Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2019, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #961
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Photos: Albums
Posts: 97
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What? No fitbit?
What? No apple watch?

How do you know how many steps you're walked and how many calories you've burned?
But neither of these count handholding a K1 with the 150-450 as "exercise" :-)

02-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #962
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
acoufap's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Munich, Germany
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,607
QuoteOriginally posted by nu_llpo Quote
I do not have them.
I do not have them, but the newer seems better
Yaotomi Camera's | HD PENTAX-DA * 11-18mm F2.8 ED DC AW Review
Nice to see some FF comparison images in the review! Seems to be the kind of lens I hoped for. Thank you for the link!

Last edited by acoufap; 02-12-2019 at 11:15 AM.
02-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #963
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,941
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I drove through the mid west once. No offense to Indiana but when I got there the first big sign on the freeway said St Louis 500 miles. It was pretty much 500 miles of corn by the time we got there. :^)
The other noteworthy sign is ‘Last Chance Gas’ just after you cross the Wabash River at Evansville into eastern Illinois. There’s nothing between the Wabash River on the east and the Mississippi River on the west at St. Louis.
02-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #964
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,358
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I drove through the mid west once. No offense to Indiana but when I got there the first big sign on the freeway said St Louis 500 miles. It was pretty much 500 miles of corn by the time we got there. :^)
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The other noteworthy sign is ‘Last Chance Gas’ just after you cross the Wabash River at Evansville into eastern Illinois. There’s nothing between the Wabash River on the east and the Mississippi River on the west at St. Louis.
Yes, population in the Midwest can be delightfully sparse. We lived in Kansas once in a county half the area of the state of Rhode Island but had a total population of under 10K. Some of us like that. When we lived in western Massachusetts, the relatively sparsely populated part of the state, I felt the continual crush of people. Even a local fair would attract a crush of people that reminded me of what the Indy 500 attracts.


Last edited by reh321; 02-12-2019 at 11:51 AM.
02-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #965
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 580
QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
HD PENTAX DA*11-18 trial shots | nu llpo | FlickrOn this one, the edges looks very blured, I hope this is just because the focus is at infiny instead of hyperfocal.
It's f/5.6 at 11mm. Looks like a little field curvature and distortion. To be expected with a lens like this.

At f/8- f/11 with proper focusing I would expect that scene to be edge to edge sharp but still have distortion (to be corrected in camera or in post)

Focusing at hyperfocal with lenses that have field curvature is asking for weak edges.

Have to focus further into the scene. Or focus at the edges (manual focus with punch zoom) then check the center is still sharp, if not adjust to get even sharpness across the frame.
02-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #966
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,052
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, population in the Midwest can be delightfully sparse. We lived in Kansas once in a county half the area of the state of Rhode Island but had a total population of under 10K. Some of us like that. When we lived in western Massachusetts, the relatively sparsely populated part of the state, I felt the continual crush of people. Even a local fair would attract a crush of people that reminded me of what the Indy 500 attracts.
I grew up in a small town in South Jersey with a cornfield in my backyard used by the local Dairy Farmer so I felt right at home passing through Indiana.
02-13-2019, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #967
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 580
.....
Attached Images
 
02-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #968
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 149
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
It's f/5.6 at 11mm. Looks like a little field curvature and distortion. To be expected with a lens like this.

At f/8- f/11 with proper focusing I would expect that scene to be edge to edge sharp but still have distortion (to be corrected in camera or in post)

Focusing at hyperfocal with lenses that have field curvature is asking for weak edges.

Have to focus further into the scene. Or focus at the edges (manual focus with punch zoom) then check the center is still sharp, if not adjust to get even sharpness across the frame.
There is no field curvature problem with 12-24 and you can have the entire scene in focus without any trick. Hyperfocal works as expected with 12-24, so I expect a lens twice as expensive to have field curvature corrected and to focus property in every situation.

02-13-2019, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #969
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,358
QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
There is no field curvature problem with 12-24 and you can have the entire scene in focus without any trick. Hyperfocal works as expected with 12-24, so I expect a lens twice as expensive to have field curvature corrected and to focus property in every situation.
If you already have the DA 12-24, and it works better than the DA* 11-18, I guess you'll save a lot of money not purchasing the DA* 11-18.
02-13-2019, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #970
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,507
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
It's f/5.6 at 11mm. Looks like a little field curvature and distortion. To be expected with a lens like this.
Thanks for posting the MTF curves, Caliscouser.

You can see both the 11-18 and 12-24 actually have very little field curvature.

And that the 11-18 is a lot better, it's what being twice the size and cost gets you.



02-17-2019, 02:59 AM   #971
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,233
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

And that the 11-18 is a lot better, it's what being twice the size and cost gets you.
I don't see that it's a lot better in terms of resolution....Slightly - yes
02-17-2019, 03:28 AM - 3 Likes   #972
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,507
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't see that it's a lot better in terms of resolution....Slightly - yes
?


Comparing 11mm f4 to 12mm f4, which is the most direct possible from these graphs, the Sagitall contrast is 90 vs 80 at the edge, and the same microcontrast (probably represents best what you mean by 'resolution' - fine detail) is about 45 versus about 25. 15-20 might be considered the lowest acceptable score.

That the SvM track so closely means astigmatism is really minimized, so it should mean superior bokeh and is also an exciting prospect as an Astro lens … helped that it is also f2.8, not f4.

Now, the 12-24 … I own it. And it's such a good lens I've used it on the K-1. But the DA* is clearly better.

Last edited by clackers; 02-17-2019 at 03:37 AM.
02-17-2019, 03:57 AM - 2 Likes   #973
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,609
I'll do my best to let you all know how it fares vs the DFA15-30/K-1 in a couple of weeks....
02-17-2019, 05:19 AM   #974
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,233
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
?


Comparing 11mm f4 to 12mm f4, which is the most direct possible from these graphs, the Sagitall contrast is 90 vs 80 at the edge, and the same microcontrast (probably represents best what you mean by 'resolution' - fine detail) is about 45 versus about 25. 15-20 might be considered the lowest acceptable score.
.
No sense to compare 11 mm with 12 mm and 18 mm with 24 mm focal length. It's some kind of trick.
1 mm is serious difference for ultra-wide angle lenses.
I hope we will see direct comparison in review here (at PF) at 12-18 mm range.It will be honest.

I think the difference will be very low, especially, at centre.
02-17-2019, 06:53 AM - 3 Likes   #975
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
Here's a report on the DA*11-18 with several samples from Yatomi Camera. As usual with this site, when you see a small thumbnail to the right, you can click it for a 100% image.

?????? HD PENTAX-DA?11-18mmF2.8ED DC AW ???????? ? ?? ??????? - ????

Last edited by JPT; 02-17-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
35mm, 35mm f2, announcement, blades, care, coatings, drive, f2, fa, fa35, hd, image, lens, lenses, mind, motor, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pm, possibility, post, production, rumor, screw, screw drive lenses, stock, tech
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caption Contest January 1st to January 7th bertwert Weekly Photo Challenges 14 01-08-2019 07:59 AM
Caption Contest January 05 2017 .. January 11 2017 Fraggle79 Weekly Photo Challenges 20 01-17-2017 12:09 PM
Happy 11.11.11 11:11:11 m8o General Talk 10 11-12-2011 08:17 PM
Nature Mellow Yellow Revamped eaglem Post Your Photos! 2 02-16-2011 09:18 PM
Revamped building JFMichaud Post Your Photos! 5 01-24-2009 11:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:32 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top