Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2019, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #346
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
... I don't know what that means exactly, but my guess is that he already knows "hey what's going on with K-3II successor" type question doesn't do anything useful however hard he pushes, and he will craft his questions differently.
Twitter
Maybe someone should ask if Ricoh is happy with the evolution of the Fujitsu Milbeaut line of processors currently in use in Pentax DSLRs? Or if they plan to keep on using them as the main engine of their DLSRs? Or is that a taboo subject for an executive to discuss? My understanding - just from reading the forums! - is that Ricoh is already lagging behind in their use of the Milbeaut and that a much more powerful Milbeaut generation (than what is in the K-1ii or KP) has been available for quite a bit of time. But at least, if we knew that they were switching to a different supplier for the main CPU - or the sensor, or for both the main CPU and sensor - then the slowness in body development would seem a bit more logical...

02-28-2019, 12:31 PM   #347
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Maybe someone should ask if Ricoh is happy with the evolution of the Fujitsu Milbeaut line of processors currently in use in Pentax DSLRs? Or if they plan to keep on using them as the main engine of their DLSRs? Or is that a taboo subject for an executive to discuss? My understanding - just from reading the forums! - is that Ricoh is already lagging behind in their use of the Milbeaut and that a much more powerful Milbeaut generation (than what is in the K-1ii or KP) has been available for quite a bit of time. But at least, if we knew that they were switching to a different supplier for the main CPU - or the sensor, or for both the main CPU and sensor - then the slowness in body development would seem a bit more logical...
If @Asahiman is accurate, we may see several "FF" bodies before the K-3ii replacement is finished - he said they are focusing on "FF".
02-28-2019, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #348
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
and someone who wants a new APS body now can purchase a KP ..... or jump to another mount.

I don't consider GR to be an adequate substitute for an ILC.
It is not substitute of anything else than GR before GR iii. Dunno much about aps-c, One can buy lenses now and KP, or use what they have, and then get new aps-c when it is ready. I'm waiting actually news from FF apartment. Good thing is that I'm not in hurry, but that is just me.
02-28-2019, 01:04 PM   #349
Veteran Member

If @Asahiman is accurate, we may see several "FF" bodies before the K-3ii replacement is finished - he said they are focusing on "FF".
Do you have a reference for that? I'd like to read the source, if possible. (Please don't take that the wrong way, BTW. Just would like to read what he said exactly.)

In any case, you'll note that nothing in my suggestion of a question to Ricoh execs is APS-C specific. As far as I can tell, the K-1ii is a remarkable achievement based on a fairly old technological platform, both in terms of main (Fujitsu Milbeaut) processor and (Sony) sensor. I for one wouldn't have a problem if a major update of the base internals of Pentax DLSRs were deployed to FF first. Heck, even 645! But I'd like to know that they are working on such an update. And working hard.

Last edited by Doundounba; 02-28-2019 at 01:20 PM. Reason: verb tense
02-28-2019, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #350
Pentaxian

Do you have a reference for that? I'd like to read the source, if possible. (Please don't take that the wrong way, BTW. Just would like to read what he said exactly.)

In any case, you'll note that nothing in my suggestion of a question to Ricoh execs is APS-C specific. As far as I can tell, the K-1ii is a remarkable achievement based on a fairly old technological platform, both in terms of main (Fujitsu Milbeaut) processor and (Sony) sensor. I for one wouldn't have a problem if a major update of the base internals of Pentax DLSRs were deployed to FF first. Heck, even 645! But I'd like to know that they are working on such an update. And working hard.
Five months ago he said at DPR
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiman:
Currently nearly all the development power is going into K fullframe SLR.
Body and lens development,very interesting and in 2 classes.
But, SLR!!
02-28-2019, 01:45 PM   #351
Veteran Member

Five months ago he said at DPR
Thanks! And it's nice that that quote is from after the K-1ii was released. I also found this one, a bit more recent, and also from DPR:

QuoteQuote:
A nice fullframe line up is in sight, no sign for going out of business.
Next year is the big anniversary,don't forget this point.
I know,the most forum users here, will be surprised.

That's very encouraging, though it does leave us APS-C shooters who aren't quite happy with the KP in a bit of a quandary...
02-28-2019, 01:56 PM   #352
Pentaxian

That's very encouraging, though it does leave us APS-C shooters who aren't quite happy with the KP in a bit of a quandary...
In the early years of automobiles, the Ford plant ran out of parts to make any complete car, so people at the factory were able to take some "Model N" parts and some "Model R" parts, and made a car they called the "Model S". Engineering is much more complicated today, but it is unfortunate that, considering the time horizon we're looking at now, Pentax cannot put KP innards + extra buffer into a K-3 body.

02-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #353
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We're never going to see a K3ii replacement

02-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #354
Veteran Member

K3 replacement was always going to be dependant on when sony released a new BSI sensor. I think its finally appeared in the Fuji so Ricoh now have the parts needed to build the camera. The fact we have a DA 16-50 lens appear at the top of the roadmap, corresponding to new 16-50/2.8 patent, suggest that the K3 replacement may have finally moved to the front of the que. Expect it to be released at the same time as new DA* 16-50 and DA* 50-135.
02-28-2019, 02:54 PM - 2 Likes   #355
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
there are pictures on the japanese fb page... shows kp do-dads in several stages

02-28-2019, 03:29 PM   #356
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does this mean the top bit is detachable - and if so, what is it?
02-28-2019, 03:35 PM   #357
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
So much for weather sealing?
02-28-2019, 03:37 PM   #358
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
You can swap that top for one that says RICOH on it once they change the name.
02-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #359
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
So much for weather sealing?
Apparently the detachable piece goes on a weather sealed body, and nothing covered by it needs protection.
02-28-2019, 03:40 PM   #360
Veteran Member

It looks like maybe it's a "cover" that hangs off the hotshoe and doesn't actually replace the top prism, but just covers it?