Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax President's Photo Competition - UK Competition

Details here - Pentax President's Photo Competition | SRS Microsystems

Excerpt from that page :-

"Do you want to win an exclusive Navy Pentax KP with an engraved hot-shoe cover?
How about having an HD PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited thrown is as well?
More?
Well, the President of Ricoh Imaging, Mr Takahashi, will also judge your work himself, and you’ll receive a personalised letter from him!"

Maybe worth looking out for similar competitions in other markets?

01-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sad that it only for UK shooters. Good luck, that Navy KP is pretty cool!
01-10-2019, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Yes, cool prize, notable judge (!!) -> nice contest! I wish there was a global version...

Last edited by Doundounba; 01-10-2019 at 12:08 PM.
01-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good luck to our Pentax Forums UK members!

01-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now THAT is a terrific promotion!

This is a great opportunity to showcase the excellent images that are possible with Pentax cameras. We've certainly seen plenty of good stuff from our UK members.

Wouldn't it be amusing if the winning entry was shot with a Takumar lens? Hehe.

I wonder if the KP has been commissioned especially for this and similar promotions. I suspect they've made a number of them.

On a related note, I've never dealt with SRS, but came close to making a quick run from London to Watford during a business trip. Just couldn't fit it in my schedule. I think SRS has a stellar reputation.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-10-2019 at 05:42 PM.
01-10-2019, 10:12 PM   #6

I wonder if this is part of the Asahi Optical Co. 100 year anniversary. Didn't someone from Ricoh say events or whatever would be regional?
01-10-2019, 10:28 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well done, our Brit friends, get snapping.

Here in Australia the prize may be a lens cap, presented by Paul Hogan. Yahoo Serious, if he's not available.

01-24-2019, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

All these exciting things are never in my neighbourhood.
People just aren't coming to terms with the global economy, global citizens, etc.
It always seems to be the canadians and Australians who are excluded. No wonder I like Australian T.V. shows, they live with the same stuff us Canadians do and think the same way on a lot of issues.

Now if it was a British firm, I could understand them leaving out the obviously inferior colonies, but how did that spread to the Japanese mindset?

I'm seriously hoping that the British distributor asked for this as a marketing ploy and that it isn't the harbinger of some "British first" policy. All of us former colonies have suffered enough of that already.
01-24-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm seriously hoping that the British distributor asked for this as a marketing ploy and that it isn't the harbinger of some "British first" policy. All of us former colonies have suffered enough of that already.
If there is any "British first" policy (and I seriously doubt that), I'd swap it in a heartbeat for the prices you folks get on the other side of the pond. Seems the former colonies have enjoyed better pricing for many years... In most cases, if something's priced at US$1,000, it'll typically cost us around GBP £1,000, which means it's considerably more expensive here in the UK.
01-24-2019, 09:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Wow that's a nifty prize! Good luck to those who can enter.

I will note it says "pentax camera" and not "digital camera" so I'm guessing you could use a film camera.
01-24-2019, 11:46 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If there is any "British first" policy (and I seriously doubt that), I'd swap it in a heartbeat for the prices you folks get on the other side of the pond. Seems the former colonies have enjoyed better pricing for many years... In most cases, if something's priced at US$1,000, it'll typically cost us around GBP £1,000, which means it's considerably more expensive here in the UK.
Being brought up, first 10 years in the U.S. I am always on the lookout for possible British Redcoat malfeasance. Later experience does not always affect previous indoctrination.
01-24-2019, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Now if it was a British firm, I could understand them leaving out the obviously inferior colonies, but how did that spread to the Japanese mindset?
I strongly suspect it was organised by SRS Microsystems, who have always given Pentax equal if not higher billing than others and usually the best prices - and hence they shift a lot of Pentax kit (proportionately to others).
01-25-2019, 07:20 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's some pretty good pictures being posted - good to see a lot of serious photographers using Pentax