Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2008, 04:33 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
There is no any proof that Hoya is the owner of Tokina, it's some kind of mistake.
It's not the interview with Iue, it's simply exposition of interview by journalist
I did a search on Japan Google and got lots of results that indicate that Tokina is owned by Kenko, which is owned by Hoya.

09-30-2008, 04:48 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
The 4/3 sensor is smaller than the APS-C sensor, so there shouldn't be any problems using any Pentax lenses.
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Sure but how will you set the aperture value??
There could (in theory) be an adapter with an aperture ring that you could set an aperture preset for a DA lens, and could even give some feedback to the body so stop-down metering wasn't necessary. It would have an electronically actuated diaphragm lever to stop down the lens.
Sounds a bit complex and expensive, no?

But this is all fantasy that will never become reality. Even if, hypothetically, Pentax made a micro 4/3rds camera and there was a clear demand for a niche product like this adapter, it would probably never be made.
Do they even make extension tubes any more? No.
Any chance of KAF2 mount being un-crippled? Nah.
New firmware for older DSLR models... anytime..? Unlikely.

Call me pessimistic, but I see this as realistic. I like to think that Pentax cares about its loyal users and all their old lenses, but I wouldn't put it past them to just make us buy a load of new lenses just because they can.
09-30-2008, 06:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I did a search on Japan Google and got lots of results that indicate that Tokina is owned by Kenko, which is owned by Hoya.
I have yet to find anything in English. I have found that the pres. of Tokina and Kenko are the same........
09-30-2008, 07:32 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I have yet to find anything in English. I have found that the pres. of Tokina and Kenko are the same........
Well, then it won't surprise anyone that the website of Kenko can be found at the following address:

http://www.kenko-tokina.co.jp

09-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
True on a mechanical point of view but a DA/FAJ lens will be unusable but f/22 or whatever smallest aperture setting.
A DA lens on a full manual K mount will work wide open only: the diapraghm is opened when mounting the lens.
09-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Silly statement!

QuoteOriginally posted by Spongefingers Quote
Call me pessimistic, but I see this as realistic. I like to think that Pentax cares about its loyal users and all their old lenses, but I wouldn't put it past them to just make us buy a load of new lenses just because they can.
So this is why Pentax have religiously maintained backward compatability for so long even with the KM?

Micro 4/3 and SLRs will coexist. If you have lenses already, buy an SLR. The whole idea of buying a micro camera and then using huge clunky SLR lenses is daft.

If you dont have lenses, then micro cameras are an option, and using an open mount standard means you can buy cameras and lenses from ANY micro 4/3 manufacturer in combination. Imagine - Pentax make some micro pancakes and you can use them on your Oly camera. This will really create an open market where Oly, Panny, Leica, Pentax and perhaps Sigma can combine forces to wallop Nikon and Canon all over the shop. Imagine - Leica lenses on your Pentax. Mmmmm.
09-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #22
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
A DA lens on a full manual K mount will work wide open only: the diapraghm is opened when mounting the lens.
That's half correct. When you fire the shutter it will close down to the minimum aperture, say f22/f32/f45. It doesn't know what F to stop at.

09-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
So this is why Pentax have religiously maintained backward compatability for so long even with the KM?

Micro 4/3 and SLRs will coexist. If you have lenses already, buy an SLR. The whole idea of buying a micro camera and then using huge clunky SLR lenses is daft.

If you dont have lenses, then micro cameras are an option, and using an open mount standard means you can buy cameras and lenses from ANY micro 4/3 manufacturer in combination. Imagine - Pentax make some micro pancakes and you can use them on your Oly camera. This will really create an open market where Oly, Panny, Leica, Pentax and perhaps Sigma can combine forces to wallop Nikon and Canon all over the shop. Imagine - Leica lenses on your Pentax. Mmmmm.
Interesting points there about the mixed manufacturers for an open standard. Of course it's happening already, but more manufacturers would definitely give informed buyers more scope to build the system that suited them. If Pentax would get in on it with their own lenses, that would certainly be something exciting.

Micro 4/3 compact fitted with SMC Pentax 20mm Limited pancake lens, anyone?
09-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #24
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

funny...
09-30-2008, 09:00 AM   #25
Banned

why is that funny?
09-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
why is that funny?
it seems that it will be easier to find UBL than to understand who owns Tokina... may I suggest a waterboarding next time Iue will be within our reach.
09-30-2008, 09:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Micro 4/3 and SLRs will coexist.
I, for one, don't like the idea of joining micro 4/3 one bit !
If they want to go the hybrid / EVIL route, stick with APS-C and get their own mount, with or without Samsung.

Announcing a plan to go with micro 4/3 would be a devastating blow to existing Pentax users, as it would mean a practical abandonment of K mount, and a slow transformation to a 3rd party lens manufacturer. There would be no incentive for any Pentax users to stick with Pentax for the hybrid.

QuoteQuote:
This will really create an open market where Oly, Panny, Leica, Pentax and perhaps Sigma can combine forces to wallop Nikon and Canon all over the shop. Imagine - Leica lenses on your Pentax. Mmmmm.
Not going to happen with 4/3 sensor. I believe APS-C is the best compromise in terms of price, performance and camera size; and going with 4/3 would be a wrong and unnecessary move. I don't care if there is the best lens in the world, when the IQ of the sensor is not there.
09-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #28
Banned

developing a m4/3's camera doesn't mean that they have to abandon K mount SLR's or the K mount in general. they didn't abandon the K mount when they released the Auto 110 did they? No. in fact they could even use the same 110 bayonet mount on a new m4/3's camera. better yet a new auto 110! going into the m4/3's system could be a huge thing for pentax, as I see this replacing the P&S system in the not too distant future.

having a micro 4/3, APS-C and MF could cover all the ground.

I love SLR's I truly do, but despite that, having a camera that is simpler, quiter. smaller, and more discreet would make a great street camera if its done right. though I dont think I could use an EVF. I think this is as close to a rangefinder that Pentax would ever get.
09-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
Remember a lesson from Dilbert: just cause marketing says they can do something doesn't mean the engineers know about it yet
Ah, that's officially my nugget of wisdom for the day. Good one.

It's still comforting to know that Hoya is at least looking at plotting a course for Pentax. And I really do think the 645D is only a couple tweaks away from being ready to be marketed. A big waste of R&D resources if Hoya will eventually choose to shelve it altogether, much more so since MF is a realm still left untouched by the usual DSLR makers.
09-30-2008, 10:08 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
developing a m4/3's camera doesn't mean that they have to abandon K mount SLR's or the K mount in general. they didn't abandon the K mount when they released the Auto 110 did they?
That's totally different. Auto 110 has a Pentax mount! And it can only uses Pentax lenses! micro 4/3 does not.

QuoteQuote:
going into the m4/3's system could be a huge thing for pentax, as I see this replacing the P&S system in the not too distant future.
Hybrid would replace entry DSLR and will open up new market. That's for sure.
But not necessary micro 4/3! I can foresee that Canon and Nikon would continue its dominance in the hybrid / EVIL market in the future, and the rest scrambling for 3rd place. And I just don't see micro 4/3 is the solution. I much prefer a APS-C hybrid.

QuoteQuote:
having a micro 4/3, APS-C and MF could cover all the ground.
Having a hybrid APS-C, DSLR APS-C +/- MF would be much better for Pentax.