Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2019, 09:10 AM - 2 Likes   #736
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
(...) Asahiman indicated that there might be a new full frame camera this year as well (...)
Actually asahi man wasn't as specific as that.

Source: K-mount adapters for Pentax new-mount cameras: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

01-18-2019, 09:11 AM - 4 Likes   #737
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Thanks. We now have 11 months to look forward to and discuss in the meantime.
Who's this "we?" Are you really waiting for a new Pentax camera?

Last edited by Rondec; 01-18-2019 at 10:01 AM.
01-18-2019, 09:13 AM - 2 Likes   #738
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Most Pentaxians want DSLRs and both the recent CIPA stats and Amazon best-seller lists show that most camera buyers still want DSLRs.
Isn't that likely biased by at least two things:

1) Pentax doesn't currently make any mirrorless cameras

2) MILC cameras are mostly more expensive, certainly much more expensive than entry-level DSLRs. Canon and Nikon didn't just introduce $500 MILCs, they introducted $2500 MILCs. By itself that will dramatically skew buying habits.
01-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #739
Veteran Member

I feel like I am the only one that is looking more for new APS-C lenses than new body (only a bit "more"

01-18-2019, 09:21 AM - 2 Likes   #740
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I remember that very well. Before the switch I'd go into J.C. Penny to buy a shirt. It would be tagged at $89.99, but on random days, with coupons, or JC Penny discount cards or store credit cards or whatever it would be $29.99. The pricing was inscrutable. It was a silly game to try to get a shirt for a reasonable price. Their revolutionary idea was to just put $29.99 on the shirt all the time. I though it was absolutely brillant!

However their customer base, apparently conditioned to treat clothes shopping as some kind of complicated Pokemon game, rebelled and the company almost went bankrupt. They went back to inscrutable pricing so people can tell their friends that they "saved" $500 on clothes by following all the absurd schemes. And I stopped going to JC Penny forever.

Let's hope Pentax behaves nothing like J.C. Penny.
If it were brilliant JCP would still be roaring along. Actually JCP customers got conditioned to discounted prices and when the so called "fair" price was introduced without periodic discounts people looked else where and JCP shoppers never came back. BTW, I'm 72 yo and have never seen a shirt at $89.99 at JCP, the "normal pricing was usually around $40.00 or slightly higher with periodic discounts down to less than $20.00. American shoppers are conditioned to seek bargains and it will take several generations for this to change if ever. What company can weather that storm?

Every item for sale has a perceived value whether the perceived value us right or wrong is dependent on many factors. For instance the KP was introduced at a higher price and sold slowly once the perceived value was reached it started selling much better. Pentax needs to keep their upper middle range perceived value and they will keep selling to those Pentax users who buy Cameras and lens
01-18-2019, 09:58 AM - 3 Likes   #741
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by punkrachmaninov Quote
wholeheartedly agree with you on the jc penney case study. there is room in pentax's future for a maximum of 2 aps-c DSLRs, the K-1 full frame, the imminent 645 (2019), the adorable pentax q (40 megapixel & better be out before xmas), AND the full frame mirrorless camera of everyone's dreams (or in here apparently, everyone's nightmares)... they can't release too many options, it would be ill-advised.

not sure about this continuum of bigger cameras though, especially if they don't shoot video. that newly announced olympus is the funniest thing i have seen in quite some time, i am looking forward to the Olympus q4 report... the pentax k1 is the heaviest camera in it's class... that weight is not something everyone wants to carry.

perhaps this is not worth mentioning (like so many of my other totally useless comments), but i suspect that if i could actually manage to physically hold a KP in my hands whilst in a store, i probably have not been able to restrain myself... in all likelihood i would prefer the ergonomics to the K-1 i rented for the week... it was just too damn heavy. not trying to insult anyone, but i am certainly not trying to prove anything either...

here is hoping you all can find it in yourselves to accept the forthcoming top-secret pentax k1000 mirrorless camera into your hearts... you know it is on the way after those numbers!! mwahahaha!
If you have 70 year old Osteoarthritic thumbs, the KP is a dream. I picked one up during the Black Friday promotion, shoot manual and primarily use F and A series primes, two Ltds. and a F24-50 as the default. After only a week of use of an unknown quantity, moving from K-5 and K-3 the transition has been surprisingly smooth.

Last edited by lukulele; 01-18-2019 at 06:41 PM.
01-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #742
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
If you have 70 year old Osteoarthritic thumbs, the KP is a dream. I picked one up during the Black Friday promotion, shoot manual and primarily use F and A series primes, two Ltds. and a F24-50 as the default. After only a week of use of an unknown quantity, moving from K-5 and K-3 the transition has been surprising smooth.
thanks for your take on the kp.

have heard it isn't as solid feeling in the hands as the k5 or k3, so i guess that is my last real concern. that and I was wondering if you think the kp can be used with none of the 3 included grips at all...? really hoping to get that film era box shape and lighter weight.

01-18-2019, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #743
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by punkrachmaninov Quote
thanks for your take on the kp.

have heard it isn't as solid feeling in the hands as the k5 or k3, so i guess that is my last real concern. that and I was wondering if you think the kp can be used with none of the 3 included grips at all...? really hoping to get that film era box shape and lighter weight.
I do not know who told you that but i do not agree. The KP fells exactly as solid as the K3, but is a bit softer on the hands. It may not look so, but once you pick it up, you know it is.

Also the small grip wheights exactly 17.5 grams, and that to me looks liks and feels like nothing.
01-18-2019, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #744
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Who's this "we?" Are you really waiting for a new Pentax camera?
You granted us all the gift of time!
01-18-2019, 11:25 AM - 4 Likes   #745
Pentaxian

You granted us all the gift of time!
My SLR never reach more than 10 000 shutter actuation per year. Honestly, I'm wondering why people cry so much when there is no new camera model for one year. In order to have a camera model successful, at least two conditions are needed: the new model has enough advantages over the previous model to be a compelling product, and the average customer need to have collected the money to afford the purchase . Releasing mode camera models more often for the sake of it , just isn't economically viable. Also, not all business / division work with quarterly financial ratios, in some businesses, they work with life time value: life time value means the mother company is large enough to hedge variation of its groups, and the group works in such way that the net present value of each project is positive even if cash flow alternate between negative and position across multiple years. For instance, railway construction companies may have heavy negative cash flow for the duration of the construction of the new railway line, followed by a huge bump of positive cash flow, with an overall positive EBIT. Not every business is selling water, newspapers and other kind of commodities.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-18-2019 at 11:32 AM.
01-18-2019, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #746
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
My SLR never reach more than 10 000 shutter actuation per year. Honestly, I'm wondering why people cry so much when there is no new camera model for one year. In order to have a camera model successful, at least two conditions are needed: the new model has enough advantages over the previous model to be a compelling product, and customer need to have collected the budget to afford the purchase. Releasing mode camera models more often for the sake of it , just isn't economically viable.
That will be the future that even all camera makers will have to adopt and change their production to this future. Sales of these expensive camera's (dslr and mirrorless) will continue to go down in unit sales. People only need a new camera every 6 years or so.
01-18-2019, 11:31 AM - 3 Likes   #747
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
I feel like I am the only one that is looking more for new APS-C lenses than new body (only a bit "more"
The APS-c lens field is crowded with great glass not only form Pentax, but also from SIGMA, Tamron, Irex, Sanyoung, etc. We have primes that are fast (25, 40, 70 Ltds) as well as great telephotos, starting with the kit WR lenses up to the 300mm teles. If I read into what ASAHIman is saying, I think RICOH wants to go big or go home n 2019 with their Full Frame lineup--that means new lenses for the K-1 series cameras and possibly another variation on the FF model.

Having recently bought a KP, I am so pleased with it, I don't miss my K-3/K-3ii's. I think Pentax can easily soldier on for 2019 with a new GRIII, upgrades/lenses to the FF series, and bring us a new APS-c next year. Between the KP and the K-70 (which is hardly a entry camera given its features and quality) that would be enough.

One final thought: the K-3/K-3ii is built for 200,000+ shots....maybe it was built that well so that it would keep snapping excellent shots until RICOH was ready to replace. I just don't understand many Forum members almost insatiable desire for RICOH to keep retooling their production lines with barely a 5% global audience. Maybe every 2 years for a new series (KP is 2017) is adequate for the moment. Pick a KP up for about $800 then compare it to any offerings by the CanNikOny oligarchy and then tell me if you feel Pentax isn't giving you what you want or need.
01-18-2019, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #748
Pentaxian

That will be the future that even all camera makers will have to adopt and change their production to this future. Sales of these expensive camera's (dslr and mirrorless) will continue to go down in unit sales. People only need a new camera every 6 years or so.
The change of lens mount of MILC/2018 makes me understand how the ILC business works. So, if I understand correctly, camera makers develop a new lens mount. For this new lens mount they build up a portfolio of new lenses, customers buy the lenses when they have some pocket money, once the customers own a few lenses of the new mount the proprietary lens mount prevents most customers to change buy an equivalent system of another brand. Once there are enough lenses of proprietary mount, the market share is almost frozen (or can only change very slowly). Once the proprietary lens mount is established, camera companies make less new lenses and they upgrade camera bodies, camera bodies generate new cash. Customers already having the lenses keep upgrading their camera once in a while. So, that means, 2018 was likely an exceptional year, if the model I describe is right, in 2019 / 2020, we will see more new lenses and less new camera bodies. Since Ricoh don't use a new lens mount, they just have to release new bodies not necessarily as fast at the pace we have seen for MILC in 2018.
01-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #749
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
The APS-c lens field is crowded with great glass not only form Pentax, but also from SIGMA, Tamron, Irex, Sanyoung, etc. We have primes that are fast (25, 40, 70 Ltds) as well as great telephotos, starting with the kit WR lenses up to the 300mm teles. If I read into what ASAHIman is saying, I think RICOH wants to go big or go home n 2019 with their Full Frame lineup--that means new lenses for the K-1 series cameras and possibly another variation on the FF model.

Having recently bought a KP, I am so pleased with it, I don't miss my K-3/K-3ii's. I think Pentax can easily soldier on for 2019 with a new GRIII, upgrades/lenses to the FF series, and bring us a new APS-c next year. Between the KP and the K-70 (which is hardly a entry camera given its features and quality) that would be enough.

One final thought: the K-3/K-3ii is built for 200,000+ shots....maybe it was built that well so that it would keep snapping excellent shots until RICOH was ready to replace. I just don't understand many Forum members almost insatiable desire for RICOH to keep retooling their production lines with barely a 5% global audience. Maybe every 2 years for a new series (KP is 2017) is adequate for the moment. Pick a KP up for about $800 then compare it to any offerings by the CanNikOny oligarchy and then tell me if you feel Pentax isn't giving you what you want or need.
Just thinking loud of new implementation of 16-50 DA*, AW with fast silent AF and sharp from 2.8. Once asahi man wrote that we can expect new versions of DA* lenses. Would be nice to see them together with DA* 11-18/2.8 on single presentation
01-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #750
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
Just thinking loud of new implementation of 16-50 DA*, AW with fast silent AF and sharp from 2.8. Once asahi man wrote that we can expect new versions of DA* lenses. Would be nice to see them together with DA* 11-18/2.8 on single presentation
Yes, that would be great, but doesn't SIGMA have a 'Art" lens of similar speed/quality already ? Maybe other FOrum member scan help me refresh my memory (I'm at work posting this and don't have time to do a lens search).
Closed Thread