Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 928 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2019, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #751
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
This is why there are a ton of camera bodies out with different sizes and grip forms. You were trying to shoehorn me into something I told you specifically I didn't want. But you guys couldn't accept that.

What works for you doesn't work for everyone.
There are people other than you listening in to this discussion.
The purpose of my comments was to clarify that your objections could be overcome by anyone willing to use traditional technique that was routinely taught until the Canon T90.

I am glad that Pentax is about ready to release the DA* 11-18 .... it should provide a reason to hope that the K-3ii replacement will come also.

I'm going to sleep now.

Last edited by reh321; 02-02-2019 at 10:18 PM. Reason: I'm going to sleep
02-02-2019, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #752
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There are people other than you listening in to this discussion.
The purpose of my comments was to clarify that your objections could be overcome by anyone willing to use traditional technique that was routinely taught until the Canon T90.

I am glad that Pentax is about ready to release the DA* 11-18 .... it should provide a reason to hope that the K-3ii replacement will come also.

I'm going to sleep now.
I hope your dreams are peasant and in color - so you can see da *’s and gold rings

FWIW I hope this lens is a killer - a huge success for Pentax. When the stock of 16-50 and 50-135 run out I hope they re-release them with 11-18 standards so APSc shooters have a Holy Trinity equivalent to match the APSc Professional camera. Imagine Pentax with a complete set of fast zooms, Limiteds and a Flagship camera in both formats!! And APSc will have all * zooms.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-02-2019 at 10:35 PM.
02-02-2019, 11:15 PM - 5 Likes   #753
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay mee, let's put it to rest now. The KP is not what you want to buy for a camera body, regardless of whether it is tried or not. That's fine. No need to keep trying to justify your stance. Others, the KP is certainly a great crop camera, and some people will not consider it on the basis of written specs/measurements rather than a test drive, so if after expressing objective experiences with the camera there remains disagreement, it's time to let it go... before I break out in song with Let It Go...

This thread is really supposed to be about the DA* 11-18, not about "Why I won't buy a KP"...

Last edited by Ash; 02-02-2019 at 11:44 PM. Reason: name removal
02-02-2019, 11:19 PM   #754
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Most probably yes. Looking through the lens, I see the future of Pentax with an new apsc camera with superior autofocus performance to pair with the DFA 150-450, simply because 450mm is too short for wildlife on full frame. Also, there isn't a whole lot of new lenses to redo for apsc. One can use a 3 lens setup for apsc: the 11-18, the 28-105 (small) and the 150-450 on apsc body, the next 70-200 f4 would also be usable on apsc. If things unfold the way I describe, it'll be all good for us customers.

---------- Post added 03-02-19 at 07:23 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Imagine Pentax with a complete set of fast zooms, Limiteds and a Flagship camera in both formats!! And APSc will have all * zooms.
Sure, an apsc line with star zooms and small primes is the dream renewed. It was already that way in the past (DA* 16-50 etc.), except the glass was excellent but the af motor reliability crippled it. I definitely look forward to Star glass, because for me, star* glass of Pentax is what differentiate Pentax from others.

02-03-2019, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #755

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
because for me, star* glass of Pentax is what differentiate Pentax from others.
For me this is the Limited Lenses.
02-03-2019, 01:39 AM   #756
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

This is why there are a ton of camera bodies out with different sizes and grip forms. You were trying to shoehorn me into something I told you specifically I didn't want. But you guys couldn't accept that. Clackers even went a step further to call it:

What works for you doesn't work for everyone.
Mee, but you don't even own a Buick of any type, right? My mistake, Pentax.

You are free to choose another product, shoot without a strap, with a death grip on the right hand, with a UV filter in front of your lens, in Ken Rockwell 'P' for 'Professional' mode, with the lens hood on facing backwards, your funeral, just don't expect me to join you.
02-03-2019, 01:57 AM - 6 Likes   #757
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks - @mee has stated his opinions, and those who've responded have made their points.

Let's not beat a dead horse... As Ash requested, let's move on - and, if I might suggest, back to the main topic.

Thank you, all

02-03-2019, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #758
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As Ash requested, let's move on - and, if I might suggest, back to the main topic.
Anyone has the HD FA35 2 to show image quality compared to the original FA35 2 ? Are there some test charts that show how the FA 35 2 performs center / edges at each aperture?
The DA 35 2.4 is a lot cheaper, people have say it uses the same optical formula as the FA 35 2, but I've had the DA35 2.4 (sold with the K3 as kit), and wasn't very impressed by the DA35 2.4. So the question for me is how well the HD FA35 2 will perform on a K1 II.

Found here in pf: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/118765-da-...ny-photos.html

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-03-2019 at 03:52 AM.
02-03-2019, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #759
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyone has the HD FA35 2 to show image quality compared to the original FA35 2 ? Are there some test charts that show how the FA 35 2 performs center / edges at each aperture?
The DA 35 2.4 is a lot cheaper, people have say it uses the same optical formula as the FA 35 2, but I've had the DA35 2.4 (sold with the K3 as kit), and wasn't very impressed by the DA35 2.4. So the question for me is how well the HD FA35 2 will perform on a K1 II.

Found here in pf: DA 35mm/2.4 - A Plastic Wonder! -- DAL35 vs FA35 vs DA35m vs A35 (many photos!) - PentaxForums.com
I imagine the FA 35 and HD FA 35 will perform similarly, but the HD version will have a bit more contrast and flare less when shooting strong light sources. If you weren't satisfied with the borders with the original version, I doubt the updated one will make you much happier.

If you want this focal length and don't want the FA 31, I would suggest the Sigma 35 f1.4 which seems respected by most folks out there.
02-03-2019, 05:39 AM   #760
Pentaxian

Found here in pf: DA 35mm/2.4 - A Plastic Wonder! -- DAL35 vs FA35 vs DA35m vs A35 (many photos!) - PentaxForums.com
Last year I purchased a FA 28-105, partly to use with my K-30 as is developed Dark Image Syndrome, and partly to be available if I ever got a 'FF' camera - then I discovered it is attributed to Jun Hirakawa(!!), so I wouldn't expect corner-to-corner sharpness, but I would expect other good attributes. According to the PF Reviews, the FA 35 dates back to 1999, so I wouldn't expect corner-to-corner sharpness from it either, but I wouldn't expect to be disappointed by it either.
02-03-2019, 05:46 AM   #761
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

wasn't very impressed by the DA35 2.4
I had a brief fling with this plastic fantastic, and I must say it performed brilliantly on my K-5 and K-5 Its.
So sharp and colours popped. Plenty of micro contrast detail. But then, the 31 was just beckoning to be used again and I just couldn't ignore it any longer.
02-03-2019, 05:46 AM   #762
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a brief fling with this plastic fantastic, and I must say it performed brilliantly on my K-5 and K-5 Its.
So sharp and colours popped. Plenty of micro contrast detail. But then, the 31 was just beckoning to be used again and I just couldn't ignore it any longer.
02-03-2019, 05:57 AM   #763
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I have the DA35 f/2.4, and also the HD DA35 f/2.8 Macro Limited.

Personally, I get on just great with the f/2.4 plastic fantastic on my K-3. I actually prefer the transitions from in-focus to out-of-focus areas to those on the f/2.8 Macro, but I suspect this is as a result of the latter's macro-oriented design. I do, however, find myself tweaking the f/2.4's shots a little more in post-processing to give it a bit more punch, whereas the Macro (perhaps because of the HD coatings) needs very little work.

Depending on the performance, rendering and tonal reproduction of the HD FA35 f/2, I may end up selling the f/2.4... Although for what it cost me and what I'd get back for it, I'll probably leave it attached to one of my GX-10 bodies...
02-03-2019, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #764
Veteran Member

Ah okay. I appreciate that and apologies to you that I misunderstand what you were saying. The wrist strap would indeed be a suitable choice in my situation.
And BEFORE the wrist strap suggestion & while writing my post you quoted just now, I thought you were talking about holding the camera while taking pictures... reh described a standard technique you wrote sometimes requires doilies and salad forks (dainty) and is unsuitable for running and etc. Since he was talking about taking pics at that time, I thought you were as well. I later decided your comments were about holding the camera during non-pic-taking activities... whole different container of fish.........

---------- Post added 02-03-19 at 09:17 AM ----------

Ah okay. I appreciate that and apologies to you that I misunderstand what you were saying. The wrist strap would indeed be a suitable choice in my situation.
[trying to remove some weird double post after fixing screwed up HTML tags... ]

There are some goats loose, I think.
Goat rodeo is a fun term I like to use for mare's nest or whatever else describes confusion and/or frantic activity. I don't think there is a rodeo but there is a goat or two of misunderstanding and misinterpretation loose in the room :^)

---------- Post added 02-03-19 at 09:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
My problem with the KP form factor is grip depth, ... the fat little grips with shallow depth look as if you don't have enough grip depth and it might make you hold the camera with a "clamping" hold rather than wrapping the fingers around the grip for good camera support.

My assumptions could be wrong.
No, they aren't wrong
Pinch grip is what it is called
It is not as strong and not as comfortable. Longer fingers may not wrap comfortably around even the fat KP grip and so finger tips will bear the load keeping the camera in hand and off the ground.

Not directed at your post now, but there have been a handful of ways to accommodate the smaller grip size when not taking pictures : slings, clips, put it in the bag, hold lens barrel, hand it to your assistant. Of course, two hands when taking pictures makes the smaller grips not so troublesome. The KP design is different from other Pentax cameras but not so different from some cameras from other manufacturers... I'm not sure I would like KP design v. the now typical dSLR design and, more so than the grips, I am wary of the locations for the shutter button and front command dial.

---------- Post added 02-03-19 at 09:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Most who complain about the KP has never even seen one in person as far as I'm aware.
"try before you buy" usually a pretty safe argument to make. In America, it isn't really a practical argument. Most of the people here know it isn't very easy to see Pentax cameras before buying so people are left with comparing Pentax cameras to other cameras they are able to see/hold/use. For instance, I know I do not prefer shutter button on body of other cameras I own so I will make a leap I will not prefer it on KP and suggesting that this is simply because I haven't ever seen one isn't practically helpful...

In America, my choices are :
1) live (fairly) close to someone who has the camera and who will let me take a look
2) order from on-line to take a look knowing I am going to send the camera back...*
3) travel outside the country **

* I don't do this because I think it is wrong.
** If I am going to pay for travel to New York B&H, I prefer to bundle that money with other and go somewhere interesting.. I have visited camera stores in other countries to see a Pentax display but that wasn't my only reason for visiting the country as it would be my only reason for visiting New York :^)

Last edited by Tan68; 02-03-2019 at 08:53 AM.
02-03-2019, 10:00 AM   #765
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you want this focal length and don't want the FA 31, I would suggest the Sigma 35 f1.4 which seems respected by most folks out there.
Thanks for the insight. My interest of the FA 35 (or DA40) is the size, because [long story short], I can fit the K1 with battery grip vertically in the bag and this is something that is not possible with any of the zooms. The only prime I currently have is the SMC M50 1.7, it fits in the bag, nice for traveling. I wouldn't be interesting in the sigma, because it would be almost as large a one of my zooms.