Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 928 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #661
mee
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm wondering what the next Pentax camera will look like; I'm thinking that the K-1 'look' may be a new Pentax standard to visually distinguish them from other brands.
I find that would be wonderful. The K-1 has a big, beefy grip which makes it wonderful for me to hold on to with large, heavy lenses (your 55-300 is less than a pound). Especially when you are running with it or walking with the camera down on your side. Can't always hold it like a dainty tea cup and saucer!

02-02-2019, 11:50 AM   #662
Pentaxian

I'm wondering what the next Pentax camera will look like; I'm thinking that the K-1 'look' may be a new Pentax standard to visually distinguish them from other brands.
I'm thinking the same, and I like the idea - it's a sort of "rugged", "dependable" look, and indeed distinctive.
02-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #663
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Could you please point out one native E-mount lens (not a multi-mount third-party lens originally designed for SLRs and then adapted to E mount) with such feature?
Well, the native lenses wouldn't be designed this way, would they be ?
I am talking about lenses designed for another mount and then adapted to the short registration mount...

Lenses released under Sony name have a bevel from maximum circumference to a reduced circumference at the mount end of the lens. This reduced circumference is an inch or so. I admitted my perception might be incorrect but this style of lens design has not been adopted by other manufacturers* so how do you explain the way these lenses look :^)

* except long focal length lenses with large aperture made by many companies. these lenses also have a length of lens with reduced circumference at the mount end but, really, it isn't possible to confuse this necessary design with the Sony style.
02-02-2019, 11:57 AM   #664
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Haha yeah it is new to me.. I just found this now: PENTAX K-50 "50th Anniversary Edition" | PENTAXever.com
So how excited are you for the upcoming anniversary? Those k-50 anniversary people will also do the committy for the next party.

02-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #665
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
...DPF stands for diesel particulate filter. There is a 1000 micron filter in the exhaust system that catches soot particles and is supposed to hold them until they get burned off by the heat of the exhaust. This is fine if the truck is working, but if the vehicle is a daily driver, then the soot builds up, potentially clogging the filter.
Consequently, when backpressure builds up sufficiently, the computer calls for a reservation cycle and starts to dump raw fuel into the exhaust cycle where it ignites and heats up the filter until the soot is burned off. It’s really smelly when it happens and uses significant fuel, upwards of 10% of my fuel goes into regenerations.
A lot of owners will, once their warranty is off, do a tune and delete where the DPF is removed and replaced with a plain pipe and the DEF is turned off, with the truck retuned to not be looking for these systems. This is one of those things that is tempting, but not something I would do unless the systems started giving real problems as it means the truck will be a rolling coal factory with stinky exhaust.
When I read the first paragraph quoted, my thought was "this is it"
At the second paragraph quoted, I am sure this must be what people do
thanks

---------- Post added 02-02-19 at 01:01 PM ----------

I learned this technique back in the days of manual focus, when my hand was on the lens anyway to focus it. Of course, those were "trombone" zooms, and the handling was more different from modern zooms than I had realized until recently .... these days I have to be careful to keep my hand away from the focus ring.
what other way to hold the camera, i wonder ??
02-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #666
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I am talking about lenses designed for another mount and then adapted to the short registration mount...

Lenses released under Sony name have a bevel from maximum circumference to a reduced circumference at the mount end of the lens. This reduced circumference is an inch or so. I admitted my perception might be incorrect but this style of lens design has not been adopted by other manufacturers* so how do you explain the way these lenses look :^)

* except long focal length lenses with large aperture made by many companies. these lenses also have a length of lens with reduced circumference at the mount end but, really, it isn't possible to confuse this necessary design with the Sony style.
Maybe it's a result of their mount having a small diameter.
02-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #667
Pentaxian

I am talking about lenses designed for another mount and then adapted to the short registration
(...)
So you are talking about third-party lenses originally designed for DSLR mounts and then adapted to the Sony E mount (e.g. most Sigma lenses and some Samyang lenses.)

If so what you wrote is a tautology.

02-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #668
Veteran Member

I find that would be wonderful. The K-1 has a big, beefy grip which makes it wonderful for me to hold on to with large, heavy lenses (your 55-300 is less than a pound). Especially when you are running with it or walking with the camera down on your side. Can't always hold it like a dainty tea cup and saucer!
I don't think he is talking about holding the camera like a dainty tea cup...
I don't think he is talking about ...running and gunning ?
I don't think he is describing a grip that is useful when the camera is ...down on your side.

I am sure he is describing what is pretty much a standard grip when trying to hold a camera steady.

If you are running and taking pictures and taking pictures with the camera down on your side, you have a different style and will, of course, benefit from other than a standard grip technique :^)

ps - my tea cup don't got a handle :^|
02-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #669
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interestingly, when looking around, I discovered this: ONLY 3 in the world?Almost UNUSED? Pentax Ricoh K-50 50th anniversary Camera 462 | eBay

I think the K-3 series was a more mainstream acceptable styled and featured camera. I could see it being more important to the bottom line.

But the KP was styled/featured more to match the K-1 in some ways. So I could see them sticking with that way too...
I just wish Pentax management would stop the shroud of mystery behind every one of their announcements. Wouldn't it build more brand buzz to show coming attractions and not on some '0' timeframe -road map? Perhaps if you have coming attractions, new users could be brought into the Pentax orbit.
02-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #670
mee
Veteran Member

I don't think he is talking about holding the camera like a dainty tea cup...
I don't think he is talking about ...running and gunning ?
I don't think he is describing a grip that is useful when the camera is ...down on your side.

I am sure he is describing what is pretty much a standard grip when trying to hold a camera steady.

If you are running and taking pictures and taking pictures with the camera down on your side, you have a different style and will, of course, benefit from other than a standard grip technique :^)

ps - my tea cup don't got a handle :^|
My point exactly. He was trying to say, in a manner of speaking, the KP grip is acceptable due to his own personal type of photography and technique. And doing so as a rebuttal to me answering another persons question of what feature (on an updated camera body) I'd think would benefit a lens of the size and weight of this new DA* over what is offered by the KP. It was just his way of trying to argue the KP is fine the way it is. But if the KP is fine the way it is, keep using your KP! Which is why I said "Good for you!" because it is a pointless argument based around trying to control another person based on your own personal preferences.
02-02-2019, 12:20 PM   #671
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I just wish Pentax management would stop the shroud of mystery behind every one of their announcements. Wouldn't it build more brand buzz to show coming attractions and not on some '0' timeframe -road map? Perhaps if you have coming attractions, new users could be brought into the Pentax orbit.
I agree.

But I think the pipeline is moving at low pressure these days. So they have opted to hype long coming products.

My personal take is, they might have saw the shrinking of the market early on and positioned themselves to it early. The other brands are shifting a bit later so it makes Pentax look really sparse for new products at the moment. That, and I think they are still unsure where the market is heading (or more so their placement in it) so they are kind of stuck in a rut of analysis..
02-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #672
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
So you are talking about third-party lenses originally designed for DSLR mounts and then adapted to the Sony E mount (e.g. most Sigma lenses and some Samyang lenses.)

If so what you wrote is a tautology.
It was an attempt to get you back on line.
You specified -native- lenses in bold.
I am not talking about native lenses.

Do you have a reason, other than grafted lens adapter, for the look of the lenses I am talking about?

If not, did you introduce a straw man argument, bringing up -native- lenses :^)

+ you write "...you are talking about third-party lenses...". It is possible you have misread my posts so I reiterate I am talking about Sony lenses as I have written twice before.

Last edited by Tan68; 02-02-2019 at 01:32 PM.
02-02-2019, 12:39 PM - 3 Likes   #673
Veteran Member

I may have pin pointed what is going on. Back in 2010 when Pentax did the fast re-redesign of the D-FA 100 Macro WR I started the Lens Club thread D-FA WR Club in hopes Pentax would start retooling more lenses this way. Ironically the first post response by Marc Stabella's specifically suggest a D-FA 35mm WR.

Here we are 9 years later instead of a digital age D-FA 35mm WR we have the release of an HD coated FA 35 to retain compatibility with film cameras.

I feel personally responsible.

For full frame prime lenses for the K-1 the D-FA 100 Macro WR is a great value. The release price of the D-FA100MWR was $380US per PF lens reviews. Recent sale prices have brought it close to that number.

The images speak for themselves in that D-FA WR lens Club thread.
02-02-2019, 12:55 PM   #674
Veteran Member

...Which is why I said "Good for you!" because it is a pointless argument based around trying to control another person based on your own personal preferences.
I figured you had in mind the 55-300 is a fairly light lens, and it is, so a smaller grip still works well.
I figure you have in mind heavier lenses although they may also be 300mm focal length.

With the comments about running and etc, though, it seemed to me there is are very different grip requirements in your world! I don't run with my camera. I have made risky moves where I probably should have first put the camera away. I have sometimes held onto the barrel of the lens because that felt more.. secure than holding the camera grip with the weight of the lens and its length creating leverage as I move/swing the camera.

The grip reh describes is pretty good even with little or no grip. Left hand holds the weight & right hand points/positions the camera. I am not making an argument that grips aren't necessary, though. There are reasons why cameras have grips and have had for years. With my first gripless camera, I left the body half of the ever-ready case on so I had more to hold.

Plus, trying to have a little fun : how do you grip a camera to take pictures while running ?

---------- Post added 02-02-19 at 01:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Maybe it's a result of their mount having a small diameter.
..just a thing I notice about the way the Sony lenses looked when they released their new mount. Thanks for the reply; don't mean to start any Sony ill-will :^)
02-02-2019, 01:35 PM   #675
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I handle my DA 55-300 PLM perfectly well with my KP {and I've never installed anything other than the smallest grip on it} ..... but so many modern photographers seem totally unwilling to hold the body with their right hand while supporting the lens with the left hand. I could hand-hold the DA* 11-18 {with adapter, of course} on my Q-7.
My problem with the KP form factor is grip depth, with the K-3/K3II form factor you have a very deep grip and I can wrap my fingers around the grip, thus its more comfortable to support the camera in my right hand and support the lens barrel with my left hand the way I was taught to hold and support the camera. I two hand my K-3 even with smaller lens. I've never held a KP but the fat little grips with shallow depth look as if you don't have enough grip depth and it might make you hold the camera with a "clamping" hold rather than wrapping the fingers around the grip for good camera support.

My assumptions could be wrong.