Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 324 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #451
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My recollection from previous discussions in the "Q" and "mirrorless" sections is that image circle from Q-mount lenses is too small even for 'one inch' sensors, so going to larger than current 1/1.7" sensor would require going to another mount - so it wouldn't really be a "Q" ..... considering weaknesses of current "Q" line, it basically would be a whole new start.
I think Q-mount is large enough to support the biggest part of a 1 inch sensor, like 4/3th cut from it. All current lenses obvious don't.

03-12-2019, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #452
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Was the Pentax Forums interview ever posted?
Looking backwards, I believe that Ricoh Imaging shouldn't accept interviews with answers that are posted publicly on the internet.
Why do I believe that? I believe that, because answers to interview question can't reveal anything meaningful that would otherwise set expectations on products with specifications not finalized yet, and because it would provide competitors with good ideas that would wipe off any Pentax differentiation. Do Sony, Canon, Nikon, and other accept interview that reveals their plans: NO, they don't. So, why should Ricoh Imaging do it? Go ask the specs of the next Canon camera model, just to see how much your questions will be answered by Canon.

I wish that Ricoh Imaging give no info at all.
03-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #453
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Looking backwards, I believe that Ricoh Imaging shouldn't accept interviews with answers that are posted publicly on the internet.
Why do I believe that? I believe that, because answers to interview question can't reveal anything meaningful that would otherwise set expectations on products with specifications not finalized yet, and because it would provide competitors with good ideas that would wipe off any Pentax differentiation. Do Sony, Canon, Nikon, and other accept interview that reveals their plans: NO, they don't. So, why should Ricoh Imaging do it? Go ask the specs of the next Canon camera model, just to see how much your questions will be answered by Canon.
Because they're in the business of selling stuff and there should probably be some way to communicate plans with their potential customers. Especially when their marketing budget outside of Japan is approximately $3.25.

03-12-2019, 01:20 PM - 2 Likes   #454
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Because they're in the business of selling stuff and there should probably be some way to communicate plans with their potential customers. Especially when their marketing budget outside of Japan is approximately $3.25.
Knowing what Ricoh Imaging are going to do is your wish only. Marketing doesn't consist at all in communicating plans to the public. Only in special parternship limited plans are shared and under NDA.

03-12-2019, 01:22 PM - 2 Likes   #455
Pentaxian

Knowing what Ricoh Imaging are going to do is your wish only. Marketing doesn't consist at all in communicating plans to the public. Only in special parternship limited plans are shared and under NDA.
Marketing, you say?
Best In The Industry - Dilbert Comic Strip on 2019-03-12 | Dilbert by Scott Adams
03-12-2019, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #456
Pentaxian

I'm not really surprise that there isn't much new, because the K1 is about as good as it gets as per my own calculations... Unfortunately, once we have a K1 and lenses, there is a lot more to gain by improving what and how we photograph. Get more mega pixel or a larger sensor and hit the diffraction limit... or get a smaller sensor and hit you limited ability to keep the subject in the frame. The K1 is one of the most versatile system ever, with pixels density at the sweet spot of dynamic range and resolution , featuring a crop mode with faster frame rate. I wonder what else people want, and I am not surprised that the D810 had such a success and that Ricoh made the K1 similar but smaller. When 8Mpixels are enough for a normal viewing distance of prints, I wonder how many people really use the 36Mpixels fully and asking for more pixels? or what?
03-12-2019, 02:08 PM   #457
Pentaxian

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal - 2012-05-01

03-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #458
Veteran Member

I'm not really surprise that there isn't much new, because the K1 is about as good as it gets as per my own calculations... Unfortunately, once we have a K1 and lenses, there is a lot more to gain by improving what and how we photograph. Get more mega pixel or a larger sensor and hit the diffraction limit... or get a smaller sensor and hit you limited ability to keep the subject in the frame. The K1 is one of the most versatile system ever, with pixels density at the sweet spot of dynamic range and resolution , featuring a crop mode with faster frame rate. I wonder what else people want, and I am not surprised that the D810 had such a success and that Ricoh made the K1 similar but smaller. When 8Mpixels are enough for a normal viewing distance of prints, I wonder how many people really use the 36Mpixels fully and asking for more pixels? or what?
well that depends on print size . my cousin has the 810 and he still has to seriously massage filed for the prints he makes for his art shows (usually 4'x6') but he previoisly was using a 12 mp d3 . even at 6 feet back the difference in filea is immediately apparent. if a 100 mp medium format with a great macro dropa feom fuji or pentax (the affordable end) i could see him upgrading ...

03-12-2019, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #459
Pentaxian

No reason to replace the K-1ii right now, but there is lots of room for additional products:

(1) 24mp FF : this would have a different function, a different place in the market - many Nikon users say the D750 is their favorite camera; ultimately, it may be Nikon's best ISO performer

(2) 45mp FF - another function with another place in the market - again, look at success of D850 ... they managed to have a waiting list for months; providing more crop options is not a bad thing

(3) K-3ii replacement - if you don't understand the business case for this, you haven't been paying attention.
03-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #460
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax, the honest, straightforward camera company. "Everything we make now is pretty much as good as it gets. We'll just keep making the same stuff for the foreseeable future. If your current camera dies, just buy the same one again. If the K-70 or K-1 or KP get obsolete parts we can no longer build, we'll redesign with much cheaper, lower-res 8Mpixel sensors. Nobody will ever tell the difference anyway."
03-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #461
Pentaxian

Marketing doesn't consist at all in communicating plans to the public. Only in special parternship limited plans are shared and under NDA.
Marketing can consist of telling your loyal users what is coming so that they will remain your loyal users.
03-12-2019, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #462
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Marketing can consist of telling your loyal users what is coming so that they will remain your loyal users.
Camera and consumer electronics companies generally don't do this. It's not worth the criticism when a project has to be shutdown because plans change.

They'll inform the public when a product has been greenlit, it's unusual to have something like the Pentax lens roadmap. It can be used to beat you up with.
03-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #463
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Camera and consumer electronics companies generally don't do this. It's not worth the criticism when a project has to be shutdown because plans change.

They'll inform the public when a product has been greenlit, it's unusual to have something like the Pentax lens roadmap. It can be used to beat you up with.
well most have lens roadmaps . but bodies not a chance and whole new product lines (like say a new mirrorless project) nope deny until a few weeks before it hits rhe shelf

03-12-2019, 04:00 PM - 4 Likes   #464
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(...) it's unusual to have something like the Pentax lens roadmap. It can be used to beat you up with.
Challengers publish roadmaps to inspire confidence, leaders don't need to do it and don't do it.
  • Sony used to publish roadmaps, first at the beginning of the E mount, then during the first years of the 24x36 E-mount cameras. They don't any more.
  • Canon and Nikon never published roadmaps for their EF and F mounts. They are now publishing roadmaps for their RF and Z mounts.
  • Fujifilm haven't updated their Fujifilm X roadmap for ages. They are still publishing a Fujifilm G roadmap.
  • Leica are publishing a roadmap of their SL lenses
  • Olympus used to publish a roadmap at the beginning of the µ4/3 venture. They stopped in November 2009. They resumed publishing such a roadmap in January 2019, probably because they felt at risk with Panasonic investing in the L mount.
  • Hasselblad don't publish a roadmap for their HC/HCD lenses but they do for their XCD lenses.
03-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #465
Pentaxian

I wish that Ricoh Imaging give no info at all.
Perhaps Sony, Canon, and Nikon don't give interviews, but companies with smaller user bases do
Olympus Q&A @ CP+ 2019: Finally! Why the E-M5 III is running so late, and why not to worry
CP+ 2019: Mirrorless camera growth a double-edged sword for Sigma, Cameras News & Top Stories - The Straits Times