Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2019, 09:18 AM   #556
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
That is deep. I think this big picture is wrong. Flagship K-1 gets a plastic budget lens and crop system gets premium superwide. How 'bout 35/2 with quality of the new 50mm?
Maybe these lenses tell us where they are going - a less expensive FF camera and a serious K-3ii replacement.

Last edited by reh321; 02-01-2019 at 09:23 AM.
02-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #557
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Don't be sorry.... I've been hearing the L word for 50 years now, and it still doesn't cause a ripple in the pond.
You pay for "usually sharper than my RAW Pentax files."
Pentax owners pay for "often better" and collect the discount.

But seriously, get your camera calibrated....
It's disappointing that my K-1ii copy (an early model--3/2018--manufacture date) just can't get up to snuff. I've been a Pentax fan since my 100D (about 15 years) and grew up on the SLR format. I do like the Leica's for their speed and simplicity in framing shots, but they are not for faster paced activities. I have seen the potential of the K-1ii in the KP and will have to calibrate the former. I was not in any way denigrating Pentax by the way (I have a big investment in it presently), I just wish they gave more than the 2 lenses listed.

---------- Post added 02-01-19 at 09:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sure. But honestly, for all the hand wringing, there are plenty of 30-ish mm options for Pentax. Between the Sigma 35 f1.4, Pentax FA 31 limited, and now the HD FA 35 f2, you should be able to find something that works for you.

---------- Post added 02-01-19 at 08:33 AM ----------

I'm disappointed to hear that. I do wonder if you could post some photos (elsewhere) where the sharpness was lacking and get some input as to what could be going wrong. My experience with the K-1 has been that as long as my technique is good, the photos are excellent. It could be just have a bad copy, though...
I'm going to send it in to Precision and have them deal with it...
02-01-2019, 10:20 AM - 2 Likes   #558
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Flagship K-1 gets a plastic budget lens
They didn't get anything, just continued supply of an existing lens there's still surprising demand for.

It was not on the roadmap, it's not like the DFA* 35 f1.4, it's not a new product.

02-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #559
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Relative to Leica pricing and size of cameras, it will be interesting to see the market and reviewer reaction to the new Panasonic FF mirrorless camera, the S1R.
It's bigger and heavier than the K-1, and double the price. Even more than a D850. Not quite Leica prices, but very premium.
An interesting gamble on Panasonic's part.

02-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #560
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
You're an engineer, too, right? Does your brain think about things this way, and make you pull out Excel to guess about unanswerable questions?
I don't think the volume/price function would follow such a wide range. There's likely a certain number of ILC owners/customer with price expectations for a short time window, so the sales would increase or decrease +-25% at most, volumes wouldn't double or triple if the price is lower than the average price people are willing to pay, simply because the price isn't the only factor for decision, there is also expectation of IQ, and willingness to carry the bulk of the camera/lens system. For example, even if there would be a 645z and lens for 3K, a few more people will buy and the rest will not like to carry that much gear around.

---------- Post added 01-02-19 at 18:54 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
Not quite Leica prices, but very premium.An interesting gamble on Panasonic's part.
They can always drop the price a bit when initial sales quantities will slow down, as they usually have time to improve production efficiency and reduces costs along the way. That said, the K1 II is price attractively (K1 is every cheaper), now I really like dynamic pixel shift on the K1 II.
02-01-2019, 11:01 AM   #561
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
There is absolutely no reason that a little speaker can't be hidden in a camera and that the little speaker can't make screw-drive noises.
Brilliant idea!
Just like the digital Yashica that mimics a cheap film camera, the Loud Photographer would not like it and he would go ape over how cheaply made the speaker is.

---------- Post added 02-01-19 at 12:09 PM ----------

Not quite Leica prices, but very premium.
I'm sure it will still be marketed as a Leica with Panasonic pricing.

As with any camera system, it eventually comes down to the glass. Will the vloggers spend the money to upgrade their lenses along with the new body (and mount)? At least with Canon and Nikon mirrorless, buyers only need a native adapter to keep using their lens collection.
02-01-2019, 11:10 AM   #562
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I concur. Bodies are almost comodities anyway...

Once upon a time, People were buying cheap yashica cams 'cos they could use Contax Lenses on it.

I dont get it, what's the problem ?
Are there different social classes for lenses and bodies and those shall not mix together ? C' mon...
This sounds alot like the "glass is forever" myth.

Neither bodies nor lenses is a commodity, and neither is "forever".
There is continual progress in each - a person can stay with one for awhile, or he can step up with each new improvement.

For example, on Black Friday I made two purchases - each replacing something, an improvement over what came before it;

I made each purchase assuming it may be the last of its kind {I am 71 now}
* KP body
* DA 55-300 PLM lens

02-01-2019, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #563
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Should I say that in many cases I feel star bursts are distractions especially when they come in crowds!? Mostly cutting. I had the opportunity to buy SMC DA15 or HD DA15 when the HD version hit the market. I decided to go with the HD version. For me star bursts have nothing to with quality. Some like it, others not - taste decides - and of course it’s a unique attribute therefore useful for marketing purposes.
I too bought the HD version, too many SMC 15 users trouncing the HD version but I don't want that SMC star burst in every photo, it's too in yer face all the time. You have more control with the starbursts on the HD version and I think they look nice anyway. I wasn't going to give up the HD coating either and choose an older technology.

---------- Post added 02-01-19 at 07:52 PM ----------

Relative to Leica pricing and size of cameras, it will be interesting to see the market and reviewer reaction to the new Panasonic FF mirrorless camera, the S1R.
It's bigger and heavier than the K-1, and double the price. Even more than a D850. Not quite Leica prices, but very premium.
An interesting gamble on Panasonic's part.
Why are all these TV, Video and hi-fi makers starting to make cameras? The only Sony I have is a 24 year old FM Tuner, I can't get it out my head this is what they do...

But I spose Lamborghini used to make tractors.

---------- Post added 02-01-19 at 08:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Where did you find the information that the FA35 was designed for ISO 800 film?
Not the lens, OK maybe some film like Velvia gets up to 16-18MP.

I was basically asking can the good legacy lenses like FA35 (ok a modern legacy) resolve 36MP, or was it designed just to outresolve the best film. Is it good enough for a K1 say using pixel shift?

I have an F* 300 f4.5 and it definitely outresolved a 16MP K-30.

It's maybe difficult or silly to try and compare, I don't want to get off topic.
02-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #564

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
Why are all these TV, Video and hi-fi makers starting to make cameras? The only Sony I have is a 24 year old FM Tuner, I can't get it out my head this is what they do...
Sony have literally been in the camera business for decades...
02-01-2019, 02:53 PM   #565
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like how a lens on the roadmap for a long time, and updated coatings to an existing lens that's always been popular with folks that like that focal length, cause another chaos thread.
02-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #566
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
Sony have literally been in the camera business for decades...
What kind of cameras?

More than two decades?
02-01-2019, 03:07 PM   #567
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Quick shift? Man, I think you're reaching with that one, all due respect. Maybe they felt like they couldn't pretend it was a digital lens so they just described it as it really is; the HD coatings and related treatment on an FA.

Would love this on a film camera.
I gathered the D always meant designed for digital.
This had to do with coatings to reduce reflections on glass sensor
Maybe design of barrel to reduce reflections...

I never thought it meant optical formula specifically designed for digital.
02-01-2019, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #568
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What kind of cameras?

More than two decades?
Sony's first DSLR wasn't released until 2006, but that followed the acquisition of Minolta's camera business which dates back much, much further. The heritage is obvious in Sony's A-mount, though, which is an updated version of the Minolta AF mount The SLT semi-translucent mirror models followed soon after, and then came the all-new E-mount. So, in terms of Sony's "serious" camera heritage, you really have to include Minolta...
02-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #569
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
It's more of a pass at certain people insinuating that people who own less expensive cameras wouldn't buy a nice lens.
It is an inverse cantilever argument

If the people say the K-70 camera is more better than I would ever need
And the 11-18 is more lens than the K-70 camera could ever need...
Where would that leave me ?

I think the lens is fine for the K-70
I can't imagine an argument otherwise as long as the K-70 is used as a camera...

+ be honest.. the lens would be a waste on the K-70 as a bookend.
02-01-2019, 03:20 PM   #570
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Minolta? That’s not Sony... they bought that...

Mavica is Sony
I’m thinking late-90s digital with floppy-based storage...

-Eric