Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2019, 03:21 AM   #346
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Ricoh Imaging could do what Sigma are doing with their Art lenses in Sony E mount and propose some Pentax lenses in L mount (the prerequisite being Leica accepting Ricoh Imaging to joign the L-mount consortium).
An interesting aspect of such an arrangement would be that there'd be advertising for Pentax.

As long as the L-mount community would be aware of the Pentax lenses in L-mount and these lenses would be attractive in one way or more then perhaps some people would wonder what else is offered under the Pentax brand.

It would seem logical, though, that Ricoh would want to offer their own L-mount camera once they start offering L-mount lenses, wouldn't it? This doesn't seem likely at this point.

In any event, I hope Ricoh will keep delivering the goods for OVF aficionados.

01-09-2019, 03:43 AM   #347
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Trickortreat said: "And as I see people here get lit by rumors ALOT, so why not post rumors? Be they false or not, time will tell.."

[Edit: Changed mind about response in the interests of harmony]

Last edited by clackers; 01-09-2019 at 03:49 AM.
01-09-2019, 03:51 AM   #348
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Trickortreat said: "And as I see people here get lit by rumors ALOT, so why not post rumors? Be they false or not, time will tell.."[Edit: Changed mind about response in the interests of harmony]
[Edit: same]
01-09-2019, 04:01 AM   #349
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

In any event, I hope Ricoh will keep delivering the goods for OVF aficionados.
They make such quality DSLRs that they're foolish not to offer great alternatives as a company like Canon suspends EF development to get behind its RF mount and comes out half-cocked with the awful first offering, the EOS R.

But you can bet that just as the K-1 development occurred in the background unknown to us, on and off over several years before the economics were right for it to be launched, Ricoh will have at least one mirrorless experiment program running in the background. Someone thought that this was the reason for the K-1 still having USB 2, that work might have in fact started before the K-3. Certainly, it was green lit so fast the K-1 shipped without the square crop mode the test units had, the EFCS was added later in firmware, and the Accelerator popped in during the Mk II release when it was perhaps always intended to be there. I've heard the Q was always designed with the O7's sensor in mind, pricing/availability let that happen later on.

Some of the Pentax employees who were involved with the K-01 or Q might still be there and working on the GR III coming out this year. The economics of sensors and EVFs has changed since then and things that they might wish they could have done back in 2012 are now more affordable.

There would be marketing debate over which format - APS-C, FF or MF - for the first mirrorless product. Whatever it is, Niche Marketing 101, it shouldn't be a me-too product, just as the K-1 was not a clone of the Nikon D810, it should have that Pentax special sauce about it. If it contains the same cost, defects and advantages of a mainstream product, might as well buy the mainstream product!

Last edited by clackers; 01-09-2019 at 04:40 AM.
01-09-2019, 04:13 AM   #350
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think Pentax will clearly continue to support APS-C. It is just that they have a fairly complete line up for APS-C. That said, the decision they have made is to be certain that APS-C remains compact and the way to keep APS-C lenses compact is not to have really fast apertures on them. The K mount is a full frame mount. It doesn't have a short registration distance and many of the DA limiteds, other than the really wide angles are very close to covering full frame already. On the other hand, lenses like the FA limiteds do cover full frame, are relatively fast with regard to aperture and are still quite compact.

Regardless, at this point, Pentax has released two full frame cameras and while they have a nice full frame lens line up, I think the only new full frame lens they've released since the K-1's release date has been the DFA *50. I think the rest of the DFA lenses were released with the K-1 or prior to its release. Clearly that has to the point of emphasis right now for them and full frame lenses are very usable on crop cameras. The reverse just doesn't work quite as well.
01-09-2019, 04:29 AM   #351
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Pentax will clearly continue to support APS-C. It is just that they have a fairly complete line up for APS-C. That said, the decision they have made is to be certain that APS-C remains compact and the way to keep APS-C lenses compact is not to have really fast apertures on them.
I just hope they put a lightweight crop body in their lineup to support this KP is on the heavy side and a good pair for rugged DA* lenses. DA LTD primes are not AW type and DA primes are plasticky. I need a light crop body for my plasticky and light DA primes
01-09-2019, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #352
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
I just hope they put a lightweight crop body in their lineup
If they can produce anything with flip screen and performance comparable to the KP, even with a little less features, weighing less than 500g, I'll be all over it.

01-09-2019, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #353
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
If they can produce anything with flip screen and performance comparable to the KP
I dont even need a flip screen.. or performance comparable to KP. I would just want 2 things:
1. modern sensor.
2. it works
let KP class or whatever (K3?) be the flagship...
01-09-2019, 05:51 AM   #354
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
I dont even need a flip screen.. or performance comparable to KP. I would just want 2 things:
1. modern sensor.
2. it works
let KP class or whatever (K3?) be the flagship...
I think they should do something like this too. If I could design it, it would be like this:
- K-mount
- 24mp sensor with PDAF from the K-70/GR III
- IBIS mechanism from the GR III (they must have achieved some real miniaturization to get it in the GR III)
- Mirrorless, with the objective of reducing parts and overall volume/weight
- Medium quality EVF, positioned like a DSLR
- KP-style tilt-screen
- Touch screen
- Same battery as KP/K-70
- Front/rear dial positioned exactly like the KP, no third dial
- Interchangeable grips the same as the KP (i.e. the same accessories could be used)
- Plastic body, with a couple of colorful variations, plus a couple of conservative ones
- 500g max, hopefully less
- Sell in a kit with the collapsible DA18-50 RE
- Kit price: $800 at first, dropping to $500 at EOL
- Sells alongside the K-70, at least for a while

I'm not saying it's going to happen like I said, but in a broader sense I wouldn't be surprised to se a new low-end DSLR in summer, and since the KP exists as a fairly small DSLR now, there is space for the low end to get smaller.
01-09-2019, 06:09 AM   #355
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I wouldn't be surprised to se a new low-end DSLR in summer, and since the KP exists as a fairly small DSLR now, there is space for the low end to get smaller.
Agreed, they need something at the lower end, with reasonable specifications and price,to lure new entrants into the brand....
01-09-2019, 06:31 AM - 3 Likes   #356
Pentaxian

I think they should do something like this too. If I could design it, it would be like this:
- K-mount
- 24mp sensor with PDAF from the K-70/GR III
- IBIS mechanism from the GR III (they must have achieved some real miniaturization to get it in the GR III)
- Mirrorless, with the objective of reducing parts and overall volume/weight
- Medium quality EVF, positioned like a DSLR
- KP-style tilt-screen
- Touch screen
- Same battery as KP/K-70
- Front/rear dial positioned exactly like the KP, no third dial
- Interchangeable grips the same as the KP (i.e. the same accessories could be used)
- Plastic body, with a couple of colorful variations, plus a couple of conservative ones
- 500g max, hopefully less
- Sell in a kit with the collapsible DA18-50 RE
- Kit price: $800 at first, dropping to $500 at EOL
- Sells alongside the K-70, at least for a while

I'm not saying it's going to happen like I said, but in a broader sense I wouldn't be surprised to se a new low-end DSLR in summer, and since the KP exists as a fairly small DSLR now, there is space for the low end to get smaller.
That would require that Pentax re-think their intention to become a "premium brand".
01-09-2019, 06:37 AM - 2 Likes   #357
Pentaxian

- K-mount- 24mp sensor with PDAF from the K-70/GR III- IBIS mechanism from the GR III (they must have achieved some real miniaturization to get it in the GR III)- Mirrorless, with the objective of reducing parts and overall volume/weight- Medium quality EVF, positioned like a DSLR- KP-style tilt-screen- Touch screen- Same battery as KP/K-70- Front/rear dial positioned exactly like the KP, no third dial- Interchangeable grips the same as the KP (i.e. the same accessories could be used)- Plastic body, with a couple of colorful variations, plus a couple of conservative ones- 500g max, hopefully less- Sell in a kit with the collapsible DA18-50 RE- Kit price: $800 at first, dropping to $500 at EOL- Sells alongside the K-70, at least for a while
A new camera that is the same as previous models, no interest, no sales, as with the WG-60. Customers buy with desire and some elements to justify the money spent.
01-09-2019, 06:40 AM   #358
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
A new camera that is the same as previous models, no interest, no sales, as with the WG-60. Customers buy with desire and some elements to justify the money spent.
Do you think MILC would be seen same as DSLR??? It would cause a virtual riot here.
01-09-2019, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #359
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That would require that Pentax re-think their intention to become a "premium brand".
Did Ricoh said they were planning to become a "Premium brand"? Maybe they did, but every company says that when they want increase their margins a bit. If you like "premium", Uniqlo has got some "Premium Down" coats to sell you for about $50. Sorry to get sarcastic on you, but I'm very cynical about that kind of marketing nonsense. In reality, Pentax is still one of the cheaper ILC makers, and value is a virtue in my opinion.

It wasn't intentional, but I just realized that the camera I described is pretty much a Pentax version of the Canon EOS M5 (Kiss M5). That's the best selling camera in Japan at the moment - maybe for the whole year. What Canon understands very well is how to get people in the brand with approachable cameras (light, easy to use, but actually not that cheap) and keep them in the brand for good.

Ultimately, Pentax needs to get new photographers to buy into the brand from the beginning. They can't survive in the long term by just keeping their existing customers and hoping people switch from other systems.
01-09-2019, 07:22 AM   #360
Pentaxian

I'm afraid it's not about the products: while Canon can sell pretty much anything, Pentax has great difficulties in selling even their best products.
Closed Thread