Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 928 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2019, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Sure. I would prefer if the lens did not look like a FA 35 from external design standpoint and screw drive AF. That said, the FA35 2 is great optically. Not sure if the new 28-105 was reusing an old recipe but all I can say is the 28-105 is great. This morning I stopped by a shop and tried a Z6 for a moment. My conclusion: yes it's nice, it's modern, and last but not least it brings no advantage to my K1. Modern new tech is exciting because it's new, after which point the benefit over DSLR tech fades away. One thing I notice with the Z6 is some discomfort due jello / rolling shutter effect in EVF when panning for framing, which I don't experience with my K1: the K1 doesn't look as modern as the Z6, but the K1 gives me astrotracer, better tilt screen and better detail. So, the fight is "excitement of modern" against "functionality of the old".
The choice Pentax has right now is not about screw drive or not screw drive, it's about updating a lens line up to modern standards. It's not a big enough company to do from scratch designs of everything in the catalogue. SO even filling out the catalogue with a few screw drive lenses makes sense. But given the job they dd on the DFA 50 1.4, there's bound to be some lunch bag letdown if new screw drive lenses are released. It's understandable, but not really practical in the world of Pentax.

01-29-2019, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My screw drive lenses don't care that it's not 1980. They still act like they know what they're doing.
I think I have been called to reply to this. Probably You haven't photographed any situation, when silent AF is needed, for example a wedding, theathre and cetera. Of course, You can have any screw drive lens You want but You don't change the fact that is ancient tech in terms of modern technology.

---------- Post added 01-29-19 at 03:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
mirror tech is even older...........................
You are comparing apples to oranges
01-29-2019, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #48

I'm not sure if this 35 is what it seems to be. Or at least i don't want to believe this info.
Pentax not WR? 2019 lens using screwdrive? Where is this going?
01-29-2019, 07:52 AM - 4 Likes   #49
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No way, they'd need to change the barel.
I'm ok with that. Better than having your camera sound like a black and decker cordless drill when autofocusing imo.

01-29-2019, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If its a re=released older lens it's going to be screw drive, like the DFA 100 macro WR is 2009, the Pentax DA 55-300 ED WR was 2013, I'm just trying to think of the most recently released screw drive lenses. The DA 18-50 came out in 2015. I can find no screw drive releases after 2015.

Meanwhile the DA*200, an upgrade from the FA 200 ƒ4.5 was SDM in 2008.

The DA 55-300 has been upgraded to KAF4 and PLM,

There's not much evidence suggesting it will be screw drive... but hey, I guess it could happen. But it is a very pessimistic point of view. The last I can find was 2015, that's going on 4 years ago now.
The latest screw drive lens in Pentax K mount announced by Ricoh Imaging was the HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8ED WR (October 2013). The DA and DA L 18-50mm f/4-5.6 from 2015 are DC lenses.

The latest screw drive lens announced by Ricoh Imaging was the HD Pentax-D FA 645 35mm f/3.5 AL [IF] (November 2015), another revamped lens.
01-29-2019, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
mirror tech is even older...........................
Mirrorless is older than that...
People were putting loupes on ground glass for decades before reflex cameras

-Eric
01-29-2019, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
(...)

Hopefully they added a motor.
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No way, they'd need to change the barel.
In addition, there isn't anything in the lens's designation suggesting an in-lens motor (no DC, PLM or SDM). Plus there is the precedent of the HD Pentax-D FA 645 35mm f/3.5 AL [IF] from 2015.

A tiny bit of hope though: the lens is oddly designated as Pentax-FA, not Pentax-D FA, so may be the name as reported by Nokishita Camera is incomplete. This being two days before the actual announcement date, I'm a bit sceptical but one never knows...

01-29-2019, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
In addition, there isn't anything in the lens's designation suggesting an in-lens motor (no DC, PLM or SDM). Plus there is the precedent of the HD Pentax-D FA 645 35mm f/3.5 AL [IF] from 2015.

A tiny bit of hope though: the lens is oddly designated as Pentax-FA, not Pentax-D FA, so may be the name as reported by Nokishita Camera is incomplete. This being two days before the actual announcement date, I'm a bit sceptical but one never knows...
On the other side being not "HD D-FA", may be indicator that it was not optically optimized for digital cameras but simply reworked into newer housing+coatings. But we will soon know more
01-29-2019, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
More likely the new hood have a filter window. You can see a part of it on that picture above.
The hood of the current smc Pentax-FA 35mm f/2 AL has one too, see the picture below:

Source: FA 35/2 AL | The K-Mount Page
01-29-2019, 09:09 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like Ricoh is simply updating and trying to unified the looks of products and probably trying to have as many lenses using the same parts.

Updating it with a motor would really make it very interesting and better than the DA 35/2.4. A true upgrade. Because so far, not much is different between the DA and FA (aperture, Dof scale, and that's pretty much it).
01-29-2019, 09:11 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
On the other side being not "HD D-FA", may be indicator that it was not optically optimized for digital cameras but simply reworked into newer housing+coatings. But we will soon know more
Indeed but so was the HD Pentax-D FA 645 35mm f/3.5 AL [IF], which is labelled as D FA 645 and not FA 645.
01-29-2019, 09:22 AM - 4 Likes   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I see the DFA 35 as being targeted at the folks who want a little cheaper lenses but still want to shoot full frame. The same folks who are currently purchasing older 50mm lenses rather than the newest DFA *50. Personally, I own the FA 31, so not really the target for it, but if it is priced reasonably, it should do well. Pentaxians are used to screw drive noise and honestly, with the K-1 it isn't annoying at all.

I do hope they put quick shift in it and rounded the aperture blades. That with the new coatings would make it a worthwhile investment over the current FA 35.
01-29-2019, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess I see the DFA 35 as being targeted at the folks who want a little cheaper lenses but still want to shoot full frame. The same folks who are currently purchasing older 50mm lenses rather than the newest DFA *50. Personally, I own the FA 31, so not really the target for it, but if it is priced reasonably, it should do well. Pentaxians are used to screw drive noise and honestly, with the K-1 it isn't annoying at all.

I do hope they put quick shift in it and rounded the aperture blades. That with the new coatings would make it a worthwhile investment over the current FA 35.
The focus ring looks a bit different, could that be a hint for quick shift?
01-29-2019, 09:31 AM - 2 Likes   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am amazed at the information people have gotten out of a lens name and photo on a rumor blog. It could be totally correct or way off base. Speculation is fun, but I'm surprised no other hints have appeared yet. Where are the leakers?
01-29-2019, 09:32 AM - 2 Likes   #60
Pentaxian

all new/revamped lenses are good news, especially unannounced! my guess is they added quick shift since there is now grip for focusing. this is a mid-range lens, the dfa* will come with all the expensive lettering (dc/aw/etc) later. screw drive on a compact short throw lens works fine... you're probably not going to gain a lot of speed by switching to dc as you would on a zoom. perhaps they found a way to make it more quiet.