Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2019, 04:59 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New product for Wireless Tethering for Pentax et al

Here is a press release with a link to the product page for a new wireless tethering system which supposedly includes Pentax cameras.

Guangdong, CHINA—DECEMBER 18, 2018—CamFi, maker of wireless camera controllers, announced the release of CamFi Pro Plus today. This new product adds the wireless tethering feature for 500+ cameras, including Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Pentax and more. All DSLR cameras which support USB tethering can be supported by CamFi Pro Plus.

“This is a big step for tethering technology,” said Mark Ma, the CEO of CamFi Limited. “It will improve the productivity for the professional photographers greatly, without any study cost.” With wireless tethering, there is need for a USB cable to connect the camera and computer. CamFi Pro Plus also allows photographers to keep using familiar tools, such as Capture One, Lightroom, EOS utility, Sony Pixel and so forth, directly via WiFi.

CamFi Pro Plus adds the third party tethering service. It can send USB data to the client device directly through a WiFi connection. When a camera is connected with CamFi Pro Plus, the laptop which connects to it will act as if the USB device plugged into it directly. In tests, the maximum Wi-Fi speed can achieve 10M Bytes/second. For a 20M raw photo, for example, this translates into need only about three seconds to transfer with Capture One.
The third party tethering service of CamFi Pro Plus supports Windows and Mac. The price of CamFi Pro Plus is $339. It can be ordered via CamFi web site. All the existing customers of CamFi Pro can order the upgrade service for $40.
For more information, visit CamFi Pro Plus - Professional wireless tethering solution for 500+ cameras

01-11-2019, 05:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Promising much higher speeds than the Pentax built-in WiFi. Nice.
Not so nice: K-1 support is not mentioned.
01-11-2019, 05:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks very interesting. Tethered support for Pentax DSLRs back to the Kx, but not the K-1. Nothing about file support, but I note that DNG is supported on other brands, so that will possibly be OK for Pentax, as well.
01-11-2019, 05:31 AM   #4

This looks to be identical to this Vello product that was just announced. Interestingly the Vello version does not have Pentax support.

Also the Pentax support list doesn't include several newer but very similar cameras to the older APS-C systems so I wonder if they just haven't tested it with the K-70 and KP, et al.

01-11-2019, 05:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
This looks to be identical to this Vello product that was just announced. Interestingly the Vello version does not have Pentax support.
No MacOS support, either, so perhaps both companies are using the same hardware, with different software solutions.
01-11-2019, 06:45 AM - 2 Likes   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
With wireless tethering, there is need for a USB cable to connect the camera and computer.
I take it it should read "there is no need for".

It will be interesting to see what, if any, Pentax cameras are actually supported.

Edit:

All the cameras in the background photo are film SLRs. Some are missing dials on the top plate. One or two may be sporting screwmount Takumars. I see a Pentax, probably in the Program Plus family, a Minolta X-370 & QTsi and a host of others.

I'll leave it to some other sharp-eyed PFer to brighten the picture and ID cameras and some of the lenses

Last edited by Not a Number; 01-11-2019 at 07:10 AM.
01-11-2019, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Nice device but US$339 is way too expensive.

01-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Nice device but US$339 is way too expensive.
Probably aimed at the working pro, for which this could be a business expense.
01-11-2019, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #9

You're paying for the software too, which as you can see with Image Transmitter 2 etc. isn't always cheap.

I wonder how successful they were with accessing the USB tethering functions on models past the K-5 that aren't supported by the Lightroom tethering plug-in. PK_tether and PKTriggercord weren't all the successful in supporting later models.

Last edited by Not a Number; 01-11-2019 at 02:28 PM.
01-14-2019, 08:26 AM   #10

I reached out to the company and the K-1 II is supported on Mac and PC.
01-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Probably aimed at the working pro, for which this could be a business expense.
Whether it's too expensive or not depends upon circumstances. If a photo business depends upon fast Wifi transfer to be successful, the cost of not having this could be more than the purchase price. In that case, it's a bargain.
01-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know couple of pros who use this type of software. The cost won't be out of line for them. They just buy what they need. There's pros and then there's successful pros.
01-15-2019, 03:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Binth Quote
I reached out to the company and the K-1 II is supported on Mac and PC.
I assume that’s the CamFi Pro maker mentioned by the OP, and not the Vello maker referred to subsequently.
01-15-2019, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #14

Correct - CamFi Pro confirmed and it looks like they updated the website as well.
01-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

I'll leave it to some other sharp-eyed PFer to brighten the picture and ID cameras
There's a PZ-10 (z-10) in the back, but don't forget the rather prominent little ME right up front.
Closed Thread