Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #556
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, distortion is corrected by a lot of glass, so that rules out small for an ultrawide...

...Lenses around the natural registration distance, the 35 to 55mm range, don't need a lot done to them.
This is exactly why Pentax put, what, six elements on the front of the basic FA 50mm f1.4 arrangement to make the DFA 50mm f1.4?

I think it's pretty clear standards have moved on a bit in the past 40 years...

Though I'll fess up to being someone happy to put a F4 lens on my K1 when the f2.8 is available...

-Eric

01-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #557
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know if this has been mentioned (there are a lot of posts here!) but SRS in the UK are running an RI sponsored competition where the prize is a navy blue KP (with engraved metal hot shoe cover). I doubt they only made one

Having said which, they do say exclusive, so who knows?

But it might show direction of thinking.
01-12-2019, 10:50 AM - 2 Likes   #558
Veteran Member

Yeah, one of this forum's very best photographers, Singapore's Pinholecam, did a bicycle tour in Western Australia with the K-1, FA 77, FA 31 and M20.

But for his next trip in New Zealand, I noticed he had the K-1, FA 77, FA31 and the Samyang 14mm.

That Samyang is a much, much bigger and heavier lens, and you don't want to carry any extra bulk or weight when on a bike. But he did.

Perhaps the Samyang is a good lens, and the M20 is a small one, and ultimately it's about the pictures.
When I was using the K-5 my set was DA40 A28ƒ2 and the M20. Since getting the K-1 I had to get the FA43 to replace the DA40. The A28 took the role of the M20. For now I have been using only those two lenses. I would probably carry the FA77 but it has taken one to many front end falls on my tripod. The focus mechanism has seized up. Last time I used it was photographing the drummer Steve Gadd playing with Chic Corea at the Blue Note in NYC. It was actually when it finally seized up on me.

I would probably carry the M20 as well but it also has taken a front end spill on a tripod. At infinity focus you can see it decenter.
01-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #559
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I don't know if this has been mentioned (there are a lot of posts here!) but SRS in the UK are running an RI sponsored competition where the prize is a navy blue KP (with engraved metal hot shoe cover). I doubt they only made one

If you win, do you also get the empty can of navy blue spray paint, Ffking?

01-12-2019, 11:45 AM - 3 Likes   #560
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
When I was using the K-5 my set was DA40 A28ƒ2 and the M20. Since getting the K-1 I had to get the FA43 to replace the DA40. The A28 took the role of the M20. For now I have been using only those two lenses. I would probably carry the FA77 but it has taken one to many front end falls on my tripod. The focus mechanism has seized up. Last time I used it was photographing the drummer Steve Gadd playing with Chic Corea at the Blue Note in NYC. It was actually when it finally seized up on me.

I would probably carry the M20 as well but it also has taken a front end spill on a tripod. At infinity focus you can see it decenter.
(Laughs). You know tripods have *three* legs, right?

01-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #561
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
This is exactly why Pentax put, what, six elements on the front of the basic FA 50mm f1.4 arrangement to make the DFA 50mm f1.4?
Yeah, as outstanding as the DFA appears to be, all fifties from all brands are good because of this.

Not much better bang for buck than something like the M50 f1.7 stopped down to f8.
01-12-2019, 06:30 PM - 3 Likes   #562
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In-lens focus motor didn't noticeably enlarge the 55-300mm
That is because they stated in interviews that the PLM moves the rear group for focus and the group is small and lightweight and that the PLM system would not work for lenses with larger, heavier lens elements and groups that move to effect focusing. So, it appears that the PLM system is only for slower, lighter lenses.

01-13-2019, 11:09 AM   #563
Veteran Member

(Laughs). You know tripods have *three* legs, right?
I need to stick to my monopod. It's easier to operate.
01-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #564
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I've been pretty happy with mine at f8 on APS-C. But I said in my post that I thought that Pentax would probably go for something bigger that was usable for more applications than just landscape stopped down.
This image from dxomark shows how my DA 15 Ltd behaves at f8. It's a sharpness field map.

Pentax HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited mounted on Pentax K-3 : Measurements for full measurements.

I like several things about the lens, size, flare, rendering but find the corner sharpness not good enough. No lens frustrates me as much as this one. At close or intermediate distances ffor more "reportage" style it's great. Doesn't do group photos very well though because people at edges become very blurry regardless of aperture Neither buildings or spaces. I've been wondering if my copy is faulty since purchase but have come to the conclusion it's just how the lens behaves. Obviously some people have excellent copies though.
01-13-2019, 11:40 AM - 3 Likes   #565
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
This image from dxomark shows how my DA 15 Ltd behaves at f8. It's a sharpness field map.

Pentax HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited mounted on Pentax K-3 : Measurements for full measurements.

I like several things about the lens, size, flare, rendering but find the corner sharpness not good enough. No lens frustrates me as much as this one. At close or intermediate distances ffor more "reportage" style it's great. Doesn't do group photos very well though because people at edges become very blurry regardless of aperture Neither buildings or spaces. I've been wondering if my copy is faulty since purchase but have come to the conclusion it's just how the lens behaves. Obviously some people have excellent copies though.
It's an interesting lens. I don't tend to focus it but use hyperfocal focusing. But the contrast and flare resistance are what keep me coming back...

01-13-2019, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #566
Pentaxian

It's an interesting lens. I don't tend to focus it but use hyperfocal focusing. But the contrast and flare resistance are what keep me coming back...

Nothing to complain about in that image at these sizes. With my lens there's a noticeable difference between my GR II and my DA15 on K-3 II at web resolutions. (different field of view of course) The GR is much sharper. Except in the 1 out of 100 (probably less actually) photos where for some reason it clicks into place because the view hides the flaws of the lens.
01-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #567
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ditto. It works because it captures some parts of a scene really well and when we look at a photograph, we focus our attention on parts, not the whole. If you are focusing on the edges of a building or people on the ends of a straight line, you will quickly notice the parts the DA 15 doesn't capture well. A close MFD and ultra-wide FOV allow you to capture unusual perspectives that sometimes make you go wow. Personally, I like the challenge of a lens that forces you to think about the picture you want to take.
01-13-2019, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #568
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I need to stick to my monopod. It's easier to operate.

Well, my method is always put one of the three feet in direct line with the lens fitted, and don't knock it, stay sober.
01-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #569
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote

I really like the current 'silver' KP .... it looks so much like the cameras of thirty years ago.
01-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #570
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
BCN will maybe publish 2018 figures soon to see if that happend.
BCN Awards for the year of 2018: Canon #1 in DSLR and Mirrorless for Japan | Canon News

After 6.7% in 2015, 4.8% in 2016 and 4.2% in 2017 Ricoh Imaging had 3.1% of the Japanese DSLR market in 2018 (as measured by BCN).

The Japanese DSLR market is itself declining rapidly: according to CIPA figures covering the first 11 months of the year shipments to Japan went down 28.4%.
Closed Thread