Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #571
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
BCN Awards for the year of 2018: Canon #1 in DSLR and Mirrorless for Japan | Canon News

After 6.7% in 2015, 4.8% in 2016 and 4.2% in 2017 Ricoh Imaging had 3.1% of the Japanese DSLR market in 2018 (as measured by BCN).

The Japanese DSLR market is itself declining rapidly: according to CIPA figures covering the first 11 months of the year shipments to Japan went down 28.4%.
Seeing this movement in their home market could be why Pentax has been rethinking their product line in the past year.

01-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #572
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Seeing this movement in their home market could be why Pentax has been rethinking their product line in the past year.
I hope they don't think about it too long. Because at this rate they will have 0% market share of a shrinking DSLR market by 2021.
01-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #573
Veteran Member

Wrong. No 0% market share, they will have 100% DSLR market as the only manufacturer
01-15-2019, 12:11 PM   #574
Pentaxian

Don't tell me. By 2021, all DSLR users which are actually being held hostages in the DSLR world against their own volition would finally beak free and buy their precious MILCs

01-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #575
Banned

Photos: Gallery
BCN Awards for the year of 2018: Canon #1 in DSLR and Mirrorless for Japan | Canon News

After 6.7% in 2015, 4.8% in 2016 and 4.2% in 2017 Ricoh Imaging had 3.1% of the Japanese DSLR market in 2018 (as measured by BCN).

The Japanese DSLR market is itself declining rapidly: according to CIPA figures covering the first 11 months of the year shipments to Japan went down 28.4%.
That is a very strong decline. The last quarter shipments (december is not yet published) is very weak with dslr cut in half compared to last year. This looks like Pentax sold less then 14,5k units to Japan in 2018. That is half as much as in 2017.

Pentax is getting pretty small this way.......
01-15-2019, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #576
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is a very strong decline. The last quarter shipments (december is not yet published) is very weak with dslr cut in half compared to last year. This looks like Pentax sold less then 14,5k units to Japan in 2018. That is half as much as in 2017.

Pentax is getting pretty small this way.......
I'm only guessing, here, but I think the main reason for that - aside from a slump in DSLR sales generally - is that the KP was released two full years ago, the K-1II is a relatively minor update of an existing model, the K-3II is discontinued and folks are waiting for the replacement. If Ricoh releases at least one fully new model this year - ideally including the K-3II replacement - the sales numbers should improve. Perhaps not to 2016/2017 levels, but an improvement nonetheless...
01-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #577
Pentaxian

BCN Awards for the year of 2018: Canon #1 in DSLR and Mirrorless for Japan | Canon NewsAfter 6.7% in 2015, 4.8% in 2016 and 4.2% in 2017 Ricoh Imaging had 3.1% of the Japanese DSLR market in 2018 (as measured by BCN).The Japanese DSLR market is itself declining rapidly: according to CIPA figures covering the first 11 months of the year shipments to Japan went down 28.4%.
That's evidence that camera buyers have something to do with conditioned behavior: Pavlov ring the bell and the dog salivate; DPReview says mirrorless is fantastic and people sell off their DSLR and buy a mirrorless system.

---------- Post added 15-01-19 at 21:26 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
I hope they don't think about it too long. Because at this rate they will have 0% market share of a shrinking DSLR market by 2021.
Warning: who misses the train of mirrorless won't be able to take photos after 2019, all DSLR will self destroy on December 31st.

---------- Post added 15-01-19 at 21:27 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Wrong. No 0% market share, they will have 100% DSLR market as the only manufacturer
They have at least 100% share of the K mount market. But they have 0% of the camera market because of the noise reduction added to the Pentax K1 II, Pentax lost all customers at once.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-15-2019 at 01:37 PM.
01-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #578
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm only guessing, here, but I think the main reason for that - aside from a slump in DSLR sales generally - is that the KP was released two full years ago, the K-1II is a relatively minor update of an existing model, the K-3II is discontinued and folks are waiting for the replacement. If Ricoh releases at least one fully new model this year - ideally including the K-3II replacement - the sales numbers should improve. Perhaps not to 2016/2017 levels, but an improvement nonetheless...
On february 7th Ricoh will publish their new quarter financial report. Maybe something is in there to read. You never know. At this sales rate not much new is coming to market, since there are not enough customers waiting.
01-15-2019, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #579
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
On february 7th Ricoh will publish their new quarter financial report. Maybe something is in there to read. You never know. At this sales rate not much new is coming to market, since there are not enough customers waiting.
It'll be an interesting read, although without the essential context to help us understand (rather than speculate as to) root cause.

I could be wrong, but I actually think there's a good number of customers waiting... especially for the K-3II replacement, perhaps a 645Z replacement, and to a lesser but still significant extent, a K-1 / K-1II replacement (though I think that might take a while longer, as there's life in the K-1II yet). These are all systems into which folks have invested a lot of money on glass, and many have posted wondering when the latest bodies are due.

So, I'll reserve judgement for now. I'll be waiting to see what products are announced for delivery this year and next, and to see the reactions from the market...
01-15-2019, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #580
Pentaxian

Seriously, DSLR customers are in panic when they see other buy a mirrorless system. They visualize themself being pointed at: "You still have a DSLR? Don't you know that DSLR is obsolete?" That's scary, if you are sensitive to what others photographers think of you.
01-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #581
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is like that, mirrorless is coolest thing right now. Kings new clothes. Guys that want to be cool goes for that. Even if it is not up the standard yet(Canon being nro. 1, for example) They have put A LOT of money for people to move to mirrorless. Marketing.

Pentax/Ricoh is trying to finish up and make all they can to make strong FF line, to compete. But what will happen when this smoke of mirrorless this and mirrorless that thing will settle, perhaps Ricoh also chiming in with theirs. That great lens lineup needs to be finished still. I suppose that bosses are looking at the same figures too, but still are keeping the same speed. even making it more presice. It will be interesting to see how this will go.
01-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #582
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
or perhaps they will be underwhelming again. the dslr is over... it is only a matter of time. canon is revamping their aps-c dslr line - down to one camera.
01-15-2019, 01:58 PM   #583
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Seriously, DSLR customers are in panic when they see other buy a mirrorless system. They visualize themself being pointed at: "You still have a DSLR? Don't you know that DSLR is obsolete?" That's scary, if you are sensitive to what others photographers think of you.
I couldn't agree more. Those who mock DSLRs aren't the folks anyone should be listening to. They should be treated with the same contempt as brand snobs who mock other peoples' brand choices. The DSLR / MILC debate has been discussed to death here and everywhere else on the internet, and the only conclusion anyone should reasonably draw (if they can summon independent thought rather than listening to a mass of trend-followers) is that their use case(s) and personal preference(s) will dictate which is best for them, and them alone...
01-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #584
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by punkrachmaninov Quote
or perhaps they will be underwhelming again.
Perhaps they will. I'm a "glass half full" chap who hopes for the best, albeit with realistic expectations, then deals with any disappointment when it actually happens

QuoteOriginally posted by punkrachmaninov Quote
the dslr is over... it is only a matter of time.
You may be correct... time will tell. If you are, I think that's a great shame, as - per my comments in my post above - both DSLRs and MILCs have their ideal use cases, and both have significant limitations in others... not to mention user preferences for each. I'm lucky in that I like both - but for very different use cases. A major reason for my mix of equipment...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-15-2019 at 03:51 PM.
01-15-2019, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #585
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What a silly thing to say.
We cannot escape the MILC propaganda even here, on Pentaxforums. This isn't about us being sensitive, it's about those MILC fanboys being utterly and insistently annoying.

(The use of word "fanboys" is intentional, and it should be taken as excluding the MILC users which aren't.)
Closed Thread