Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1009 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2019, 12:14 PM - 2 Likes   #856
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

In fact, we've gone massively off-topic here. And I'm as guilty as the rest. Call myself a moderator?! Sheesh...

I'm going to open a new thread on so-called equivalence and state my own personal understanding of what it is, why I think it can be a useful concept, why it has helped me, and why so many folks get confused by it.

And, when I've opened that thread, I cordially invite interested parties to join the thread and kick the stuffing out of me

01-24-2019, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #857
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
In fact, we've gone massively off-topic here. And I'm as guilty as the rest. Call myself a moderator?! Sheesh...

I'm going to open a new thread on so-called equivalence and state my own personal understanding of what it is, why I think it can be a useful concept, why it has helped me, and why so many folks get confused by it.

And, when I've opened that thread, I cordially invite interested parties to join the thread and kick the stuffing out of me
and I'll explain why it is irrelevant to others of us - during my walk today I decided that goals play a major role here.
01-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #858
Pentaxian

Norm...

If I take two portrait photos of my friend at the same camera to subject distance - one with my APS-C Pentax K-3 plus Helios-44-2 58mm f/2 lens wide open, the other with my full frame Sony A7 MkII and, say, a Jupiter-9 85mm f/2 lens set at f/2.8 - are you saying those shots won't display roughly the same field of view, and roughly the same depth of field?

I'm not talking about every aspect of the two photos being identical (colours, contrast, resolution, aberrations, out-of-focus rendering qualities etc.), but just those two properties - field of view, and depth of field - being very similar.
Ya, I get that. But really is FL all you care about. Especially with portraits, I'll shoot portraits with my Sigma 70 macro or DA*55. It's not the FL, it's the characteristics of the lens I'm looking for.
01-24-2019, 01:50 PM   #859
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ya, I get that. But really is FL all you care about.
Absolutely not. My point is, it gets you in the ball-park in terms of framing and creative depth of field.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's not the FL, it's the characteristics of the lens I'm looking for.
Agreed, Norm... Me too. But if we're trying to approximate similar result between formats, or understand how a specific focal length lens will be useful on another format, broadly equivalent field of view and creative depth-of-field gets us in the ball-park ... after which the character of each lens kicks in. My definition of "equivalence" (flawed though it may be) relates only to the field of view and depth of field. Personally, I consider rendering to be a different though equally important subject.

More to come in a thread I'm working on. And I hope you'll contribute to that, as your views (and those of everyone else here) are valid, important and appreciated. I just can't promise to agree with them

I like these debates where we have very different opinions yet bang each other over the head respectfully

01-24-2019, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #860
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I have in my bag a K-1ll with K105/2.8 and a KP with DA70/2.4, which should I use for an outdoors couple shot?

.:
01-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #861
Pentaxian

But if we're trying to approximate similar result
What is a similar result?
01-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #862
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If I have in my bag a K-1ll with K105/2.8 and a KP with DA70/2.4, which should I use for an outdoors couple shot?

.:
l would use K1ll with DA70.

01-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #863
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What is a similar result?
My loose definition of "similar" result is, similar field of view and similar depth of field. Beyond that, we get into lens characteristics and camera sensor performance differences - and all bets are off there. To me, field of view and depth of field get folks in the ball-park

New thread about to be posted...
01-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #864
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
l would use K1ll with DA70.
Would you use it at f/11 or would you be willing to tolerate vignetting / soft corners at wider apertures?
01-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #865
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Would you use it at f/11 or would you be willing to tolerate vignetting / soft corners at wider apertures?
I would use whatever aperture that give the DOF I need, vignetting is easy to correct in post if needed, and I'm pretty sure DA70 give better corner performance than K105 on K1II.
01-24-2019, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #866
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The whole point of equivalence is that you have to have a point of reference. There needs to be some size sensor camera that you are used to shooting. For me, oddly, I was used to shooting APS-C cameras, ever since the K-100 came out and equivalence helped me to understand, not just how focal lengths look different when shot on a different size sensor, but also how depth of field changes. I was used to shooting my DA 15 at f8 on APS-C and suddenly, I was shooting at f8 on a K-1 and I didn't have the same in focus range to my images. It didn't take too long to figure it out, but knowing that I had to stop down a bit more was helpful. The fact that I liked the FA 77 on APS-C let me know that I would like a 135mm prime on full frame.

The whole point of the equations is not to "prove" anything, but to help us to understand how to move between formats and get similar results to what we are used to on whatever format we are used to. It also does explain why larger sensors tend to perform better than smaller ones.

---------- Post added 01-24-19 at 05:27 PM ----------

.:
Why wouldn't you use your FA 77 on the K-1 II?
01-24-2019, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #867
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

In case you haven't seen it yet, I posted a new thread:

"Equivalence" between formats and lenses... - PentaxForums.com

My apologies for my own part in taking this thread off-topic For those that are interested, let's pick up the equivalence discussion at the new thread? Thanks
01-24-2019, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #868
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

.:
I would shoot both, but I have a feeling that DA 70mm f2.4 is going to really be sharp. The LTD line is really among Pentax's best.
01-24-2019, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #869

In case you haven't seen it yet, I posted a new thread:

"Equivalence" between formats and lenses... - PentaxForums.com

My apologies for my own part in taking this thread off-topic For those that are interested, let's pick up the equivalence discussion at the new thread? Thanks
Why don't you move the equivalence discussion from this thread to the new one?
01-24-2019, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #870
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

.:
Two-fist it, one camera in each hand. The shake reduction should make one-handing these combos no problem.
Closed Thread