Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 324 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2019, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #76
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I do think, that those that were eagerly awaiting a high end APS-C body will have moved on. The K3 was high end in its days, but cannot seriously be called such today. Those that would simply like to have a new APS-C camera that competes with todays top models, but still just as happily shoot their K3, won't be that many in numbers, I assume. Simply because the camera world has moved on, and as said: the options are growing.
I think you assume incorrectly, Chris... At least, that's my take on it. I think you seriously underestimate the desire of a certain portion of folks to stay with Pentax - especially those who've been with the brand for some time, rather than those who joined in the last couple of years, perhaps as one of several brand changes over a short period of time.

But, hey... We could both be right or wrong It doesn't really matter... Whatever folks have already done really isn't of consequence, as it's happened already. What matters is whether or not the large number of current Pentax APS-C shooters are going to be catered for with a new high-end body. I hope they (we) are, and some time soon. This year would be great

02-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #77
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I think the waiting and pining over a K3 successor has passed for the majority of those that were involved. Just imagine people still moaning over an Olympus E5 4/3 dslr successor.... .
That time has passed and I assume most are now looking around across brands for a suitable option.
That is why I think that top level aps-c k-mount camera isn't coming. A more suitable fullframe camera could fill that spot.
02-07-2019, 03:44 PM - 2 Likes   #78
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is why I think that top level aps-c k-mount camera isn't coming. A more suitable fullframe camera could fill that spot.
You may be correct, but that would fly in the face of recent interviews with Ricoh Imaging personnel...
02-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well, if it isn’t, I’ll simply buy a KP the next time a sale is on. My K-3 is still good, but I want something physically smaller and better at low-light to go with my DA lenses, for travel. However, I’m not sure about the logic that says options are growing in a shrinking camera market, though it could be a final scramble for relevance, before makers start dropping off the perch.

02-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You may be correct, but that would fly in the face of recent interviews with Ricoh Imaging personnel...
My concern has been in understanding what the Ricoh representatives are actually saying - I trust the PF representatives, but I don't quite trust that Ricoh understands concepts quite the same as we do, nor do I trust Ricoh to have an immutable plan (*), nor do I quite trust renditions in English of what they are thinking ..... that is why the appearance of announcements or actual products are so important to me.

(*) In fact, their words seem to suggest that they have re-examined their plan several times.
02-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #81
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My concern has been in understanding what the Ricoh representatives are actually saying - I trust the PF representatives, but I don't quite trust that Ricoh understands concepts quite the same as we do, nor do I trust Ricoh to have an immutable plan (*), nor do I quite trust renditions in English of what they are thinking ..... that is why the appearance of announcements or actual products are so important to me.

(*) In fact, their words seem to suggest that they have re-examined their plan several times.
For sure... and whatever the reps say, it still won't necessarily reflect the real discussions going on within Ricoh Imaging. We'll only know for sure when it delivers a new product. If it doesn't, we still can't say one way or another... because that product could still be coming, at a later date.

Given the new DA* lens, I think it's clear the company hasn't given up on APS-C. I'm therefore hopeful we'll see something this year on the K-3II replacement, or if not, further APS-C development...
02-07-2019, 04:29 PM - 2 Likes   #82
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Well, if it isn’t, I’ll simply buy a KP the next time a sale is on. My K-3 is still good, but I want something physically smaller and better at low-light to go with my DA lenses, for travel.
Then the KP is your camera. My K-3's lack of a tilting LCD drove me to get a KP for a Galapagos trip, where low angle shooting is necessary. The KP performed magnificently, and for my money (I got no super deal on it) is the Pentax travel camera par excellence. Lenses were the 16-85 and the 55-300 PLM. The high ISO performance blows the socks off the K-3.

I'm sure the forthcoming higher-end APS-C camera will be even better, but it will surely be bigger and heavier than the KP. Oh, I'm going get it too. Someday.

02-07-2019, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #83
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I'm a bit confused with so long period of camera's releases...As I remember, that they wanted to upgrade entry-level cameras in 1.5 years, advanced models in 2-2.5 years...
What is your proof of this?

Even Sony - who produce more products than anyone - have not released an entry-level camera since 2014.
02-07-2019, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #84
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My concern has been in understanding what the Ricoh representatives are actually saying - I trust the PF representatives, but I don't quite trust that Ricoh understands concepts quite the same as we do, nor do I trust Ricoh to have an immutable plan (*), nor do I quite trust renditions in English of what they are thinking ..... that is why the appearance of announcements or actual products are so important to me..
Such a roller coaster ride with you, Reh!

Didn't I read a couple of days ago you saying there'd be a K-3 successor this year, even without evidence?
02-07-2019, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Both new converters are fullframe and with all AF systems compatible.
But still no exactly shipping date.
Still in late prototype condition.
Maybe because of the new tele lenses.
Best regards
Posted mid-November 2018 . . . . .
02-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Given the new DA* lens, I think it's clear the company hasn't given up on APS-C. I'm therefore hopeful we'll see something this year on the K-3II replacement, or if not, further APS-C development...
I essentially agree - which is why three days ago I said
Last month I was rather dubious about the K-3ii replacement - but this 'quick' release of the DA* 11-18 made it obvious that this year won't be mostly "FF" as I had been thinking.
but as an engineer at heart, I guess I need to see it to continue believing,
02-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Such a roller coaster ride with you, Reh!

Didn't I read a couple of days ago you saying there'd be a K-3 successor this year, even without evidence?
My 'evidence' is a lot of scattered things, such as that gaping hole in their line-up, and the length of time they've been saying a successor is coming. However in my heart of hearts, I'd been expecting to see the K-3 successor follow a timing similar to the K-1ii last year, which means we would have seen a {confusing} leak by now. I'm having trouble with the thought of a CP+ in which the only thing of interest to Pentax owners is a {late} lens and a {rewarmed} lens.
02-07-2019, 06:38 PM - 2 Likes   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My 'evidence' is a lot of scattered things, such as that gaping hole in their line-up, and the length of time they've been saying a successor is coming. However in my heart of hearts, I'd been expecting to see the K-3 successor follow a timing similar to the K-1ii last year, which means we would have seen a {confusing} leak by now. I'm having trouble with the thought of a CP+ in which the only thing of interest to Pentax owners is a {late} lens and a {rewarmed} lens.
No personal criticism intended - but Ricoh has been quite frank about what is coming (just the GRlll and the 11-18) since Photokina. They’ve changed their story about an APSc ILC but not the delivery date. It has always been late 2019 or later. Promoting the f/4 zoom to ‘Spring 2019” delivery date was good news. Clearly the HD 35/2 is a surprise.

IMHO there should be a finished pre-production DFA70~200/4 on display, and probably a release date in May.
02-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Then the KP is your camera.

I'm sure the forthcoming higher-end APS-C camera will be even better, but it will surely be bigger and heavier than the KP. Oh, I'm going get it too. Someday.
If size and weight is a major priority doesn't the K-70 accomplish much the same at a lesser price? I don't think it's bigger than the KP, but maybe I'm wrong.
02-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They’ve changed their story about an APSc ILC but not the delivery date. It has always been late 2019 or later.
The most recent Pentax camera was announced a year ago. Are we assuming that a couple more FF cameras are announced before the K-3ii replacement?