Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1009 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #241
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A "missed opportunity", right?
Yet Ricoh Imaging did their homework and found out a 50mm f/1.4 was the most sought-after lens.
However nice those survey's are, I think they would have sold a lot more copy's of a 50mm/f1.8 lens for 899 euro. The price point of the dfa* isn't for everyone.

01-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #242
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Customers are leaving because:

- they don't rely on pixel shift as any tiny movement is problematic for it to provide superior resolution
- and the lack of prime lenses that they need
- auto-focus
- speed of operation / buffer

I can give three examples of forum members who left Pentax, no counting the PF member who quietly sold their K1 system in the market place..

Please give me pseudo-names of 3 new Pentax customers who came from S, or C or N in last quarter of 2018.

Yes, correct , and customers don't care about how long it takes to develop a new camera, customer look at options in the market and select what they want. It's not the job of customer to wait for the camera maker to deliver, it's up to the camera maker to deliver the product customer want to buy at the time they want to buy. Imagine you are thirsty, you order a bottle of water but the water company comes back with water the next day after you already got water some someone else.. too late. Timing is very important in business, timing is even more important that details of the product. Pentax customers are patient customer, they wait, but they don't wait two years for having a lens, come on!
Speed of operation has zero to due with "buffer". The slow camera response is entirely due to the slow UHS-I storage bus.
01-07-2019, 12:41 PM - 3 Likes   #243
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
However nice those survey's are, I think they would have sold a lot more copy's of a 50mm/f1.8 lens for 899 euro. The price point of the dfa* isn't for everyone.
Exactly the problem I was describing: anyone thinks they know better
01-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #244

Hey, Ricoh, listen bro, give me this in K3 shaped body and we'll be best friends again!

https://www.digitalrev.com/article/could-the-sony-a7000-be-the-greatest-aps-c-camera-ever-made

---------- Post added 07-01-19 at 09:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
M4/3 sensors are much bigger than the Q or Q7s. The whole idea of the Q was to make a system that could use the inherent advantages of a small sensor (increased DOF, small telephotos and zooms, simple adaptation of c-mount and other lenses, leaf shutters) in a way that the M4/3 can only do awkwardly, if at all (I shudder every time I read about a M4/3 user butchering a classic cine lens to make it fit on a M4/3 only to find out it doesn't over the frame.) If the Nikon 1 had been built as a more open platform like the Q I think it might have had a better chance, the 1" seems to be a better solution for a compact-sensor camera—as the success of the Sony RX platform has proven (if only they made it with an interchangeable lens mount!)
Q system starting with 1/1.6" CMOS could have attracted many buyers, but somebody very "inteligent" decided to rush it into production with 1/2.3" sensor like worst low-end compact cameras have. That combined with price and "toy lenses" killed the project right away from start.

Instead the right way was to introduce camera later introduced as Q7 is and combine it with just three solid performer lenses. Some 24-60/2.8-4 + 50-200/4-5.6 and some 35/1.8 35mm equivallent lenses. Thats all for start. No toy stuff. Just proper glass+metal lenses with perfect image quality straight wide open. Zero care about initial price, just provide solid camera that many people want. Later add some faster telephoto like 75/1.8 and maybe some wide lens like 12/4 equiv.. That might have been superb tiny travell kit for people who want to travell light and still have option to play with camera on higher level with good image output. Something like film A110 used to be.

No.. instead they introduced horrible noisy and somewhat ugly camera with underdog outdated lowend sensor and with plastic crappy lenses called toys. Marketing suicide 1st level.

01-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
People using Pentax and people that left other brands for Pentax came for the FA LTD's and DA LTD's
Not really. Some people, myself included came from different reason - Pentax promised a bright APS-C future.
01-07-2019, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #246

Customers are leaving because:

- they don't rely on pixel shift as any tiny movement is problematic for it to provide superior resolution
- and the lack of prime lenses that they need
- auto-focus
- speed of operation / buffer

I can give three examples of forum members who left Pentax, no counting the PF member who quietly sold their K1 system in the market place..

Please give me pseudo-names of 3 new Pentax customers who came from S, or C or N in last quarter of 2018.

Yes, correct , and customers don't care about how long it takes to develop a new camera, customer look at options in the market and select what they want. It's not the job of customer to wait for the camera maker to deliver, it's up to the camera maker to deliver the product customer want to buy at the time they want to buy. Imagine you are thirsty, you order a bottle of water but the water company comes back with water the next day after you already got water some someone else.. too late. Timing is very important in business, timing is even more important that details of the product. Pentax customers are patient customer, they wait, but they don't wait two years for having a lens, come on!

Yes. And Customers are buying into SYSTEM. Not into camera. Ricoh can have excellent K1 (Which it is not!), but WITHOUT comparable portfolio of LENSES the whole system is messed up right from start. And what is worst, they are not even able to catch breath and deliver few new FF lenses every year. Instead we have 1-2 products per year. And considering the fact, that Pentax has lost Tokina, Tamron, Zeiss and Sigma, the situation is even worse. Because Canon, Nikon and Sony do have options to use these new lenses. Not to mention that they are able to deliver bunch of own lenses every year. Who on earth is going to invest into Pentax system over the fully established and supported systems. Just few strange gus and hardcore pentaxians or pentax believers who already have many old FF lenses. Many of them already left.. I saw several offerings of barely used K1 setups during last months as new FF systems were delivered by C/N/S.

FF battle for Ricoh is lost. But it seems that they are too slow to realize this and they, as we can see now, decided to let neglected 645 and APS-C systems die, while they are trying to do unrealistic marketing miracle with very weak FF system.

Maybe my words are strong, but we will see... K mount market share is disappearing rapidly..

Last edited by MarkJerling; 01-07-2019 at 10:23 PM.
01-07-2019, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #247
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Exactly the problem I was describing: anyone thinks they know better
Usually, executives are always right, but customers have the last word.

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Maybe my words are strong, but we will see... K mount market share is disappearing rapidly..
The future is dark.

---------- Post added 07-01-19 at 21:36 ----------

K mount market share is disappearing rapidly..
K mount market share is 100% because K mount market is shared between Pentax and Pentax.

01-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #248

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I agree. I own the 15-30/24-70/70-200 combo and they are excellent.
Nice.. so you have two tamron lenses that are available for canon and nikon with working VC, longer varranty and are cheaper. And then you have overpriced 70-200 which has outdated AF motor, while other users can get cheaper, faster focusing and still optically excellent Tamron 70-200/2.8 G2 that ruled through many tests.. so where is the point of investing into Pentax?

Maybe your pink glasses are too pinky that you cannot see through

Or maybe the new DFA50/1.4 is the gem that should attract everybody?
Nope.
Others simply can buy the Tokina version... or any other 50/1.4 like Zeiss Otus, Zeiss Milvus, or own system 50/1.4 lenses or even F1.2 lenses. They DON'T CARE about that lens at all. Only pentaxians do. Its like religion.. but very weird religion.
01-07-2019, 01:49 PM - 3 Likes   #249
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice.. so you have two tamron lenses that are available for canon and nikon with working VC, longer varranty and are cheaper. And then you have overpriced 70-200 which has outdated AF motor, while other users can get cheaper, faster focusing and still optically excellent Tamron 70-200/2.8 G2 that ruled through many tests.. so where is the point of investing into Pentax?

Maybe your pink glasses are too pinky that you cannot see through

Or maybe the new DFA50/1.4 is the gem that should attract everybody?
Nope.
Others simply can buy the Tokina version... or any other 50/1.4 like Zeiss Otus, Zeiss Milvus, or own system 50/1.4 lenses or even F1.2 lenses. They DON'T CARE about that lens at all. Only pentaxians do. Its like religion.. but very weird religion.
I see that you have a big problem with pentax and would love to own Sony. Don't really understand why you want to attack people at forum who actually loves to shot with Pentax for -what ever- reason. Which might look to YOU an idiotic thing to do? Do you think that these people(me included) will come to you and thank and cherish you as their saint, who showed to them what is right?

or are you just basically trolling?

Edit: forgot to
01-07-2019, 01:52 PM - 2 Likes   #250
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Likely senario was the most demand for a 50mm was from Tokina, so it was acceptable to put a few Pentax customers on hold, and get Tokina's money instead [business tactic]

---------- Post added 07-01-19 at 21:54 ----------

Only pentaxians do. Its like religion.. but very weird religion.
and you are one of the Pentaxians. Let's have a prayer together
01-07-2019, 01:56 PM - 10 Likes   #251
Pentaxian

Nice.. snip.. but very weird religion.
May I be honest? I really dislike it if a thread goes down the drain and becomes an assemblage of half baked armchair business assessments by internet experts featuring as low substance as irritating metaphors.
01-07-2019, 02:00 PM - 3 Likes   #252
Pentaxian

Nice.. so you have two tamron lenses that are available for canon and nikon with working VC, longer varranty and are cheaper.
I know how to read the prices and the specification of those lenses, unfortunately, I already have the DFA15-30 and DFA70-200. But you don't, so I would recommend those lenses to you.

---------- Post added 07-01-19 at 22:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
May I be honest? I really dislike it if a thread goes down the drain and becomes an assemblage of half baked armchair business assessments by internet experts featuring as low substance as irritating metaphors.
It's a kind of intentional provocation, with an agenda in mind (buying cheap Pentax gear second hand from people who decide to sell after reading those comments, or that kind of thing).
01-07-2019, 02:14 PM - 2 Likes   #253
Pentaxian

Usually, executives are always right, but customers have the last word.
Ron isn't a customer.
If I'm not mistaken, he gave up on photography altogether. OTOH, I am a customer.
01-07-2019, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #254
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No.. instead they introduced horrible noisy and somewhat ugly camera with underdog outdated lowend sensor and with plastic crappy lenses called toys. Marketing suicide 1st level.
My Q-7 is not noisy, and the 01, 02, 06 are fine lenses.
The system produces images essentially as good as the K-30 does while being much more convenient to carry around with me.
01-07-2019, 02:19 PM - 2 Likes   #255
Pentaxian

[...]Ricoh can have excellent K1 (Which it is not!), [...] the whole system is fu..ked up right from start. [...] what is worst, they are not even able[...] the situation is even worse.[...]Who on earth is going to invest into Pentax system [...] Just few strange gus and hardcore pentaxians or pentax believers [...]FF battle for Ricoh is lost. [...]they are too slow [...] let neglected 645 and APS-C systems die [...] very weak FF system.[...]K mount market share is disappearing rapidly..
You can bash Pentax how much you want, but all you have are words.
Pentax isn't acting on words. Pentax is adjusting to us buying their products. The K-1 is an excellent camera, and a successful product. The D FA* 50mm f/1.4 is an excellent lens, and a successful product.

---------- Post added 07-01-19 at 11:21 PM ----------

Likely senario was the most demand for a 50mm was from Tokina, so it was acceptable to put a few Pentax customers on hold, and get Tokina's money instead [business tactic]
Likely scenario, that's just some nonsense made up on the spot.
Closed Thread