Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #1036
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Slighty off topic here (but on topic hue hue hue), I was really hoping (by now) some HD FA 35/2 comparison shots/review vs its predecessor and possibly pitched against the FA31 which I'm sure many of you might agree is a choice contender if looking for a prime around this focal length. Did I miss it, has someone started a HD FA35/2 thread/review?
There have been a few comparisons in Japanese print magazines and they all show better flare characteristics.

For comparisons you can view online, there isn't much but this one shows side-by-side shots with the old and new FA35.
?PENTAX?FA35mmF2??? | THE MAP TIMES

There are some more samples on these pages, but not comparisons with other lenses.
RICOH IMAGING (?????????) HD PENTAX-FA 35mmF2 ???? | ??????????
PENTAX???????? HD PENTAX-FA35mmF2 ?????? | ???????
https://www.biccamera.com/bc/i/blog/photostyle/pentax/hdpentaxfa35mmf2.jsp
?????? HD PENTAX-FA35mm F2 ???????? ? ?? ??????????? - ????

Hope that helps a little.

10-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #1037
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Going one step further, one could suppose that an ambitious lens like the HD Pentax-D FA★ 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW wouldn't have been developed at all in the absence of the incremental return on investment provided by the Tokina version.
Obvious to me.

Remember at a (not sure which one anymore) trade show, it is a Tokina employee who spilled the beans about a Pentax Full Frame. Supposedly they know because they were both collaborating on new FF lenses.

It seems the guy was indeed spot on.
10-14-2019, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #1038
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Obvious to me.

Remember at a (not sure which one anymore) trade show, it is a Tokina employee who spilled the beans about a Pentax Full Frame. Supposedly they know because they were both collaborating on new FF lenses.

It seems the guy was indeed spot on.
It was at CP+ 2013:

Tokina Confirms Pentax Full-frame Under Development - CP+ 2013 | PentaxForums.com
QuoteOriginally posted by Angela Erika Kubo, Pentax Forums:
A Tokina employee revealed to us today at CP+ that Tokina has renewed their discussions with Pentax about reviving their lens collaboration as of late last year.

According to the employee, Pentax is reportedly developing a full-frame camera (he claims that a prototype already exists). He stated that all lenses developed will be re-branded under the Pentax name as it had been done in the past.

Talks had previously stalled after the Ricoh takeover in 2011, but Pentax has requested that Tokina still show new lens designs for possible collaboration. However, no Tokina prototype lenses have been made for the Pentax full-frame yet, and no deals have been finalized.
The guy was spot on concerning the development of the K-1 but things went the other way around concerning the development of new lenses:

'all lenses developed will be re-branded under the Pentax name' --> one lens developed has been re-branded under the Tokina name.

May be Ricoh weren't happy with the new lens designs shown by Tokina for possible collaboration.
10-14-2019, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #1039
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Huh, that's strange. The Pentax was tested on a K-1 II, the Tokina on a Nikon D810.

The Tokina measured as having higher center sharpness, the Pentax more even across the frame.

Tokina measured as having lower CA.
It's the beauty of the Nikon RAW that applies baked in CA reduction 😉

10-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #1040
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there an option to turn off lens corrections in Nikon’s raw bakery?
10-14-2019, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #1041
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Is there an option to turn off lens corrections in Nikonís raw bakery?
Nikon may do RAW adjustments to their own lenses, but they certainly aren't doing them to Tokina's third party lens.
10-14-2019, 01:59 PM   #1042
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Nikon may do RAW adjustments to their own lenses, but they certainly aren't doing them to Tokina's third party lens.
If lens-specific, highly unlikely indeed.
10-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #1043
Pentaxian

It was at CP+ 2013:

Tokina Confirms Pentax Full-frame Under Development - CP+ 2013 | PentaxForums.com

'all lenses developed will be re-branded under the Pentax name' --> one lens developed has been re-branded under the Tokina name.

May be Ricoh weren't happy with ththeire new lens designs shown by Tokina for possible collaboration.
Indeed, I did not remember it that way.

10-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #1044
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There have been a few comparisons in Japanese print magazines and they all show better flare characteristics.

For comparisons you can view online, there isn't much but this one shows side-by-side shots with the old and new FA35.
?PENTAX?FA35mmF2??? | THE MAP TIMES

There are some more samples on these pages, but not comparisons with other lenses.
RICOH IMAGING (?????????) HD PENTAX-FA 35mmF2 ???? | ??????????
PENTAX???????? HD PENTAX-FA35mmF2 ?????? | ???????
https://www.biccamera.com/bc/i/blog/photostyle/pentax/hdpentaxfa35mmf2.jsp
?????? HD PENTAX-FA35mm F2 ???????? ? ?? ??????????? - ????

Hope that helps a little.
Wow that first link shows some dramatic difference. PF and flare. I didn't expect the HD to make that much of a difference.
10-14-2019, 11:55 PM   #1045
Pentaxian

Amusing tweet from Nokishita Camera: Twitter

Translation: 'The next lens released by Tokina seems to be an ultra-wide-angle zoom for APS-C SLR. (11-16mm or 11-20mm renewal?)'

The Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX dates back to 2007, the Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II to 2012 and the Tokina AT-X Pro 11-20mm f/2.8 DX to 2015.

Will this new Tokina lens continue the cooperation between Ricoh and Tokina, i.e. be a Tokina-badged version of the HD Pentax-DA★ 11-18mm f/2.8 ED DC AW like the Tokina opera 50mm f/1.4 is a rebadged HD Pentax-D FA★ 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW?
No, it won't. According to Nokishita Camera its name is atx-i 11-16mm F2.8 CF.

Source: Twitter