Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2019, 04:37 PM   #466
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think Q-mount is large enough to support the biggest part of a 1 inch sensor, like 4/3th cut from it. All current lenses obvious don't.
Sort of a Q-"H" sensor, then?

03-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #467
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
well most have lens roadmaps . but bodies not a chance and whole new product lines (like say a new mirrorless project) nope deny until a few weeks before it hits rhe shelf
See Mistral's post, Eddie.

It's also unusual for lenses, too many pitfalls for it to be standard.
03-12-2019, 05:08 PM   #468
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
See Mistral's post, Eddie.

It's also unusual for lenses, too many pitfalls for it to be standard.
last fuji was july last year showed the 16 (now released) the 35 f1 (2020) and the 16-80 f4 maybe later this year...in the x series anyway ..

03-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #469
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Perhaps Sony, Canon, and Nikon don't give interviews, but companies with smaller user bases do
Olympus Q&A @ CP+ 2019: Finally! Why the E-M5 III is running so late, and why not to worry
I would especially like to call your attention to the following exchange, which could have occurred in a discussion with Ricoh representatives:
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave Etchells/Imaging Resource:
So yeah, what, what is going on with your prosumer {cameras}? It feels a little bit like the middle has been abandoned, that you have the E-M10 III, and you have the E-M1-series, and... I don't know. I'll just leave it at that, and ask you what you can tell us, or what you can say.
QuoteOriginally posted by Shigemi Sugimoto/Olympus Corp:
As you know, E-M5 line was the first OM-D series, and it is important to the lineup for mid-range users that would express the strength of Olympus' system. We can reassure you that we plan to introduce a successor model.

03-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #470
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well that depends on print size
I get you point. However, thinking over it again, I figured out that for all sharp 24x36 frame , the lens is stopped down, the diffraction is such that we don't see a difference between 36 and 45mpixels.

---------- Post added 13-03-19 at 03:57 ----------

if a 100 mp medium format with a great macro dropa feom fuji or pentax (the affordable end) i could see him upgrading ...
The advantage of a 100Mp MF is going to be about cropping and macro. Other than that, landscape images shot with a GFX50 at f11 aren't sharp in foreground and background because at f11 the DoF isn't deep enough for the sharpness to be limited by pixel count. In order to get even sharpness on a normal/wide landscape scene with a 50Mp MF. the lens must be stopped down to at least f16, f16 diffracts on 5um pixels. so in reality it is hard to get more than 50Mpixels because either the pixels smaller than 5u diffract, or the sensor has to be large which then implies that the lens has to be stopped down further diaphragm diffraction kicks in.

---------- Post added 13-03-19 at 04:05 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
. If your current camera dies, just buy the same one again. If the K-70 or K-1 or KP get obsolete parts we can no longer build, we'll redesign with much cheaper, lower-res 8Mpixel sensors. Nobody will ever tell the difference anyway."
Thank you for pulling the emotional pendulum in complete opposite direction. I didn't imply that Pentax should go back to 8Mpixels, I meant that for example, you would get much "bang for the buck" by upgrading from a 36Mpixel full frame to 45Mpixels full frame, and especially not when considering lens limitations, DoF and diffraction. In practice, there is no way you'll be able to tell a difference between two prints, one from a K1 and say S1R or Z7.

---------- Post added 13-03-19 at 04:11 ----------

Images comparison in DPR or Imaging Resources are representative of real images because they use a fixed aperture value f8 regardless of the sensor resolutions and formats and on flat charts, using a tripod (no influence of shutter speed). Real photographic conditions are much less forgiving, and the difference between 24,36 or 50Mp will be much less visible than on test charts.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-12-2019 at 08:01 PM.
03-12-2019, 10:31 PM   #471
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

last fuji was july last year showed the 16 (now released) the 35 f1 (2020) and the 16-80 f4 maybe later this year...in the x series anyway ..
These were product announcements, Eddie.

03-13-2019, 04:24 AM   #472
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Thank you for pulling the emotional pendulum in complete opposite direction. I didn't imply that Pentax should go back to 8Mpixels, I meant that for example, you would get much "bang for the buck" by upgrading from a 36Mpixel full frame to 45Mpixels full frame, and especially not when considering lens limitations, DoF and diffraction. In practice, there is no way you'll be able to tell a difference between two prints, one from a K1 and say S1R or Z7.

---------- Post added 13-03-19 at 04:11 ----------

Images comparison in DPR or Imaging Resources are representative of real images because they use a fixed aperture value f8 regardless of the sensor resolutions and formats and on flat charts, using a tripod (no influence of shutter speed). Real photographic conditions are much less forgiving, and the difference between 24,36 or 50Mp will be much less visible than on test charts.
I get that. Sorry, I was probably being too snarky. But camera companies are like most any other tech company. They can't sit still, they can't expect to keep their customer base if they don't innovate. Our current cameras are very good. But if we hope to continue to shoot Pentax they have to figure out a business model that keeps them viable (cue Pentax is NOT doomed responses). All the camera companies are in a tight spot, not just Pentax. Most of the other companies seem to be moving into mirrorless, if Pentax chooses not to then they have to innovate in other ways that keeps them relevant. I certainly hope they can, but somehow they have to keep engaging their customer base. They don't have to give us detailed interviews with milestone charts for every release until 2030, but it would be nice to have a plan that's a little less vague.
03-13-2019, 06:56 AM   #473
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
These were product announcements, Eddie.
yeah i guess the vapour hints are gone the way of the dodo for most companies (in Fujis x line mostly there aren't a lot of empty holes needing filling like there were in the past, i could see updates to include WR on the older 14/18/23/35/56 and the 18-55 but that is not a new product so much as a refinement . leave the xc line for non WR

03-13-2019, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #474
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I didn't imply that Pentax should go back to 8Mpixels, I meant that for example, you would get much "bang for the buck" by upgrading from a 36Mpixel full frame to 45Mpixels full frame, and especially not when considering lens limitations, DoF and diffraction. In practice, there is no way you'll be able to tell a difference between two prints, one from a K1 and say S1R or Z7.
More pixels provide more cropping opportunities; it may also provide the marginal difference between fur showing clearly or not, or between writing being legible or not.
03-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #475
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i suppose no one went to the laowa booth? the showed the new 100mm 2:1 macro with electrical contacts (canon demo)... i know people are testing it, but no specific news
03-19-2019, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #476
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
i suppose no one went to the laowa booth? the showed the new 100mm 2:1 macro with electrical contacts (canon demo)... i know people are testing it, but no specific news

No news from CP+ from me, but I did have this exchange with them on FB Messenger last December:

QuoteQuote:
Me: Hello. I was hoping for an announcement of availability and pricing for the 100mm 2:1 macro lens in September... Will it be announced soon? Really looking forward to this lens!

Them: Thank you so much for the inquiry Pascal . We will get back to you soon!
Them: Haha sorry for the delay. It should be ready in early 2019.

Me: Do you mean that you will announce availability and pricing in early 2019 or that the lens will actually ship in early 2019?

Them: Announce availability in 2019. Hopefully it will be shipped before the first half of 2019.

Me: OK, that´s a mighty long time after the initial announcement, but thanks for the response...
03-20-2019, 07:09 AM   #477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
thanks! they posted more or less the same info on their fb page. nicky bay is testing one, but can't or doesn't care to comment on lens specs.... and hides his exif info