Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 928 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2019, 12:04 PM   #226
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 5r82 Quote
From where did you parachute into the conversation? It's not mirrorless vs. DSLR discussion. I said full frame. A7 is the cheapest one. You don't have to pay 2000$ to use full frame any more. if you want to use digital full frame camera and not analog one, this is the cheapest. You can use other lenses with it, either in AF mode or manual, depending on the adapters. Well, using adapters is quite common even for Pentaxians, they love adapters. How to use all those M42 lenses then, all those great Takumars, ha?
Wasn't all the talk about about using lenses via adapters talk about using current lenses on Sony MILC???... about switching from Pentax DSLR to Sony MILC???

Last edited by reh321; 01-30-2019 at 12:15 PM.
01-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #227
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a suspicion that some of the price increases are due to scarcity of the old ones.

Of course, once the new one is released, there’s a good chance those prices will fall as the new one shows up in stock...

-Eric
01-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #228
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The DA35 2.4 is using the same optical formula, and is a lot cheaper. Here in EU, the FA35 2 was priced around 350 Euros a couple of years ago , and is now priced 600 Euros, that's super expensive.
If I would re-release such FA 35 lens, I'd be putting it into a ltd quality metal body, and obviously it's not done because it shouldn't compete with the now priced Euro 1500 FA 31ltd. Too expensive for what it is , for me.
That is true, and I really wonder why these 2 lenses are so much more expensive than anywhere else. I ended up buying both second hand. I'd say that 400 for revamped HD FA 35 would be okay.
01-30-2019, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #229
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I remember very well when Pentax (under Hoya) released the DA limited series (DA15, DA21, DA35 macro, DA40, DA70) , it really nice small high quality built high contrast tiny primes. At that time, Pentax was the only brand offering such classy tiny limited primes for apsc. When I see the kind of primes Ricoh are now pushing for the K1, it's kinda pushing me back to the apsc line (KP + the DA limited), except if I would do it wouldn't be a KP, it would be Fuji. At the moment I don't understand the Pentax way anymore.

01-30-2019, 12:26 PM - 2 Likes   #230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
OK where's the obvious 31 ltd. vs 35 ƒ2 discussion?
It's a good question. If they're updating an old 30-something mm lens with new coatings, why not make it the semi-legendary 31mm instead of the 35mm f/2? One reason might be that the updated 31mm would be almost $1000 new. Maybe they're throwing a bone to people who are having problems with everything new and full frame costing a grand or two.

Edit: Actually the 31mm currently sells for $1000 new. An updated version would probably be $1200+.

Last edited by ThorSanchez; 01-30-2019 at 12:53 PM.
01-30-2019, 12:29 PM   #231
Pentaxian

I remember very well when Pentax (under Hoya) released the DA limited series (DA15, DA21, DA35 macro, DA40, DA70) , it really nice small high quality built high contrast tiny primes. At that time, Pentax was the only brand offering such classy tiny limited primes for apsc. When I see the kind of primes Ricoh are now pushing for the K1, it's kinda pushing me back to the apsc line (KP + the DA limited), except if I would do it wouldn't be a KP, it would be Fuji. At the moment I don't understand the Pentax way anymore.
Certainly Petnax has lost it's way in terms of lgiht weight compact designs that are portable and top notch.

But with the 21, 40 XS, 31, 43, 77 100 macro etc. still in the catalogue, that is still there. The 55-300 PLM is great addition to APS-c portability with performance. I think it's more, they've been there, done that, with the K-1 and bigger lenses they are trying to branch out into a different market, with the same most as APS_c making them appeal to users of both formats. That for me is a big thing. Much of what I use on APS-c I also use on my K-1. But if you are going with one system, I guess you have to look at everything.
01-30-2019, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #232
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Certainly Pentax has lost it's way in terms of light weight compact designs that are portable and top notch.
Pentax designers have specifically said the KP was made small to be a natural mate to the 'Limited' lenses, but it was greeted by all kinds of complaints
1. no top LCD {small case => no room for LCD}
2. buffer too small
3. battery too small {small case => no room for D-Li190}
4. only one SD {small case => no room for two memory chips}
5. "too small for my hands"

With the exception of #2, which is a different concept, most users have rejected the compromises that accompany physically small; I'm guessing they would reject Fuji for the same reason. If you are equating small with 'Pentax way', most users seem to have rejected that, so Pentax had to rethink it.

added: Most users expect WR gear, which presumably also adds slightly to the size of everything.

Last edited by reh321; 01-30-2019 at 01:08 PM.
01-30-2019, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #233
Veteran Member

I hope this isn't the "surprise".
Kinda reminds me of the time Grandma "surprised" me with a birthday present when I was a teenager. It turned out to be an old pair of Grandpa's undies! Just freshly washed and ironed!
01-30-2019, 01:10 PM - 2 Likes   #234
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentax designers have specifically said the KP was made small to be a natural mate to the 'Limited' lenses, but it was greeted by all kinds of complaints
2. buffer too small

With the exception of #2, which is a different concept, most users have rejected the compromises that accompany physically small; I'm guessing they would reject Fuji for the same reason. If you are equating small with 'Pentax way', most users seem to have rejected that, so Pentax had to rethink it.
Speaking of #2, does anyone have a picture with the KP's mainboard?
I have a possible (until I see the board) explanation for the small buffer. Yep, you guessed it, is small case
More precisely, I'm guessing the KP might use a single RAM module. The K-3 and K-1 use 2, and even so they're limited by how much you can address with the PRIME/Milbeaut processor.

You can see here the K-r's mainboard; the CHIPSIP module is the RAM:
https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dcw/docs/519/765/035.jpg
01-30-2019, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
2. buffer too small

added: Most users expect WR gear, which presumably also adds slightly to the size of everything.
I think you can read too much into this. The KP may have been rejected not because it was small, but because it came as people were looking for an APS-C flagship follow-on. Many people complained that it did not have the features they expected in a flagship camera. I think it would have been viewed differently if it had been introduced explicitly as a model that slotted in as a travel/hiking/street camera below a new K-3iii.

I own a K-3ii in part because that was what was available as a step up from my then-broken K-30. But if a KP had been available I might have that instead.
01-30-2019, 01:41 PM - 3 Likes   #236
Pentaxian

there is on completelly new lens, 11-18 *. then there is this revamped HD FA 35/2, which is tome good lens just improved(cheap good option, instead of plastic fantastic). all of the sudden people are jumping to Fuji(not off the fuji-mountain-, yet), panic over grandmas undies, gathering that good old pentax is Doomed sign(roof is at fire). wow. forgot to buy popcorn from the shop today, is something to regret now. almost seems that some has had bad mojo biulding for couple of months and now ->THIS<- HD FA 35 tipped that thing over...good night guys. there will be some new news coming, save some for those news too.

Edit: actually don’t save any of that for later. Do that thing now! I want to enjoy news not read all grief.
01-30-2019, 01:51 PM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
panic over grandmas undies,
It's just a joke mate. (BTW it was Grandpa's undies haha)
01-30-2019, 01:54 PM - 3 Likes   #238
Pentaxian

there is on completelly new lens, 11-18 *. then there is this revamped HD FA 35/2, which is tome good lens just improved(cheap good option, instead of plastic fantastic). all of the sudden people are jumping to Fuji(not off the fuji-mountain-, yet), panic over grandmas undies, gathering that good old pentax is Doomed sign(roof is at fire). wow. forgot to buy popcorn from the shop today, is something to regret now. almost seems that some has had bad mojo biulding for couple of months and now ->THIS<- HD FA 35 tipped that thing over...good night guys. there will be some new news coming, save some for those news too.

Edit: actually don’t save any of that for later. Do that thing now! I want to enjoy news not read all grief.
I wonder if they're more or less the same people for whom every announcement is such a "tipping point".
01-30-2019, 01:56 PM - 2 Likes   #239
Veteran Member

all of the sudden people are jumping to Fuji(not off the fuji-mountain-, yet)
I wouldn't jump to Fujifilm just yet. Their colours while lauded by reviewers are fake looking, ie, not true to life and their lenses are still quite large and some pretty heavy. I think m43's is better if you are looking to downsize.

The 11-18mm is welcome and the HD FA 35mm F2 is also welcome albeit pretty underwhelming. Really new lenses should be coming with built-in motors.

I have the FA 35 F2 already and have to admit new coatings are probably a good idea. It's colours are definitely old school compared to the DA primes. Rounded aperture blades if they've changed them would also be a good idea.
01-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #240
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Iif they've changed them would also be a good idea.
Good idea is to make only absolutely new lenses...