Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1009 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #376
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I own and use a range of Canon lenses (including EF) that cover between 28mm and 300mm, Mountain Vision, so, the answer is yes. Some of them are very good, too.

And the K mount catalogue is extensive, including WR, in-lens motors covering between 15mm and 560mm, if you want to view it that way.

But EF mount and K mount owners will always want more, and there's no way that either they or Canon and Ricoh would agree with you and say their work is done.
Fair enough. But Canon catalog is pretty damn deep both currently and used. Pentax is a lot less deep. Even buying from Japan or scrounging on the forums, some stuff just doesn't appear very often.

01-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #377
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
What you said is only "true" to you.

I can not take serious anything you say when you want a DA 23mm ƒ2 prime.
No really... take any review site. Any. They all rank DA primes higher than DA LTDs.
And what would be bad with da 23mm f2?

---------- Post added 01-09-19 at 07:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Did you mean 21mm f/3.2 lens, or are you asking for a new lens??
New lens ofc
01-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #378
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
....although a tempting Nikon Z6/Z7 successor with the newly announced for pre-order 14-30mm WR lens might my needs better (and maybe sooner and be just as light)....
For about £1000 less you can get the Irix 15mm in F (or K) mount and over a stop more light capture at similar weight to the Z 14-30. Most of the other wide zooms you quote are APSC lenses. Alternatively, the Pentax 15-30 WR is available now, and not shabby on the optical side.
01-09-2019, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #379
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
For about £1000 less you can get the Irix 15mm in F (or K) mount and over a stop more light capture at similar weight to the Z 14-30. Most of the other wide zooms you quote are APSC lenses. Alternatively, the Pentax 15-30 WR is available now, and not shabby on the optical side.
He is looking for a camera not yet developed and a lens to match it not yet on the market........

That will never change, because the next generation of gear will be the one he is seeking for!

01-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #380
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The flange distance will be the same of course, but even within Pentax's history, they have made K-mount DSLRs that are significantly smaller and lighter then the the K-70, such as the Km, Kx and Kr. The Nikon D3500 is an F-mount camera that weighs less than 400g. It can be done, and removing the heavy prism with a lighter EVF, eliminating the need for an AF sensor, metering sensor and mirror mechanism could be a way to achieve this.

I simply can't agree with Kunzite that EOS M buyers are buying a sub-standard product just because of the brand name. The brand and advertising will get the product noticed, but people aren't so stupid that they will buy something they don't want. EOS M is the right size and right design for people who a meaningful step up from a smartphone, but not something that is too big or complicated to use. I have to admit that I have been quite tempted by an EOS M body, the kit zooms and the 22mm lens as a travel kit.

Don't worry, though! Anyone who doesn't like the my idea for Pentax can sleep safe in the knowledge that this cheap, mirrorless abomination is only a figment of my imagination.
This is true. A K-mount camera can definitely be made lighter and smaller, perhaps by losing the mirror/AF system. This we know because the MX, Program Plus, P30T and so on were tiny compared to most of the Pentax DSLRs. So Pentax can definitely make a smaller camera if they want to.

Now the question is, do i/we want that camera? If it's done right and the technology is there to make the transition seemless, than I would love a Program plus sized camera. However, it it's not there than I am not ready to take a step backwards.

01-09-2019, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #381
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
No really... take any review site. Any. They all rank DA primes higher than DA LTDs.
And what would be bad with da 23mm f2?

---------- Post added 01-09-19 at 07:29 PM ----------

New lens ofc
Really review sites are meaningless. I own DA LTD's. I don't need review sites to determine my real world experience.

You want a +a da 23mm ƒ2 plasticky lens they will never make which is bad enough. If they make such a wide angle ƒ2 lens it will never fit into your cheap standards.

What Ricoh/Pentax needs to do is consolidate some of the DA LTD's into DFA LTD's. Like the DA21 LTD which should be optimized for FF. If they modernized the FA LTD's they could phase out the DA40 and DA70. One lens they should have made a long time ago is a DA28 ƒ2 LTD most especially for APS-C as 28mm is the same philosophy behind the use of 43mm focal length for 35mm film. At this point it should be FF. Please no autofocus motors. Keep these lenses as electronically and mechanically simple as possible.
01-09-2019, 12:31 PM - 2 Likes   #382
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
This is true. A K-mount camera can definitely be made lighter and smaller, perhaps by losing the mirror/AF system. This we know because the MX, Program Plus, P30T and so on were tiny compared to most of the Pentax DSLRs. So Pentax can definitely make a smaller camera if they want to.
Looking at the film cameras is a false start, I'm afraid.
That's because a digital camera - be it DSLR or MILC - has much behind the sensor (which is itself quite thick compared to film): the SR platform, mainboard, a LCD which should be articulated. Then there are 2-3 electric motors - AF, mirror/shutter, aperture. And a large battery.

You should take a look at the KP instead. They might be able to reduce the size just a tiny bit.

01-09-2019, 12:37 PM - 3 Likes   #383
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please no autofocus motors. Keep these lenses as electronically and mechanically simple as possible.
The EF system has worked fine for Canon for over thirty years now, including over twenty years in my very own camera bag. There is no reason a similar system would fail for Pentax. My Q-mount lenses have worked fine for four years. My 18-135 has worked fine for 3-1/2 years now. The 55-300 PLM lens is both faster and quieter than its screw-drive predecessor. Pentax cannot have a 21st century system without in-lens AF motors.
01-09-2019, 12:45 PM - 3 Likes   #384
Pentaxian

"No autofocus motors" means driving customers away, because the screw drive is both noisy and imprecise.
One of the reasons Pentax has so little market share is the "no autofocus motors" in too many of their lenses.
01-09-2019, 12:50 PM - 2 Likes   #385
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

One lens they should have made a long time ago is a DA28 ƒ2 LTD most especially for APS-C as 28mm is the same philosophy behind the use of 43mm focal length for 35mm film.
Isn't that already well-covered by the FA31 f/1.8 Limited? I realise the field of view is very slightly tighter - but really only slightly. And it's already more than fast enough, with an outstanding optical reputation to boot...
01-09-2019, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #386
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"No autofocus motors" means driving customers away, because the screw drive is both noisy and imprecise.
One of the reasons Pentax has so little market share is the "no autofocus motors" in too many of their lenses.
There isn't anything more silent and precise than Quickshift focusing. If people are leaving because of autofocus lens motors than they are not really interested in photography. Good photography has nothing to do with autofocus motors. What the design of the FA and DA LTD bring is high quality at a reasonable price. Increased price through over design will drive away customers.
01-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #387
Banned

A DA 28mm/f2.8 would fit into that spot. A small lens and not to fast in a metal case. Not a fast and expensive lens.
01-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #388
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There isn't anything more silent and precise than Quickshift focusing. If people are leaving because of autofocus lens motors than they are not really interested in photography. Good photography has nothing to do with autofocus motors. What the design of the FA and DA LTD bring is high quality at a reasonable price. Increased price through over design will drive away customers.
Trying to sell a MF lens for anything other than landscape photography is so 1980's. I am quite convinced that their initial response to AF was Pentax's first step from prominence to the market position they are in today. People expect in-lens motors in a modern system.

Last edited by reh321; 01-09-2019 at 01:23 PM.
01-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #389
Veteran Member

Really review sites are meaningless. I own DA LTD's. I don't need review sites to determine my real world experience.
Kudos to your anecdotal experiences...

What Ricoh/Pentax needs to do is consolidate some of the DA LTD's into DFA LTD's. Like the DA21 LTD which should be optimized for FF. If they modernized the FA LTD's they could phase out the DA40 and DA70. One lens they should have made a long time ago is a DA28 ƒ2 LTD most especially for APS-C as 28mm is the same philosophy behind the use of 43mm focal length for 35mm film. At this point it should be FF. Please no autofocus motors. Keep these lenses as electronically and mechanically simple as possible.
Nah - maybe you need those, but lot of us dont want to touch any FF stuff. Just plain old old crop only cause why carry extra weight?
01-09-2019, 01:35 PM - 2 Likes   #390
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Isn't that already well-covered by the FA31 f/1.8 Limited? I realise the field of view is very slightly tighter - but really only slightly. And it's already more than fast enough, with an outstanding optical reputation to boot...
In the digital age they could phase out the FA31. 28mm makes better sense for the reasons mentioned. 28mm fits better for both FF and APS-C.

I have an A-Series 28mm ƒ2 that was my most used lens on APS-C. It has stayed in my bag moving to the K-1. It replaced the M-20 ƒ4 I was using for APS-C. The secondary advantage a similar DFA 28mm ƒ2 design should bring over a DFA31 is size.

---------- Post added 01-09-19 at 03:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Kudos to your anecdotal experiences...

Nah - maybe you need those, but lot of us dont want to touch any FF stuff. Just plain old old crop only cause why carry extra weight?
I can assure you Trickortreat my experience is not anecdotal. Now you are just either being rude or ignorant.
Closed Thread