Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 324 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2019, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #196
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Ricoh was never recognized as a good SLR brand (worse than Pentax).
On the other hand, Pentax was never recognized as a good compact camera brand (worse than Ricoh).

02-23-2019, 06:06 AM   #197
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I was more thinking of a limited edition, in Silver. Wrapped up in leather box, made out of zebra skin, with a Silver Ricoh HD FA 31mm/f1.8 Ltd and a strap made of a cobra skin. Maybe 800 boxes, for only 4.999 €£$
02-23-2019, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #198
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
On the other hand, Pentax was never recognized as a good compact camera brand (worse than Ricoh).
I remember their compacts were quite famous, back in the film days.
02-23-2019, 06:46 AM   #199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ricoh was never recognized as a good SLR brand (worse than Pentax). But dual brand is a bad idea. Ricoh should have either moved everthing under Ricoh brand or everything under Pentax name. Being small and have two brand weaken even more the brand. They've rebranded the WG series as Ricoh, but I wonder what was the value of doing this (beside internal politics).
It seems this CP+ seems to be all about Ricoh branded products. Maybe a surprise will show up.

02-23-2019, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #200
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
No personal criticism intended - but Ricoh has been quite frank about what is coming (just the GRlll and the 11-18) since Photokina.
02-23-2019, 06:52 AM   #201
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ricoh was never recognized as a good SLR brand (worse than Pentax). But dual brand is a bad idea. Ricoh should have either moved everthing under Ricoh brand or everything under Pentax name. Being small and have two brand weaken even more the brand. They've rebranded the WG series as Ricoh, but I wonder what was the value of doing this (beside internal politics).
To me the dual brand strategy makes sense. I've said it before in regards to milcs that Ricoh is a very strong quirky 'modernist' camera brand whilst Pentax is a quirky 'mechanical' camera brand. They are strangely similar in their single mindedness but have imho quite different qualities. They could in time evolve closer together but I cant really see why you would ditch the brand names. Actually the KP/K-1 is already moving closer to Ricoh. Perhaps some oddball innovation like hybrid ovf would move them even closer.
02-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #202
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
It seems this CP+ seems to be all about Ricoh branded products.
That is at the root of my negative emotional reaction to Ricoh in general and to the GRiii in specific. Ever since Photokina, 'promises' to Pentax users have become more and more vague {we 'know' less than we did six months ago} while news to Ricoh users has become better and better.

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Maybe a surprise will show up.
That alone would be a surprise

02-23-2019, 08:44 AM   #203
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is at the root of my negative emotional reaction to Ricoh in general and to the GRiii in specific. Ever since Photokina, 'promises' to Pentax users have become more and more vague {we 'know' less than we did six months ago} while news to Ricoh users has become better and better.
What did they acually promised? Two lenses already in stores.
02-23-2019, 08:59 AM - 2 Likes   #204
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Whilst I respect your view, I don't see it this way. We finally have the DA*11-18... The HD FA35/2 was an unexpected bonus. As for the Ricoh-branded products, it's just a brand name - and all under the same Ricoh Imaging product range. Whilst the WG-6 and G900 might not set many folks alight with excitement, they clearly have appeal to some, and the GRIII is a serious photographic tool, and has generated quite a lot of excitement in these forums - for good reason, it would seem, given the specification. It's way more than an incremental update to the previous model.

It surely would be nice to see a K-3II replacement in the near future, and it would certainly be nice if Ricoh could communicate with its user base more effectively, but it seems like we've quite a bit to be pleased about this year already... Just my opinion, of course
02-23-2019, 09:05 AM   #205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That alone would be a surprise
Why have a negative emotional to the GRIII or any of the other products Ricoh is updating? I'm happy Ricoh isn't announcing a cut back. Grab that KP and find something to photograph.

Actually we know no more nor less than we knew 6 months ago. The truth is "we" thought we knew but never actually knew anything other than rumors. If its not coming from Ricoh/Pentax its nothing more than a rumor. I'm just going to sit back and see what comes out in the coming 10 months and be happy with my decrepit out dated K-3 that still does fantastic with its intended job. Oh and I'm also going to visit PF News and Rumors a whole lot less and be a bunch happier.
02-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #206
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
What did they acually promised? Two lenses already in stores.
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It surely would be nice to see a K-3II replacement in the near future, and it would certainly be nice if Ricoh could communicate with its user base more effectively, but it seems like we've quite a bit to be pleased about this year already... Just my opinion, of course
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Why have a negative emotional to the GRIII or any of the other products Ricoh is updating? I'm happy Ricoh isn't announcing a cut back. Grab that KP and find something to photograph.

Actually we know no more nor less than we knew 6 months ago. The truth is "we" thought we knew but never actually knew anything other than rumors. If its not coming from Ricoh/Pentax its nothing more than a rumor. I'm just going to sit back and see what comes out in the coming 10 months and be happy with my decrepit out dated K-3 that still does fantastic with its intended job. Oh and I'm also going to visit PF News and Rumors a whole lot less and be a bunch happier.
Wow, three responses to one comment. I must have hit a nerve or something - although it is nice to get a positive reaction from Ron.

I was going to give an extensive narration of what we thought we knew after the dust had cleared from CP+, but I don't see any benefit to that. We don't know the details of what is going on inside Ricoh/Pentax, nor should we expect to. I am perfectly happy with my KP - I even took a couple of photos since I sat down at my computer desk, but the KP perfectly fits the one sight / one shot style I developed years ago when my film cameras didn't have motor drive; I do wish Pentax would address the lack of NIB camera for those who need KP characteristics plus buffer larger than I can image; if a member here drops his K-3 onto concrete or a new member is interested in a K-3 class camera, used is the only path open to them, and that bothers me. It has been over a year since the last Pentax camera announcement, the longest gap between Pentax camera announcements since I joined here; perhaps that shouldn't bother me, but it does.
02-23-2019, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #207

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Whilst I respect your view, I don't see it this way. We finally have the DA*11-18... The HD FA35/2 was an unexpected bonus. As for the Ricoh-branded products, it's just a brand name - and all under the same Ricoh Imaging product range. Whilst the WG-6 and G900 might not set many folks alight with excitement, they clearly have appeal to some, and the GRIII is a serious photographic tool, and has generated quite a lot of excitement in these forums - for good reason, it would seem, given the specification. It's way more than an incremental update to the previous model.

And new Theta!!
02-23-2019, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, three responses to one comment. I must have hit a nerve or something - although it is nice to get a positive reaction from Ron.

I was going to give an extensive narration of what we thought we knew after the dust had cleared from CP+, but I don't see any benefit to that. We don't know the details of what is going on inside Ricoh/Pentax, nor should we expect to. I am perfectly happy with my KP - I even took a couple of photos since I sat down at my computer desk, but the KP perfectly fits the one sight / one shot style I developed years ago when my film cameras didn't have motor drive; I do wish Pentax would address the lack of NIB camera for those who need KP characteristics plus buffer larger than I can image; if a member here drops his K-3 onto concrete or a new member is interested in a K-3 class camera, used is the only path open to them, and that bothers me. It has been over a year since the last Pentax camera announcement, the longest gap between Pentax camera announcements since I joined here; perhaps that shouldn't bother me, but it does.
Yep, Ol Ron had had two positive R/P comments in one day and he even got a Like from me on one of his. I'm losing faith in him.

No nerve was damaged, My Friend. I just didn't want you to get into emotional overload. Just trying to help a fellow Pentaxian. No narration is needed we can all see what we "thought" we saw "after the dust had cleared from CP+ and some people tend to see things differently while looking at the same thing. I prefer to stay positive about the future High Spec APS-C camera from Pentax.

Now isn't it a lot less emotional capturing photos than sitting at your computer fretting over rumors or the next rumor?
02-23-2019, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #209
Pentaxian

(...) It has been over a year since the last Pentax camera announcement, the longest gap between Pentax camera announcements since I joined here; perhaps that shouldn't bother me, but it does.
reh21, I understand your frustration but we've known worse.

KP announcement (26 January 2017) --> K-1 II announcement (22 February 2018) = 392 days (I'm not counting the K-1 Limited Silver announcement in August 2017 as a 'Pentax camera announcement' stricto sensu).

K-1 II announcement --> now = 367 days.

The 392-day KP --> K-1 II record would be equalled on 21 March 2019.

If no new Pentax camera, not even a camera's development, is announced before summer, I agree, we shall begin to worry. In the meantime, let's enjoy what we have and be happy for those who are interested in the latest Pentax lenses and Ricoh cameras.
02-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #210
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
reh21, I understand your frustration but we've known worse.

KP announcement (26 January 2017) --> K-1 II announcement (22 February 2018) = 392 days (I'm not counting the K-1 Limited Silver announcement in August 2017 as a 'Pentax camera announcement' stricto sensu).

K-1 II announcement --> now = 367 days.

The 392-day KP --> K-1 II record would be equalled on 21 March 2019.

If no new Pentax camera, not even a camera's development, is announced before summer, I agree, we shall begin to worry. In the meantime, let's enjoy what we have and be happy for those who are interested in the latest Pentax lenses and Ricoh cameras.
The longest one was between K-5, september 20th 2010 and K-01 on februari 2th 2012. In between there was the change of ownership.