Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 324 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2019, 03:43 PM   #361
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
It looks like maybe it's a "cover" that hangs off the hotshoe and doesn't actually replace the top prism, but just covers it?
To me that would be annoying and pointless - surely there must be something inside, maybe connecting to the hotshoe??

02-28-2019, 03:50 PM   #362
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
To me that would be annoying and pointless
I hear you! Here I was hoping for GPS. But if you look at the camera on the bottom of the pic, you can see a camera without the cover, with a matching cover beside it as well as a little metallic tab that looks like it would fit in the hotshoe. (And the back edge of that metallic tab can be seen on those KPs that do have the cover.) Sooo... Probably just a plastic cover - and one you need to remove to pop up the flash too (or use an external one), I'd reckon. It looks cool though.

Last edited by Doundounba; 02-28-2019 at 04:00 PM.
02-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #363
Pentaxian

It's a snap-on cover, nothing more.
02-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #364
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I am disappointed. I was hoping for a Pentax-branded version of these:

02-28-2019, 07:20 PM   #365
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I am disappointed. I was hoping for a Pentax-branded version of these:
pink ears???
02-28-2019, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #366
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
there are pictures on the japanese fb page... shows kp do-dads in several stages

The prototype photos you posted show a much thicker area behind the lens. We all know that IBIS requires much more space than a static sensor - but the existing KP already has IBIS. So, why the greatly increased sensor space???

Could it be to make room for a "curved image" sensor"?

As far as I know, Pentax was the first to come out with an APS-C camera with IBIS, pixel shift, GPS, and astro tracking (K3ii). Maybe they're planning another such revolutionary camera development (hence the secrecy)? Maybe the extra space is for something else than a curved sensor, maybe that something else is as impressive as the new K3ii features were?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-28-2019 at 07:57 PM.
02-28-2019, 07:39 PM   #367
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
pink ears???
White would do.

Better than the new KP customizations.

02-28-2019, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #368
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

The prototype photos you posted show a much thicker area behind the lens. We all know that IBIS requires much more space than a static sensor - but the existing KP already has IBIS. So, why the greatly increased sensor space???

Could it be to make room for a "curved image" sensor"?

As far as I know, Pentax was the first to come out with an APS-C camera with IBIS, pixel shift, GPS, and astro tracking (K3ii). Maybe they're planning another such revolutionary camera development (hence the secrecy)? Maybe the extra space is for something else than a curved sensor, maybe that something else is as impressive as the new K3ii features were?
I also think they have something up their sleeve. I just do not believe they would develop and release the DFA*70-200/2.8, DFA*50/1.4 and DA*11-18/2.8 and rest on the (D800) K-1 and KP. They keep talking about lenses developed for future sensor resolution. Does that sound like they’re not planning a super camera - or series of cameras?
02-28-2019, 08:28 PM - 2 Likes   #369
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I also think they have something up their sleeve. I just do not believe they would develop and release the DFA*70-200/2.8, DFA*50/1.4 and DA*11-18/2.8 and rest on the (D800) K-1 and KP.
They may release only lenses for a while, simply because if you remove sport photography and video, there is nothing that the current Pentax camera models fall short of. If I look at other new milc models, they have nothing more than my Pentax K1, and sometimes even less: EOS RP for example. There is nothing that a EOS R and EOS RP that a K1 can't do (except the EOS R having less resolution, less battery life, and less keepers in AF tracking and being more expensive),.
02-28-2019, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #370
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
They may release only lenses for a while, simply because if you remove sport photography and video, there is nothing that the current Pentax camera models fall short of. If I look at other new milc models, they have nothing more than my Pentax K1, and sometimes even less: EOS RP for example. There is nothing that a EOS R and EOS RP that a K1 can't do (except the EOS R having less resolution, less battery life, and less keepers in AF tracking and being more expensive),.
Yes, I understand that. I didn’t upgrade my K-1 becaue the KP with accelerator chip is so good. I still think there are cameras under development and they will be a leap forward, not a step. Maybe Samsung. Maybe curved sensor. Maybe a universal AF sensor for all three platforms and whoa baby AF. Maybe hybrid viewfinder - for all three. Maybe 100Mp 645. Maybe a real MILC (OK, maybe not). But there’s something that they’re being very tight-lipped about and it goes beyond not saying anything becaue they don’t have anything. That idea is just silly.
02-28-2019, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #371
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I still think there are cameras under development and they will be a leap forward,
Of course you are right. Engineers who design cameras are not engineers who design lenses. Camera designs, with an employment contract, don't work like 50 hours a day when Pentaxian want a new model and then do nothing when Pentaxian don't ask for a new model, it doesn't work this way. Here in this forum, people post comments as if there no camera release then the camera designer of Ricoh cross fingers and play cards all day long. So, in reality, as long as Ricoh doesn't stop the Pentax camera line, their engineers are constantly working on a new camera model: so if camera models are released more often , there will be less improvements between each model, and if there is no new model it mean the newer model will offer more significant improvements/features over the current model. But go figure how to explain that to whiners... who know if Ricoh are now working on a 100Mp 645 , or a AF montrer apsc or full frame?
03-01-2019, 12:23 AM   #372
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
So just something you leave off most of the time because it gets in the way of the flash and maybe even manually focusing the lens - and because it would probrbly get knocked off and lost or you'd have nowhere it put it when you took it off anyway? I thought they'd got over pointless gimmicks!
03-01-2019, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #373
Pentaxian

I think that next camera's what are coming has been on delayed, just because of it need to be future proof. Somethign that K-1 is and K-3II and K-5. i think that something t´like we see in GRIII is going to happen in next flagships. Perhaps it was not going to happen, but market got steeper and they just still have to work with AF and SR more. They opened that jar of worms with KP and K-1II, saying that we have to start over, allthe way from algorithms. I quess that if they would not do that, it would be pointless to bring higher MP, FPS ect machine out.

edit: and who knows how deep they have to go to find real problem, processor? tiny bit inside?
03-01-2019, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #374
Veteran Member

Pentax says it will be worth the wait until 2020 for the new camera. OK, so be it, but they should give some clues as well. It is likely that some of the potential buyers would buy another camera manufacturer until then. I will wait if I know the future camera will have a hybrid (optical and electronic) viewfinder, if it will implement focus stacking with certain lenses, etc. If I do not know anything, that is In the current situation, why should I wait the new camera until 2020?
03-01-2019, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #375
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
I will wait if I know the future camera will have a hybrid (optical and electronic) viewfinder, if it will implement focus stacking with certain lenses, etc.
I think perhaps that part of the problem is that companies with massively bigger R&D budgets might make a special effort to spoil the launch if they're too open about their intentions..