Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 928 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #721
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If I'm moving from location to location and/or there is a brief pause in shooting, I'm not strapping in my camera to a harness to let it slap around my mid section when I can more easily and reliably just hold the camera by the grip in my hand securely.
You need to sort out a better carrying system.

I shot the KP with the DFA150-450 for a week in Antarctica recently. Never felt close to dropping it, even in big seas and leaning out of moving Zodiacs. Of course it was always tethered to my backpack with a sling when I was shooting, and secured with a capture clip on my shoulder strap when I wasn't.

What is your experience with the KP and big lenses?

02-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #722
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

I shot the KP with the DFA150-450 for a week in Antarctica recently. Never felt close to dropping it, even in big seas and leaning out of moving Zodiacs. Of course it was always tethered to my backpack with a sling when I was shooting, and secured with a capture clip on my shoulder strap when I wasn't.

I don't need to sort out a better carrying system.

You need to accept my way works for me, and your way works for you.

That is the issue on going here... you, clackers, and reh are trying to convince me my subjective choices are objectively wrong. It isn't going to work, I'm afraid. You should just move on...
02-02-2019, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #723
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
...Back on the body makes it awkward for using imo.

The KP took retro looks in lieu of ergonomics. Then they tried to pack some of the ergo back in the form of customizable sized grips. But it is a mess imo.

I just hope the K-3 replacement goes back to K-3 type hand grip and shutter button placement.
It's not really a mess... it is a different style.

I am sure I wouldn't like the shutter button on the body. I haven't held a KP but do use other cameras that have the shutter release on the body and I do prefer the release on the grip. With the release on the grip, I don't use my fingertip to trip the thing. I lay my index finger over the release and can ..tense the muscles in that finger and make the shutter go. I don't ever press (press down) the button, so to speak, and I think this is a good thing.

But that doesn't mean the KP is a mess....

---------- Post added 02-02-19 at 07:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm being picky, here, but there are times where - especially when shooting longer / heavier lenses - I'd have liked to continue supporting the lens with my left hand, but operated image playback with my right. ...
I bet you will be in luck. Looks like most of the newer cameras have the play button on the right. I think it is better as well.
02-02-2019, 07:00 PM   #724

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Who does that?

That's appalling technique.

Experts use straps to bear weight between shots. Sometimes double harnesses for two bodies with lenses of different focal lengths.

During shots a side grip is also bad, putting strain on a rigid right wrist. That hand should be super relaxed.

The weight of both lens and camera is borne by the left elbow pointing the ground. You should be able to withdraw the right hand and signal to your subject and the camera never moves.

Appalling technique???? Who are the experts that use straps and harnesses? You aiming that towards all of us?

02-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #725
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

Whole different lens size/weight than yours but the reason I don't use my homemade wrist strap to keep the camera secure in hand when I am not taking pictures is because I just dropped the camera in its holster when I wasn't taking pictures. When I was holding it waiting for whatever moment I thought I needed, I had hand(s) on it. If my camera + lens didn't fit in the holster, I would probably use a clip. Even with small lenses, I either have hand(s) on or the camera is in its smaller holster. If carrying it one-handed, too easy to be bumped by other people in a crowd and have it knocked out of my hand. whichever. etc.

---------- Post added 02-02-19 at 08:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by alcstudios Quote
Appalling technique???? Who are the experts that use straps and harnesses? You aiming that towards all of us?
Some things even I know to not pursue !
I am mentioning no further secrets to my camera holding sauce for fear of either jinxing myself or ..something
Plus, I don't think I know what is a side grip [my right hand holds only the side of the camera.....]

Last edited by Tan68; 02-02-2019 at 07:15 PM.
02-02-2019, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #726
Pentaxian

That is the issue on going here... you, clackers, and reh are trying to convince me my subjective choices are objectively wrong. It isn't going to work, I'm afraid. You should just move on...
What is going on here is that you are trying to convince us your subjective choices are the only right choice. You are welcome to your choice - and I hope Pentax delivers another camera that provides exactly what you want, since you are clearly unwilling to change your technique and/or expectations. If the KP isn't right for you, that is great, but there is no reason for you to continue complaining about the K-70 and KP - Pentax isn't going to change them.
02-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #727
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
'mee' has obviously never used a K-70 and makes judgements via a Youtube video.

The K-70 is a Pentax afterall, WR and feels as solid as a rock. It has a polycarbonate body and a sturdy metal frame . It feels superbly built and more robust than my K-30 which was good also. If you are breaking these you are careless and you'd be smashing lenses to bits also. I never dropped my K-30 once in 6 years, I've used it at -20 Celsius, hung it off cliffs, it was dragged many 100's miles over mountain ranges only wrapped in clothes inside my backpack and it is as good the day I got it.

I recently chose the K-70 over a KP and K3ii due to the more powerful in-built flash meaning I don't need to bring my flash with me on long hikes.

A lot of snobs running down poly bodies who insist on a full magnesium pro body probably rarely leave their house, maybe venturing as far as their back garden to take a photo of a crow or their cat!

02-02-2019, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #728
Veteran Member

I appreciate your concern, but it isn't a concern that needs fixing! haha

You're not single hand holding a KP with a 2 or 3 pound lens on your side for very long. It just isn't happening. And, thankfully, it doesn't have to happen because there are a ton of other cameras that have actually decent ergonomics from which to chose! So I don't have to hold the KP at all.

That said, the bigger concern is the placement of the shutter release button. Back on the body makes it awkward for using imo.

The KP took retro looks in lieu of ergonomics. Then they tried to pack some of the ergo back in the form of customizable sized grips. But it is a mess imo.

I just hope the K-3 replacement goes back to K-3 type hand grip and shutter button placement.
And my suggestion about the wrist strap wasn't an attempt to make the KP suitable for you. You preference for larger grips seems to be some because it is easier to hold cameras when you aren't taking pictures. A wrist strap could make that even easier because the camera would stay attached to you even with a relaxed grip and this is why I suggested it.
02-02-2019, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #729
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What is going on here is that you are trying to convince us your subjective choices are the only right choice. You are welcome to your choice - and I hope Pentax delivers another camera that provides exactly what you want, since you are clearly unwilling to change your technique and/or expectations. If the KP isn't right for you, that is great, but there is no reason for you to continue complaining about the K-70 and KP - Pentax isn't going to change them.
Negative.

I said:

That's too bad. Few are waiting for a KP II.

K-3 III with that 11-18 would be a fantastic kit.
House asked:

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
What are the features of this potential K-3 III that would make it more suitable than say the KP for an ultra wide zoom lens?
I responded with:

An actual hand grip with the shutter release button moved out onto the grip and not set in the body as on the KP... for one..
You interjected how the KP worked for you. I responded that it was good for you (because it is).

Later you pondered:

I'm wondering what the next Pentax camera will look like; I'm thinking that the K-1 'look' may be a new Pentax standard to visually distinguish them from other brands.

I responded that:

I find that would be wonderful. The K-1 has a big, beefy grip which makes it wonderful for me to hold on to with large, heavy lenses (your 55-300 is less than a pound). Especially when you are running with it or walking with the camera down on your side. Can't always hold it like a dainty tea cup and saucer!
Tan68 responded:

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I don't think he is talking about holding the camera like a dainty tea cup...
I don't think he is talking about ...running and gunning ?
I don't think he is describing a grip that is useful when the camera is ...down on your side.

I am sure he is describing what is pretty much a standard grip when trying to hold a camera steady.

If you are running and taking pictures and taking pictures with the camera down on your side, you have a different style and will, of course, benefit from other than a standard grip technique :^)

ps - my tea cup don't got a handle :^|
I then agreed with Tan68.

As a result of this longwinded back and forth, you then some how believe my personal choices somehow are objectively reaching. Despite me using the words 'FOR ME' in my post and never stating it didn't work FOR YOU. On the contrary, I said 'Good for you' Because I'm happy that the KP works FOR YOU.

I was never contemplating the K-70 or the KP, so I don't know how you came to that conclusion. Since I specifically said I was excited and waiting for the K-3 successor to come from the very start of my interactions in this ballyhoo.
02-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #730
mee
Veteran Member

And my suggestion about the wrist strap wasn't an attempt to make the KP suitable for you. You preference for larger grips seems to be some because it is easier to hold cameras when you aren't taking pictures. A wrist strap could make that even easier because the camera would stay attached to you even with a relaxed grip and this is why I suggested it.
Ah okay. I appreciate that and apologies to you that I misunderstand what you were saying. The wrist strap would indeed be a suitable choice in my situation.
02-02-2019, 08:12 PM - 2 Likes   #731
Pentaxian

Negative....
In other words, you inflexibly insist on particular ways of doing particular things and aren't interested in other approaches - even if they would make cameras available today usable to you - leaving you hoping for a possibly distant and definitely more expensive solution.
02-02-2019, 08:22 PM   #732
mee
Veteran Member

In other words, you inflexibly insist on particular ways of doing particular things and aren't interested in other approaches - even if they would make cameras available today usable to you - leaving you hoping for a possibly distant and definitely more expensive solution.
Correct.

I like to do things my way with my choice of cameras and features that I decide for me.

Just as you enjoy doing things your way with your choice of cameras and features that you decide for you.

I never said you cannot enjoy your KP. I simply responded to the question of why I cannot enjoy a KP, personally.
02-02-2019, 08:33 PM   #733
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not really a mess... it is a different style.

I am sure I wouldn't like the shutter button on the body. I haven't held a KP but do use other cameras that have the shutter release on the body and I do prefer the release on the grip. With the release on the grip, I don't use my fingertip to trip the thing. I lay my index finger over the release and can ..tense the muscles in that finger and make the shutter go. I don't ever press (press down) the button, so to speak, and I think this is a good thing.
It’s quite simple, really. When not shooting I use a neck a strap or carry the camera with neck strap wrapped around my wrist. When not around my neck ready to shoot I use a camera bag.

The grip of the right hand is light, to guide the camera only. On my K-1 my fingers wrap around the grip and my trigger finger naturally falls to where Pentax placed the shutter release and front e-dial.

The KP feels similar to using an LX with Grip A. It certainly isn’t awkward if an LX isn’t awkward. On KP, with the medium or large grip (for my large hands) the fingertips of my right hand lightly grip the camera body just beside the grip, the fleshy part of my palm next to my right thumb rests under the back corner of the body and my trigger finger falls naturally on the release button or front e-dial. Only the Back AF Button is slightly in the wrong place, and I’ve adjusted to that. It’s the left hand that makes everything fit and work well.

Those of us who have both K-1 and KP and use them weekly can speak with some authority and experience. KP isn’t perfect, it is a compromise like all cameras, but it isn’t a mess. Since the intent is to compete in size with a MILC with lenses mounted KP is no more or less awkward than the MILC’s people rave about.

I like the KP and actually use it more frequently than my K-1, but more casually and for a shorter time per use.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-03-2019 at 08:30 AM.
02-02-2019, 08:33 PM - 2 Likes   #734
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I simply responded to the question of why I cannot enjoy a KP, personally.
Have you actually tried a KP?
02-02-2019, 08:50 PM - 2 Likes   #735
Pentaxian

Most who complain about the KP has never even seen one in person as far as I'm aware.