Sure, the HD FA35 2 will be kinda the 31ltd for the poor
And the D FA* 35mm f/1.4 will be kinda the 31ltd for the rich

02-04-2019, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #797
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
And there's nothing wrong with that! I was merely explaining why I won't be buying one, despite BruceBanner's insistence.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And the D FA* 35mm f/1.4 will be kinda the 31ltd for the rich
I'd prefer to think of it as (hopefully) the Sigma Art for the true believer.

The FA31 is in a class of its own.
02-04-2019, 04:48 AM   #798
Pentaxian

Neah, a * lens is in a completely another league than a lowish Sigma.

By the way, from the PENTAX STAR LENS | RICOH IMAGING
"* lens: A Star lens series produced through the use of the latest optical technologies. It delivers the ultimate in digital images, and assures optimum image quality, operability and durability."
"Limited lens: A lens series delivering a truthful sense of depth and excellent imaging power that can’t be described by mere numerical values. Its machined aluminum-alloy body adds a sense of exclusivity."
02-04-2019, 06:41 AM   #799

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I recently put the K-1ii up for sale...After about 1,500 shots in 6 months, I'm simply not using it enough...Bought it with the best intentions and now will have to evaluate whether I sell some or all of the Full Frame Glass....The kit with the 28-105mm D FA was $2600 with tax. I'm selling it for 2K--the loss and depreciation was worth the launch and it axis a fine piece but not for my needs. Listed it on eBay yesterday....KP, K-S2 and now I'm deciding whether to get a K-5IIs or a K-3/ii as my 3rd body...unless Pentax changes their mysterious roadmap and introduces a KPii refresher or a K-3iii by some miracle.
I had a pair of K5ii's, one was a K5iis and the other a K5ii. I traded my 85,000 shutter count K5iis for a K3ii and don't regret it for a second. Just better in every way. Hoping to replace my K5ii with the K3ii replacement.

02-04-2019, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #800
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
unless Pentax changes their mysterious roadmap and introduces a KPii refresher or a K-3iii by some miracle.
Last month I was rather dubious about the K-3ii replacement - but this 'quick' release of the DA* 11-18 made it obvious that this year won't be mostly "FF" as I had been thinking.
02-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #801
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Last month I was rather dubious about the K-3ii replacement - but this 'quick' release of the DA* 11-18 made it obvious that this year won't be mostly "FF" as I had been thinking.
It most likely will be (mostly FF) this year, but perhaps a new APS-C body will be revealed in some or the other way. Isn't the GR the next coming release? After that, perhaps after the summer, a new APS-C, but possibly next year. The DA11-18 has been on the roadmap for quite a while, and fits the KP perfectly. I would not see it as any omen that a new APS-C is near, but since Pentax does release body updated every three years or so, a new APS-C will be getting nearer.
The DA11-18* f2.8 btw is a fantastic lens by the looks of it. I would have jumped at it 5 years ago, to match my K5IIs.

Chris
02-04-2019, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #802
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
It most likely will be (mostly FF) this year, but perhaps a new APS-C body will be revealed in some or the other way.
There is always the possibility to release two identical camera bodies , one body with a full frame sensor and the other one with an apsc sensor in it with faster frame rate and cheaper price, because the lens mount is the same anyway, same battery grip would be nice. Just looking at what Olympus have done out of a micro 4/3 sensor: a camera as large as a 1D.

02-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #803
Veteran Member

Sorry if this is old info but saw this about the new 35mm on another forum...

????????HD PENTAX-FA 35mm F2 ????? !!! HD ??????-FA 35mm F2 ??? - ??????????by????????

Don't do Japanese but the pictures/charts are clear

davek

Last edited by dave kitson; 02-04-2019 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typo
02-04-2019, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #804
Pentaxian

There is always the possibility to release two identical camera bodies , one body with a full frame sensor and the other one with an apsc sensor in it with faster frame rate and cheaper price, because the lens mount is the same anyway, same battery grip would be nice. Just looking at what Olympus have done out of a micro 4/3 sensor: a camera as large as a 1D.
They might have to make some of the "KP compromises", but they should be able to put a 24mp FF camera into the same K-3 size case as a 24mp K-3ii followup. In that case, some of the innards could be the same also.
02-04-2019, 10:47 AM   #805
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They might have to make some of the "KP compromises", but they should be able to put a 24mp FF camera into the same K-3 size case as a 24mp K-3ii followup. In that case, some of the innards could be the same also.
That's not possible to keep the apsc size due to the mirror box being larger for full frame. But I assume fitting an aspc sensor into a full frame body is easier.
02-04-2019, 11:15 AM   #806
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote
Sorry if this is old info but saw this about the new 35mm on another forum...

????????HD PENTAX-FA 35mm F2 ????? !!! HD ??????-FA 35mm F2 ??? - ??????????by????????

Don't do Japanese but the pictures/charts are clear

davek
Wow, that is quite a big difference. Things that I hated with my FA 35 seems to be soved(exeption of that 6 blades ).
02-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #807
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm waiting to see what kinda prices the HD FA 35/2 will go for here in Australia. It might not be that cheaper... Well.. I mean it will be cheaper, I don't think us Aussie's can get a FA31 cheaper than $1200AUD new in a DCXpert eBay 20% sale... but is the HD FA 35/2 going to sell for $399AUD or more like $799AUD or something...

I've seen some really mint second hand FA31's go for around $800AUD which is probably to route I'd end up going if the HD FA 35/2 is going to be too pricey.

What I will really want to see further down the line is a FA31 vs HD FA35/2 shoot out, at specifically both at their widest apertures or perhaps a stop down and compare under a variety of conditions (to see how much that HD Coating is helping).

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
And there's nothing wrong with that! I was merely explaining why I won't be buying one, despite BruceBanner's insistence.

I'd prefer to think of it as (hopefully) the Sigma Art for the true believer.

The FA31 is in a class of its own.
Hehe, sorry Sandy, I was just having fun in my usual naughty way. It did provoke you into submitting a bunch of wonderful images however
02-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #808
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Superb idea!
02-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #809
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What would be the point in that??? A much better plan would be to mount an APS-C sensor in the K-1 body and save a bunch on designing and producing a new exclusive APS-C body.

Last edited by Larrymc; 02-04-2019 at 02:29 PM.
02-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #810
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
What would be the point in that???
Save design effort - modern engineers are constantly encouraged to not design something if they can re-use a subdesign,

Inventory control - more efficient if two cameras have many parts in common.