Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 324 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2019, 12:15 PM - 3 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
No mention of 11-18 or 70-200... I am afraid that those who don't care about GRIII will be disappointed... again. How can't they survive if they don't release lenses... I would love to give them my money for a 300 F2.8, a 24-70 F4 or a 16-35 F4. Come on Ricoh.
If possible the price of the 24-70 f4 and 16-35 f4 would be under 1K because Pentaxians are known to have no money to spend on cameras and lenses. For the Pentax K1, Ricoh Imaging had to sell it 30% of the price of other brand in order to get Pentaxians to buy it.

That said, I use my DFA*70-200 2.8 at f4 it becomes the new lens. My DFA24-70 f2.8 at f4 become the new lens as well. My DFA28-105 is tiny and also open at f4 between 28 and 70. And my DFA 15-30 f2.8 stopped to f4 give me the new lens of 2019. Every time Ricoh Imaging come up with something new, you don't have to not buy and ask for what they don't offer.

To illustrate the matter: I have a trick when I want to enjoy cruising through shopping without buying anything: if a sales person come to be trying to sell me something, I ask them for something they don't sell, it's works every time. So when Ricoh Imaging would come up with a 300 f2.8, just ask for a 400 f5.6 prime you'll be good for a few more years keeping the money safe in the bank account. When Ricoh Imaging release an DFA 85 1.4 , ask for an 100mm f1.4, and when they come up with a 100 f1.4, ask for the 135mm f1.8.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-21-2019 at 12:32 PM.
01-22-2019, 05:26 AM - 3 Likes   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This is about the Japanese market......20,3 % of compact camera units is shipped to the Japanese market7,0 % of dslr units is shipped to the Japanese market.13,9 % of mirrorless units is shipped to the Japanese market.I think with good marketing they can sell 20.000 units of GRiii in the home market.(And who knows they also bring a lens for k-mount)
Once we have K mount lenses already, it doesn't matter anymore whether Ricoh Imaging has 0% market share or not. Because camera bodies get obsolete fast, it doesn't matter what brand is the camera body, Pentax included. I have the lenses, I already spent the money on lenses, so if as long as Ricoh imaging will make new cameras and until my lenses are obsolete (obsolescence of lenses is a slow thing, especially when they are all silent focus already), I'll be fine with Pentax, no matter what market share is said that they have.

Writing negative things about Ricoh/Pentax doesn't bring any benefit; communicating low market share figures and fear of low market share is a useless thing to do, it's a waste of time for the writer and a waste of time for everybody.
01-22-2019, 05:38 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Writing negative things about Ricoh/Pentax doesn't bring any benefit; communicating low market share figures and fear of low market share is a useless thing to do, it's a waste of time for the writer and a waste of time for everybody.
Very well said. Indeed, depending on the context in which these things are written, they're not just of questionable use, but potentially inflammatory...
01-22-2019, 06:55 AM   #49
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I scratched my hair and came to the conclusion that my post wasn't clear. Put an edit to it.

01-22-2019, 10:34 AM - 5 Likes   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If ISO 819200 is actually a genuine requirement for you, you're going to be disappointed with the KP - or any other camera, from any manufacturer
Silly moderator. comment.

It is the only ISO that can capture a UFO, Bigfoot or a Yeti. That is why it is so important.
01-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #51
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GRIII, DA*11-18/2.8 and DFA*85/1.4 mock-up are all new products from Ricoh at CP+

I will be glad to be wrong.
01-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #52
Veteran Member

DA* 11-18 f2.8, new DA* 16-50 f2.8 and new APS-C body would be ok for me

02-06-2019, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #53
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The CP+ presentation schedule is now up on the Ricoh site.

CP+2019 Exhibition Guide ?RICOH IMAGING

There’s a lot about the GR. It makes me think that it is the main focus this year.

Obviously if there are any unannounced products, they would not be mentioned here. I might try to watch some of them. One that might be interesting is the Pentax/GR inside development story with Kimio Tanaka. He almost always ends up revealing more than he’s supposed to. The others are likely to be more illumination from a photography point of view, though.
02-06-2019, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I was astonished to find that Ricoh is the only one to have a control to change the interface to English. All the other ones I checked assume you want to navigate to another country's site.

So Ricoh might have some awkward wording and errors, but at least they make the effort to communicate in English in the first place. I think they are doing OK. There is some meaningful content on the page itself and the associated special sites for K-mount and the GR.
OK- going off subject slightly, I agree - I think the Pentax website is a actually strong point of the brand. Mainly because it doesn't follow the usual massive corporate website model of "simplicity hiding a whole lot of outdated and hidden crud." Try and upgrade your firmware or download the latest software using the websites of some other brands.

Pentax doesn't require you to either enter your serial number, correctly type in the model number of the camera then hit search, no need to parse through hundreds of irrelevant search results.
Just hit 'support' then 'software downloads' bingo. There they all are - firmware and software for every model and you can see the version number on this page too.
02-07-2019, 12:51 AM   #55
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The CP+ presentation schedule is now up on the Ricoh site.

CP+2019 Exhibition Guide ?RICOH IMAGING

There’s a lot about the GR. It makes me think that it is the main focus this year.
I was right - GRIII and DA*11-18/2.8
02-07-2019, 01:51 AM - 3 Likes   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have a tenency here to build up a fever pitch of excitement about surprises from Ricoh but that isn't supported by what actually happens. I think the fact that they specifically said that the anniversary wasn't until November should serve as a damper on too much expectation. They obviously are working on stuff, but surprises tend to be more of the order of the revamped 35/2 than unannounced new bodies. I'm not trying to be pessimistic here, just realistic - I think they are doing exactly what they say they ae doing, no more and no less.

Last edited by ffking; 02-07-2019 at 08:17 AM.
02-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
We have a tenency here to build up a fever pitch of excitement about surprises from Ricoh but that isn't supported by what actually happens. I think the fact that they specifically said that the anniversary wasn't until November should derve as a damper on too much expectation. They obviously are working on stuff, but surprises tend to be more of the order of the revamped 35/2 than unannounced new bodies. I'm not trying to be pessimistic here, just realistic - I think they are doing exactly what they say they ae doing, no more and no less.
What you write makes a lot of sense and is not pessimistic at all.
02-07-2019, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

We have a tenency here to build up a fever pitch of excitement about surprises from Ricoh but that isn't supported by what actually happens. I think the fact that they specifically said that the anniversary wasn't until November should serve as a damper on too much expectation. They obviously are working on stuff, but surprises tend to be more of the order of the revamped 35/2 than unannounced new bodies. I'm not trying to be pessimistic here, just realistic - I think they are doing exactly what they say they ae doing, no more and no less.
For all of us whose photography lives by the purchase of new camera models and new lenses, our art practice takes a big hit when there is no new product [Warning: this sentence reveals a lot of heavy truth in it].
02-07-2019, 09:00 AM   #59
Pentaxian

First word of the K-1ii leaked out on January 25, 2018
K-1 Mark II! - PentaxForums.com

First "K-1ii imminent" post was on February 19. 2018
K-1 mark II imminent - PentaxForums.com

so hoping for a surprise has not been totally unreasonable.

A CP+ where they announce something, a Ricoh something, that was pre-announced at Photokina, and show a lens that has been "out there" for quite some time, will not be the high point of the year ..... at least, I hope we have a higher point.

notes:

@beholder3; please note, I am not feeling very optimistic right now

@biz-engineeer; please note, I purchased my KP on Black Friday, so I have no desire to purchase another camera body right now; in fact at age 71, I have no expectation of ever purchasing another camera body, but I feel bad for those waiting for a K-3ii replacement, not knowing where their next camera body may come from

Last edited by reh321; 02-07-2019 at 09:10 AM. Reason: notes
02-07-2019, 09:02 AM   #60
ogl
Banned

As for me, situation with Pentax DSLR is rather strange....Only 3 models are on the photo market and rather old...

K-1II (1 year old) is just minor upgrade of K-1 (3 year old), KP - 2 years old and K-70 - 2 year 8 months old...

I'm a bit confused with so long period of camera's releases...As I remember, that they wanted to upgrade entry-level cameras in 1.5 years, advanced models in 2-2.5 years...

K-3II isn't already offered for purchase world-wide...It was announced in April, 2015 as some tweaked version of K-3 (5.5 years old).

645Z is announced by Ricoh on April 15, 2014. It will be 5 years.

By the way, 645D is announced by Pentax on March 10, 2010. The period between 645D and 645Z is 4 years. Not 5.