Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 928 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #841
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I think (and maybe hope) the delay in camera release, and the K-1 refresh, is due to work with a new processor. The current (Milbuet?) processor is quite dated and I believe the one component holding Pentax development back.
Yes, I've also been hoping/dreaming about this. This would also explain why Ricoh execs seem to be saying that the next high-end APS-C body won't be a continuation of the K-3 line. If they were working with Samsung, they could give me essentially an NX1 in K-mount, with Pentax ergonomics, and I'd be ecstatic. But with every day that passes, the likelyhood of that seems to be going down. It's not like the NX1 tech is brand new - it's from 2014! You'd think if that were the direction, they'd have something ready right about now. Not sure what other processor options are out there...

02-05-2019, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #842
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
While I wait for the email that my 11-18 is ready to ship...

I would really be surprised to see anything like a K-1 sized Aps-c offering from Pentax. That would fly in the face of 40 years of design philosophy from Pentax, to build high quality, very compact cameras. Could the K-1 have been smaller? I have no doubt. But the design of the camera is spot on for its intended use. And as someone pointed out in another thread, it seems to take some design from the 67.

The K5/K3 bodies were a perfect compromise for a professional Aps-c camera. Yes, they could use some improvements in areas, but every camera is a compromise.

We have the Limiteds which are designed to be compact. We have * series lenses which are designed with the professional in mind. With my * lenses, I add the battery grip and have a well balanced system. I have choices.
The "well balanced" myth is what started the several page detour a few days ago. Those of us who hold the body with the right hand while supporting the lens with the left hand have no trouble at all with "balance". Last year, during Nikon's introduction tour for the Z-family, I had no trouble at all handling a Z-7 with an adapted Sigma loooong lens on it. Those who want to use a system like that will learn to do so; the others, not so much.
02-05-2019, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #843
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The "well balanced" myth is what started the several page detour a few days ago. Those of us who hold the body with the right hand while supporting the lens with the left hand have no trouble at all with "balance". Last year, during Nikon's introduction tour for the Z-family, I had no trouble at all handling a Z-7 with an adapted Sigma loooong lens on it. Those who want to use a system like that will learn to do so; the others, not so much.
Agreed. I have no trouble using the KP, even with the K300 and medium grip. But that’s years of using film cameras behind me also. I was taught good technique is where it all starts.
02-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #844
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's not possible to keep the apsc size due to the mirror box being larger for full frame. But I assume fitting an aspc sensor into a full frame body is easier.
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The K-5/K-3 is about the right size for a serious compact camera system. The more serious mirrorless camera's are also gravitating towards that size. Once you make a decent grip the shallower registration distance loses it's advantage size wise. Just Look at the Panasonic Lumix DC G9 It is about the same size as the K-5/K-3. For more casual shooters mirrorless offers more compactness.
When using the Z-7, I realized that their large grip made the shallow registration distance largely irrelevant. Pentax has 'admitted' looking into MILC - a FF K-mount MILC would easily fit into a K-3 body.

02-05-2019, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #845
Pentaxian

I’d say that going Nikon z6/7 or canon way, even panasonic, is expensive way. there will be great lenses for them. perhaps when tech get’s better, there will be more advantage, but just look at panasonic 50/1,4 prize and compare it to Pentax new 50/1,4. Difference? price and performance. bothtop notch. I do hope that IF pentax will get on to that milc boat, they will keep K-mount. no adapters. I like my mirror, but if things are heading to no mirror, okay. Keep ergo, batterylife, ect as it is. First thing to solve is AF, and I do think that they are on it.
02-05-2019, 01:46 PM - 2 Likes   #846
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When using the Z-7, I realized that their large grip made the shallow registration distance largely irrelevant. Pentax has 'admitted' looking into MILC - a FF K-mount MILC would easily fit into a K-3 body.
Now there you go, RE, making another swerve into MILC never never land. Please lets not go through another 2 weeks of mirrorless drivel from the mirrorless evangelists. Weren't you just commenting about the camera body swerve a few posts back.

Last edited by Larrymc; 02-05-2019 at 01:54 PM.
02-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #847
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Now there you go, RE, making another swerve into MILC never never land. Please lets not go through another 2 weeks of mirrorless drivel from the mirrorless evangelists. You were just commenting about the camera body swerve a few posts back.
I'm not trying to create a swerve - we are doing a lot of speculation on virtually no information, and Pentax has hinted at lots of possibilities, so a "FF" MILC in a K-3 body makes at least as much sense as a K-3ii replacement in a K-1 body ..... hopefully they will provide some actual information soon.

Last edited by reh321; 02-05-2019 at 02:00 PM.
02-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #848
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Compare camera dimensions side by side

That would make the K-3iii a big camera for aps-c. If it had a new 6 stop SR system then maybe. Or a great heat dispatching system so it could run 4k video.
I would say, it depends ;-)

Compact Camera Meter

or here

http://j.mp/2RJ3Axz
02-05-2019, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #849
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
..... hopefully they will provide some actual information soon.
for the love of all that is holy, I hope they announce and release a k-3ii replacement this year.
it's the only thing on my GAS/LBA list!
02-05-2019, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #850
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not trying to create a swerve - we are doing a lot of speculation on virtually no information, and Pentax has hinted at lots of possibilities, so a "FF" MILC in a K-3 body makes at least as much sense as a K-3ii replacement in a K-1 body ..... hopefully they will provide some actual information soon.
I'm just trying to tamp down the Mirrorless talk, you know exactly how it gets when the Evangelists start preaching. Speculation about a FF mirrorless is pure fantasy especially expecting one before 2020 or even later IMO. Lets keep our speculation within the realm of probability.
02-05-2019, 03:17 PM - 2 Likes   #851
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
for the love of all that is holy, I hope they announce and release a k-3ii replacement this year.
Me too!
02-05-2019, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #852
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Out of interest, FF ... given the current price of the K-1, what would you pay for a new flagship APS-C body?

You've said you're passionate about this ...
02-05-2019, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #853
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
what would you pay for a new flagship APS-C body?
Hey clackers!

Since a K-70 body costs about $800 CAD, a KP body about $1200 CAD, and a K-1ii body costs about $2500 CAD, I would expect to pay in about the $1500 ball-park (all before taxes).

I've got about $900 in my squirrel fund so far!

May I ask why you have an interest in the price I'd pay?

References:
Pentax K-70 DSLR Body (black) | McBain Camera Canada
Pentax KP DSLR Body (black) | McBain Camera Canada
Pentax K-1 Mark II DSLR Body | McBain Camera Canada
02-05-2019, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #854
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Me too!
After the pre-Christmas specials, I was really confused about Pentax's priorities, but the announcement this thread is allegedly about resumes my confidence that there will be a K-3ii replacement and some "FF" body amongst announcements, and hopefully releases, this year.
02-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #855
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey clackers!

Since a K-70 body costs about $800 CAD, a KP body about $1200 CAD, and a K-1ii body costs about $2500 CAD, I would expect to pay in about the $1500 ball-park (all before taxes).

I've got about $900 in my squirrel fund so far!

May I ask why you have an interest in the price I'd pay?

References:
Pentax K-70 DSLR Body (black) | McBain Camera Canada
Pentax KP DSLR Body (black) | McBain Camera Canada
Pentax K-1 Mark II DSLR Body | McBain Camera Canada

That $1500 would be bang in line with a K-3 III, an incrementally or evolutionary development, with no radical changes to the underlying hardware. 24Mp, no 4k video, modest improvements to SAFOX focusing system. And you may be real happy with that.

But looking at that McBain site, the Nikon D500 has 4k video, and the same AF module from the pro D5, with two CPUs on the mainboard IIRC. A mature product now and no longer at launch price, it still costs $2700, albeit on sale at the moment for $2400.

So yes, mate, you can now see why I asked about your expectation of price, coz it reveals a lot about what kind of product you'd be getting in return.

Now, about that $900 war chest you're looking to expand, there's this horse that's racing in Russia tomorrow, that ….

Last edited by clackers; 02-05-2019 at 04:05 PM.