2008, 03:00 AM   #86
Inactive Account

I agree. And now with photokina 08 in the past, it seems the crowd in here feel emboldened to swarm your statements with extra 'love-it or leave-it' sauce on top, yeesh.

To those I would say - Why stay Pentax? Its not a little thing called 'brand loyalty' standing in anyones way, thank you very much. If Canon built SR into the 5DII, I would consider switching, but they won't. They're more interested in selling you IS lens technology. Thats a huge waste to me. Nikon - same thing. Sony has a FF body now, with SR. And its going to be quite large and expensive, aimed at the pros, not to mention that their lenses are extra costly and limited in selection by comparison. Now look at the K20. Great build, SR built in to body, great price and a fine sensor, albiet one that lets a lot of light my lenses harvest fall off the sides.

For those of us with sizeable investments in glass for K-mount, the only thing better would be to make use of all that extra light. Its not insanity, its not whining, its just a fact for some of us: The K20 would serve us better as a FF. Its a fine camera which serves me well, and will continue to do so until there is a more suitable option, but in a real world where things cost money, that doesn't currently exist. But thats not going to stop me from thinking FF is a good idea. Please accept there are others unlike yourself in this world and try not to kick them as you pass...

edit - because I know the inevitability of a response based on selected parcels of my post while having the entire point missed, I will intentionally avoid this thread, I just needed to get this very reasonable point of my chest. If you are one who feels the need to tell me I'm somehow wrong in my wants - you can sit back from the keyboard, take a deep breath and edit a picture or something, I won't be here to read it.

Last edited by thePiRaTE!!; 10-01-2008 at 03:07 AM.
10-01-2008, 04:03 AM   #87
Veteran Member

We gripe about it because we have nice collections of Pentax lenses that won't mount on a Canon, Nikon, Sony or Leica, and we're not interested in having to start from scratch.
There is no need to start from scratch, because those beautiful and fantastic Pentax lenses works just fine on Pentax APS-C DSLR's.
10-01-2008, 05:46 AM   #88
Veteran Member

I'm new to Eos dslr having added two 5D this year, both at less than $1,900 each brand new. I'd like to respond to your statement:

"If Canon built SR into the 5DII, I would consider switching, but they won't. They're more interested in selling you IS lens technology. Thats a huge waste to me."

I own one IS Eos lens, the 70-200mm 2.8. I've added the 1.4x and 2x canon made teleconverters. I'm getting great image stabilized images that I can SEE stabilized in the viewfinder with or without the teleconverters. An added bonus is canon made the teleconveters stackable and I'm blown away by the image quality using all three items together even though its f8 and I still get full autofocus via center point only. So with one lens and two teleconverters I'm capable of shooting everything from 70mm to 560mm all image stabilized & best of all I can see the image stabilize in the viewfinder. As an added bonus I also added to my kit Canon's fully functional 12mm and 25mm extention tubes so this same 70-200mm IS lens serves as a IS macro zoom lens with full metering, full metadata, full autofocusing. Best of all the 70-200mm 2.8 IS sells new for less than the long ago discontinued 80-200mm 2.8 FA sells for used. I still own Pentax glass and assessories. There were so many rumors concerning full frame k Mount dslr on this forum over the past year it seemed a very likely release for photokina and a great reason to hold onto all my old K-A and FA mount lenses. Full Frame not only didn't happen but now we're back to possibly roadmapping the 645D instead. Oh Well, the "rumors" section should instead be called pentax product dreams as "pentax news and rumors" gives it to much credibility.
10-01-2008, 06:17 AM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
No sense in whining the same things over and over again while lusting over the new FF DSLRs. Pentax has already made it clear that there's no FF in the immediate future. .

No. They have not made anything clear. They may indeed never be a 645D either.
10-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
Basically things have changed that much and that many times I dont think Pentax really know definetly what they are going to doing in 6 months

...which is basically what they are saying. Everything is uncommitical. They are not spilling the beans but saying that 645D and FF are all options provided they are financially viable.