Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2019, 05:36 AM - 2 Likes   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It looks like a translation error (rather, a spelling error during translation); the Japanese version says PENTAX.

PETAX is proof of the brand diminishing into nothingness, for now, from 6 to 5 letters - but who knows tomorrow?
Maybe if they change the letters one at a time they think no one will notice.

Pentax.......
Petax.......
Retax......
Ritax.....
Ricax....
Ricox..... 😮
Ricoh....

See you didn't even no what was happening.

02-24-2019, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #227
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do we know for a fact that Hoya owns the Pentax trade name?
02-24-2019, 05:46 AM   #228
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
"An eye open" is reference to a viewfinder?
The device next to the 'Keep an eye open fore more news coming at CP+' sentence is the Ricoh Theta Z1 rumoured to be announced tomorrow.
02-24-2019, 06:31 AM   #229
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Do we know for a fact that Hoya owns the Pentax trade name?
Yes we do. Just consult any brand data base such as that of the WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization) WIPO Global Brand Database or the EUIPO (European Union Intellectual Property Office) https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#advanced/trademarks and you'll be able to check it by yourself.

You might envisage to narrow your search to Class 9 of the Nice classification to avoid non-pertinent answers.

QuoteQuote:
Scientific, research, navigation, surveying, photographic, cinematographic, audiovisual, optical, weighing, measuring, signalling, detecting, testing, inspecting, life-saving and teaching apparatus and instruments; apparatus and instruments for conducting, switching, transforming, accumulating, regulating or controlling the distribution or use of electricity; apparatus and instruments for recording, transmitting, reproducing or processing sound, images or data; recorded and downloadable media, computer software, blank digital or analogue recording and storage media; mechanisms for coin-operated apparatus; cash registers, calculating devices; computers and computer peripheral devices; diving suits, divers' masks, ear plugs for divers, nose clips for divers and swimmers, gloves for divers, breathing apparatus for underwater swimming; fire-extinguishing apparatus.
See for instance https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/000340349

02-24-2019, 06:35 AM - 3 Likes   #230
Pentaxian

A search within the database of the German Patent and Trademark Office (DPMA - Deutsches Patent- und Markenamt) DPMAregister | Marken - Einsteigerrecherche shows that the Pentax trademark was first filed by Asahi Optical on 22 September 1952 but was only registered on 11 August 1955 because the filing had to face the opposition of a third party, probably VEB Zeiss Ikon Dresden (German Democratic Republic) that used the Pentax name for a 1954 prototype.

DPMAregister | Marken - Registerauskunft

The 1954 Pentax prototype camera from VEB Zeiss Ikon Dresden:

02-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh well, at least I can stll sell my garden produce under the Pentax brand - as long as nobody claims they use it as photographic equipment

When it says EUTM, does that mean they have to get it trademarked differently in different parts of the world?
02-24-2019, 08:28 AM   #232
Pentaxian

Oh well, at least I can stll sell my garden produce under the Pentax brand - as long as nobody claims they use it as photographic equipment

(...)
If your garden products are fresh fruits and vegetables which haven't been subjected to any form of preparation for consumption (except washing or waxing), that's Class 31 and, indeed, the name 'Pentax' is free in Class 31. Hurry up and file your application!

(...)

When it says EUTM, does that mean they have to get it trademarked differently in different parts of the world?
Yes, that's the general way of doing: you must normally file an application (and pay a fee) for each and every country you want the name being trademarked in. The European Union is an exception: you can file an application in a member state and get trademarked in the whole Union (however, the fee is larger for a whole-Union trademark than for a single-country trademark).

02-24-2019, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #233
Veteran Member

The full terms of the Ricoh acquisition of Pentax have never been disclosed, as far as I can tell, so it is not possible to say that full ownership of all Hoya intellectual property (trademarks, brand names, licenses, patents etc) was part of the deal with Ricoh

As to the Pentax trademark and brand-name, all that is revealed is that Ricoh and Hoya agreed to continue to co-operate with each other to 'increase the value of the Pentax brand', whatever that means.

Ricoh to acquire HOYA's PENTAX I... | Global | Ricoh
02-24-2019, 02:15 PM   #234
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
(...)

As to the Pentax trademark and brand-name, all that is revealed is that Ricoh and Hoya agreed to continue to co-operate with each other to 'increase the value of the Pentax brand', whatever that means.

(...)
I think this sentence is a reference to the fact that the use of the Pentax brand is now shared between Hoya (medical devices) and Ricoh (cameras and lenses), hence it's in the interest of both parties to increase the value of the Pentax brand.
02-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #235
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh and Hoya agreed to continue to co-operate with each other to 'increase the value of the Pentax brand', whatever that means.
I took it as meaning that both Hoya and Ricoh understand that the "Pentax" brand is something of value, and both are committed to doing nothing that would devalue the brand, but instead both will attempt to increase its value.
02-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #236
Pentaxian

Has anyone an idea how Pentax surveying id related to that?
PENTAX Surveying – Aiming at the future together
I had some contact with the instruments at some projects...

And what happened to the telescopes?
02-24-2019, 04:26 PM - 2 Likes   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
And what happened to the telescopes?
I think Hoya sold off surveying shortly after 2008, in a different deal to the Ricoh transaction and what happened to the medical business.

Eg for surveying TI Asahi Co., Ltd was the buyer (or vehicle for the sale):

"TI Asahi Co., Ltd. was established in November 2009, for the purpose of succeeding and further developing PENTAX surveying instrument business."
Pentax Survey | C.R.Kennedy Survey Solutions

All buyers of the Pentax businesses that Hoya sold off no doubt had to agree 'to increase the value of the brand' whilst Hoya retained overall trademark/brand ownership.

Interestingly, you can even buy Pentax-branded drones now like the UP-1, to mount your K-1 on :

Last edited by rawr; 02-24-2019 at 04:37 PM.
02-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The full terms of the Ricoh acquisition of Pentax have never been disclosed, as far as I can tell, so it is not possible to say that full ownership of all Hoya intellectual property (trademarks, brand names, licenses, patents etc) was part of the deal with Ricoh

Ricoh to acquire HOYA's PENTAX I... | Global | Ricoh

I will admit I have know idea what Hoya is doing in that respect but I have to wonder if Ricoh is holding up that end of the agreement?
02-24-2019, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #239
Pentaxian

Interestingly, you can even buy Pentax-branded drones now like the UP-1, to mount your K-1 on

A drone that can lift a K-1 with lens and gimbal is a bit scary, AFAIC.
02-24-2019, 11:56 PM   #240
Pentaxian

Pentax brand

The Italians have the best weather resistant Pentax products:
https://www.pentax-pumps.it/en

I do wonder, if Hoya or Ricoh did allow such brand naming.