Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2019, 07:18 AM - 6 Likes   #691
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Small, light, weather sealed, versatile, in camera stabilization, backward compatible - those are the hallmarks of Pentax for me.

It's funny to me that people want Pentax to ape Sony or Canon. Years ago when I was at a NASA Launch and it started to rain heavily there were 3 photographers that didn't scramble for the buildings. Two of them were pros with $10k of equipment that was weather sealed. Oh, and then there was me with my K-5. They were both flabbergasted that my <$1K camera was safe. Pentax baby!

01-17-2019, 07:20 AM - 5 Likes   #692
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by punkrachmaninov Quote
good grief. yes. the nikon end-users are right! back to the SD card!! quickly, while we still have our sd cards!?!

the good people at sony are abandoning the pxw-fs7 ii also... the whole sony professional line is dead because they messed up and used those pesky to understand, perceived to be proprietary until 2017 xqd cards... they are going to have to try to find the drawing board, as unfortunately the only memory they had of it was lost in an xqd crash. the whole venice line is toast too. all poorly designed trash.

it us unfathomable that nikon banked the future of the extremely proud corporation on the cursed, listless xqd format. they must all be drunk on spec sheets, someone is going to light the camera on fire!
No need in being condescending, it took me less than a minute to find flaws in your argument. You get reinstated and start evangelizing again, some people just can't learn a lesson.

boriscletoed

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-17-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Keeping it friendly
01-17-2019, 07:31 AM   #693
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks - let's keep this friendly. No need for sarcasm, no need for personal comments. We can challenge each others' opinions without losing our community spirit, right? Thank you
01-17-2019, 07:42 AM - 2 Likes   #694
Pentaxian

Mike, but what do we do when someone's comments are consistently and insistently against this community's spirit?

01-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #695
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Mike, but what do we do when someone's comments are consistently and insistently against this community's spirit?
Rest assured, the moderating team will deal with any rule breaking and repeated disruption by any member towards the community, using the infraction system
01-17-2019, 07:52 AM - 3 Likes   #696
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Folks - let's keep this friendly. No need for sarcasm, no need for personal comments. We can challenge each others' opinions without losing our community spirit, right? Thank you
Sorry about that Mike, this guy is a total disruption with nothing useful to say ever. After he was banned the last time he proceeded to spew out a bunch of derogatory nonsense on other forum sites. I am ignoring him now............I feel a lot better.
01-17-2019, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #697
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Sorry about that Mike, this guy is a total disruption with nothing useful to say ever. After he was banned the last time he proceeded to spew out a bunch of derogatory nonsense on other forum sites. I am ignoring him now............I feel a lot better.
Thanks - but no apology needed... The comment was aimed at all in the thread, not specifically at you Just reminding everyone that we don't need disruption - just healthy, respectful conversation

01-17-2019, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #698
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Small, light, weather sealed, versatile, in camera stabilization, backward compatible - those are the hallmarks of Pentax for me.

It's funny to me that people want Pentax to ape Sony or Canon. Years ago when I was at a NASA Launch and it started to rain heavily there were 3 photographers that didn't scramble for the buildings. Two of them were pros with $10k of equipment that was weather sealed. Oh, and then there was me with my K-5. They were both flabbergasted that my <$1K camera was safe. Pentax baby!
You know what I would like to see from Pentax? A compact AW camera with a 1" or m4/3 sensor. It would be a perfect travel\hiking camera. It doesn't have to be an interchangeable lens camera if we could have serious weathersealing. Other than the Nikon 1 AW-1...which was a terrible camera, there is nothing smaller than a micro 4/3 body with large m4/3 lenses attached. I'm thinking something RX100 sized but weather sealed.
01-17-2019, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #699
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP & the Richo interview

Just bought a KP with a Battery Grip. It is a great big step up from a K5iiS and better than a K3 the resolution with the 24g sensor is a great improvement especially when the light is dull to dark. Great pic in low light high 3000 iso + Have a down side though. My remote cable trigger and wireless triggers from my K5 are not compatible to small. Can't find an adapter so have ordered a wired & wireless trigger. from a 3rd party. Quit your wining about a dual card slot and shorter battery life 400pic's per charge is fine double that with a battery grip. You can use the higher capacity cards no need for a second card slot. The value of this camera is exceptional for us excellent photographers both pro and advanced shooters. I have had Pentax gear since film days my K1stD then K7 then K5 have been great cameras and surpassed each other the KP is so far the best. Don't need FF as I would have to invest in some new lenses. as a hobbyist this body is excellent and works well with all the lenses I use and have about 7.+ All is good.
GordZ
01-17-2019, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #700
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GordZ Quote
Quit your wining about a dual card slot and shorter battery life 400pic's per charge is fine double that with a battery grip. You can use the higher capacity cards no need for a second card slot.
Nobody's whining... It's just that some photographers - myself included - prefer two card slots, not for capacity but redundancy. For a hobbyist like me, it's less critical, but even so it has value. I think it's one of those things that most people don't care about until they have an SD card fail and lose several images, or worse still, completely. So that's where the value of two cards comes in... writing simultaneously to both cards so you don't lose images if one fails.

Congratulations on your KP, by the way. It is indeed a fine camera

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-17-2019 at 10:54 AM.
01-17-2019, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #701
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
You know what I would like to see from Pentax? A compact AW camera with a 1" or m4/3 sensor. It would be a perfect travel\hiking camera. It doesn't have to be an interchangeable lens camera if we could have serious weathersealing. Other than the Nikon 1 AW-1...which was a terrible camera, there is nothing smaller than a micro 4/3 body with large m4/3 lenses attached. I'm thinking something RX100 sized but weather sealed.
I don't even need that. I'd be pretty happy with a couple weather sealing gaskests on DA21.

---------- Post added 01-17-19 at 12:55 PM ----------

Nobody's whining... It's just that some photographers - myself included - prefer two card slots, not for capacity but redundancy. For a hobbyist like me, it's less critical, but even so it has value. I think it's one of those things that most people don't care about until they have an SD card fail and lose several images, or worse still, completely. So that's where the value of two cards comes in... writing simultaneously to both cards so you don't lose images if one fails.

Congratulations on your KP, byt the way. It is indeed a fine camera
I've never had a failed SD card disaster, but just the thought of losing most of a vacation's worth of photos has me learning to program bash scripts in linux to turn a Raspberry Pi into an auto-backup device, on top of the two cards in my K-3ii. And on past big vacations I've always taken an external hard drive and backed everything up frequently.
01-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #702
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I've never had a failed SD card disaster, but just the thought of losing most of a vacation's worth of photos has me learning to program bash scripts in linux to turn a Raspberry Pi into an auto-backup device, on top of the two cards in my K-3ii. And on past big vacations I've always taken an external hard drive and backed everything up frequently.
I've had one situation where, after a day's shooting, several raw photos - a block of three or four (in sequence, if I remember coorectly) were corrupted on one card, but fine on the other. This was with my Hasselblad HV, not a Pentax camera. Obviously it wasn't an issue, as I was able to get images from the second card. I never was able to find a fault with the card in question... I reformatted it and ran read / write tests, but no errors were returned. So, it could have been an intermittent fault with the card... or it could even have been an intermittent hardware or firmware fault with the camera. I retired the card, and it's never happened since.

Come to think of it, I seem to recall having a total card failure in a compact camera some years back. Long time ago, though... maybe ten years?

I own some cameras with only a single card slot, and I'm more than happy to shoot with them given that this really is just a hobby for me. If I lose some photos, I'd be disappointed - but that's all. If I was a professional photographer, I'd absolutely insist on two card slots. As it is, if I have the choice between one or two slots, I'll take two every time, just for peace of mind.
01-17-2019, 11:29 AM - 2 Likes   #703
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The KP is clearly an outstanding camera. But, the things that would make it a flagship - the things that are missing for it to be considered as such - are:

- increased shutter life
- higher maximum shutter speed
- twin SD slots
- bigger buffer (more important where sports, kids, birds in flight are concerned)
- IR remote control
- arguably, a top LCD (many of us still use and value this - I miss having it on my A7 MkII)
- better battery life from the internal battery

Personally, I also prefer a bigger, chunkier body - but this really is just personal preference, and in part due to the fact that I have big hands, with fingers that sometimes struggle just a little with arthritis

I definitely think the KP punches above its weight in most areas - and even has features which could be considered special on a flagship model. None of the items above are deal-breakers for most of us, but I do think without them the KP sits in the mid range bracket, albeit at the upper end
Big Mack Mike: 4 out of the 5 items you indicate are needed by the KP to be a full flagship are covered in my reply that you quoted in part.

I take hombrage over the need for an top shelf LCD--here's my reasoning for the KP: mirrorless cameras are making tremendous inroads into DSLR sales (what's left of them anyway) and the KP is designed to provide DSLR amenities in a smaller package. It succeeds in that endeavor. The other reason an LCD may be somewhat dated now is the viewfinder of the KP provides extensive information in a bright gray LCD line below the view. With the programmable buttons and the ergonomics of their respective locations, I honestly don't need the top LCD. Furthermore, I don't use the 'live view' feature often either, so my battery lasts 400+ shots....to me that's the equivalent of 12 rolls of 36exp film!!

Different mindsets can disagree on what constitutes professional gear, but, the KP as a compliment to my K-1ii or as a stand alone, is well up to any task I used my K-3 or K-3ii for & certainly has the bones to become the new "K-3iiS" if needed. What I rarely hear from K-3/ii afficiandos (read snobs) is that the KP has a better sensor, faster AF and an improved better IQ (ISO to 25,000 with decent images was unheard of 4 years ago at the K-3's release). Horses for courses....
01-17-2019, 12:04 PM - 2 Likes   #704
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I take hombrage over the need for an top shelf LCD--here's my reasoning for the KP: mirrorless cameras are making tremendous inroads into DSLR sales (what's left of them anyway) and the KP is designed to provide DSLR amenities in a smaller package. It succeeds in that endeavor. The other reason an LCD may be somewhat dated now is the viewfinder of the KP provides extensive information in a bright gray LCD line below the view. With the programmable buttons and the ergonomics of their respective locations, I honestly don't need the top LCD.
Understood. This is merely a difference in our personal preferences, and why I suggested the need for it was arguable. I use the top LCD on all of my cameras that have it, seeing the settings often before the camera comes up to my eye. It's especially useful to me on the occasions when I'm shooting from my tripod. But I realise it's not needed or liked by everyone. Conversely, when I shoot my A7 MkII, despite the extensive and configurable information overlays in the EVF, I miss not having a top LCD.

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Different mindsets can disagree on what constitutes professional gear, but, the KP as a compliment to my K-1ii or as a stand alone, is well up to any task I used my K-3 or K-3ii for & certainly has the bones to become the new "K-3iiS" if needed. What I rarely hear from K-3/ii afficiandos (read snobs) is that the KP has a better sensor, faster AF and an improved better IQ (ISO to 25,000 with decent images was unheard of 4 years ago at the K-3's release). Horses for courses....
Well, I can't call myself a K-3 or K-3II "afficionado" per se (I'm certainly no K-3 / K-3II "snob" - they're all just cameras to me), but I do shoot with them and like them a lot. I've reviewed images taken with the KP, and there's no doubt as to the advantage it has in terms of image quality. It's considerably better, especially at higher ISOs - which is compelling for me given my shooting habits. So if Ricoh was to release a K-3II replacement that retains the features you and I largely agreed on for a flagship, but with the KP (or better) sensor, I'll more than likely buy one... if not in the first year of release, then almost certainly at some point soon after. And if they throw in a top LCD too, I'll be grinning from ear to ear

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-17-2019 at 12:50 PM.
01-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #705
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
In the age of film, during vacations my family was used to periodic searches for a post office so I could send completed Kodachrome rolls to Kodak; that procedure worked OK for me, although the U.S. Mail did lose a roll once.

Some years ago I decided that I would need a laptop computer, which would allow me to make nightly copies of digital media, before I would ever go digital, and I did exactly that. Incidentally, my Canon Rebel XT did trash a CF card once .... this was one of the incidents that should have warned me that the camera's processor was on its way to failure, one of the incidents that resulted in my coming back to Pentax.
Closed Thread