Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 928 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2019, 02:15 PM - 2 Likes   #916
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I loved using GRII while I had it, and only sold it when news of GRIII came out (believe it or not, a week after I bought the GRII lol). GRIII sounds like a perfect camera for anything outside of my landscape work. I just need to kill my GAS that demands new lenses)
Good luck with that !!

Mine has mostly subsided... but every now and again something comes along that temporarily feeds and, occasionally, releases the demon

02-07-2019, 02:26 PM - 2 Likes   #917
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Good luck with that !!

Mine has mostly subsided... but every now and again something comes along that temporarily feeds and, occasionally, releases the demon
Oh same, I think I lust after a lot less camera gear, but I switched to watches now and my mind is racing with thousands of new options to dump all my money into) thankfully, I think I have all the camera gear I'd ever need. There are definitely things I'd like to optimize, like replacing 2.8 zooms with f4 zooms if and when they are available.

02-07-2019, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #918
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh same, I think I lust after a lot less camera gear, but I switched to watches now and my mind is racing with thousands of new options to dump all my money into) thankfully, I think I have all the camera gear I'd ever need. There are definitely things I'd like to optimize, like replacing 2.8 zooms with f4 zooms if and when they are available.
I did the whole watches thing for many years, so I completely understand the attraction and obsession At some point, I must sell off most of mine, as there's too much invested in them to sit idle
02-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #919
Veteran Member

I did the whole watches thing for many years, so I completely understand the attraction and obsession At some point, I must sell off most of mine, as there's too much invested in them to sit idle
I guess it's the same area of the brain that makes people obsess over photography gear, collecting watches, stamps, and whatever else people go crazy over I blame youtube! The danger to find new obsession is real on that platform

02-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #920
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I guess it's the same area of the brain that makes people obsess over photography gear, collecting watches, stamps, and whatever else people go crazy over I blame youtube! The danger to find new obsession is real on that platform

I thought that was a Baby Boomer thing, Timur, I would've thought you were a bit young for all that!

The stereotype (and stereotypes never work unless there's a recognizable grain of truth in them) Baby Boomers famously use all their accumulated cash to line walls or fill garages or studies with complete collections of the stuff they wished they had at the age of 25 … wines, records, cars, cameras, whatever.

It's why it can be useless to ask them about actually taking pictures, and why they haven't gotten any better in decades … armchair experts, they just collect, they don't shoot, they look at their cameras instead of through them.

If you're a Millennial, the activity and life-changing experience is meant to matter more than possessions. :P

Last edited by clackers; 02-07-2019 at 04:57 PM.
02-07-2019, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #921
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I thought that was a Baby Boomer thing, Timur, I would've thought you were a bit young for all that!

The stereotype (and stereotypes never work unless there's a recognizable grain of truth in them) Baby Boomers famously use all their accumulated cash to line walls or fill garages or studies with complete collections of the stuff they wished they had at the age of 25 … wines, records, cars, cameras, whatever.

It's why it can be useless to ask them about actually taking pictures, and why they haven't got any better in decades … armchair experts, they just collect, they don't shoot.

As a millennial, the activity and life-changing experience is meant to matter more than possessions. :P
I guess I have an advantage of being close to 25 (wish it was closer though!) and having those things, so I end up actually using them

I wish I could use my camera more these days, but upstate new york is God damn cold these days, I'm hoping I'll get to shoot more when I move down south next month

02-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #922
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I have an advantage of being close to 25 (wish it was closer though!) and having those things, so I end up actually using them

I wish I could use my camera more these days, but upstate new york is God damn cold these days, I'm hoping I'll get to shoot more when I move down south next month
I've always loved your pictures, you go to a lot of effort to get up early and a long way from civilization to get them, so keep that hipster hopeless idealism going! (An appreciative note from a jaded Gen Xer)

02-07-2019, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #923
Veteran Member

I've always loved your pictures, you go to a lot of effort to get up early and a long way from civilization to get them, so keep that hipster hopeless idealism going!
Thanks Clackers! pity I can't grow a proper beard! So I'm not a true hipster, maybe I need to look for a prosthetic one!

02-07-2019, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #924
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

It's why it can be useless to ask them about actually taking pictures, and why they haven't gotten any better in decades … armchair experts, they just collect, they don't shoot, they look at their cameras instead of through them.

If you're a Millennial, the activity and life-changing experience is meant to matter more than possessions. :P
So true clackers, some guys (girls don't seem to collect gear for the sake of it) on forums have over 500 lenses!

A friend of mine was painting a lawyer's house, he had an extension built for his expensive guitar collection and he couldn't play a note. You can do this for free by visiting a guitar shop.

I'm the polar opposite, in my 20's I bought a decent amount of stuff but the older I got (now 44) I just wanted rid of it, even share a car as I can't justify owning one to not use it everyday.

I'm about to get a used DA 60-250 as I need a stellar optic with these focal lengths but I'll be selling a camera and at least 3-4 lenses which don't get used often enough to pay for it. I'm looking forward to having less gear.

I don't know if I have improved, I was looking at photos from the past last night thinking Wow I wish I could do that
02-07-2019, 09:01 PM - 2 Likes   #925
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Watches are easier than vintage cars. At least with watches, you don't end up storing spare everything as you do for vintage cars.
02-07-2019, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #926
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
So true clackers, some guys (girls don't seem to collect gear for the sake of it) on forums have over 500 lenses!
Yes, it may be that Gear Acquisition Syndrome is like haemophilia, Nocturnal, carried on the X chromosome.

I'm about to get a used DA 60-250 as I need a stellar optic with these focal lengths but I'll be selling a camera and at least 3-4 lenses which don't get used often enough to pay for it. I'm looking forward to having less gear.

I don't know if I have improved, I was looking at photos from the past last night thinking Wow I wish I could do that

Don't want to throw a cat amongst the pigeons, mate, because by all accounts that DA* is a very sharp lens, but there should be a 70-200 f4, designed from the start for full frame, coming out in the next year.
02-07-2019, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #927
Veteran Member

Yes, it may be that Gear Acquisition Syndrome is like haemophilia, Nocturnal, carried on the X chromosome.

Don't want to throw a cat amongst the pigeons, mate, because by all accounts that DA* is a very sharp lens, but there should be a 70-200 f4, designed from the start for full frame, coming out in the next year.
Yes I know about the 70-200 f4, however it will be 3 times the cost of this used DA 60-250 and I only use APS-C, a K-70. I could always get the new lens someday and sell the DA 60-250 (I never loose much money buying and selling used lenses, mostly make a bit). Just worried about de-centreing and SDM motor.

I like the look of landscape images from the DA 60-250 which I'll be using it for.

So HD DA15 f4, HD DA 20-40 Limited and DA* 60-250 would be my 3 lens landscape kit. Don't mind the 40-60mm missing, I never use a 50mm so it is being sold (M50 f1.4)
02-07-2019, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #928
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

So HD DA15 f4, HD DA 20-40 Limited and DA* 60-250 would be my 3 lens landscape kit.
Well, that'll be a pretty good combo.

Sometimes I go out and about with that DA15, DA20-40 Ltd and the only difference would be the DA70 Ltd.
02-07-2019, 10:54 PM   #929
Veteran Member

Well, that'll be a pretty good combo.

Sometimes I go out and about with that DA15, DA20-40 Ltd and the only difference would be the DA70 Ltd.
Yes that classic compact set-up! I've carried the 15, 20-40 and the F*300 f4.5. I got some great 75+ miles distant backgrounds from mountain peaks with the F*300 but a 60-250 would come in much more useful as visibility is usually not all that excellent. A 135mm I would bring and use too so you can see my thinking here.

The F*300 and DA* 60-250 share the same 67mm filters so I won't need to buy any plus the WR is welcomed living in Ireland.

I'm trying to talk myself into definitely buying today, there are 2 for sale and one is an auction you see and it is a minter being barely used.

I've 12x items to be sold to pay for it and need to photograph it all Product photography is uber boring!
02-07-2019, 11:17 PM   #930
Veteran Member

Yes that classic compact set-up! I've carried the 15, 20-40 and the F*300 f4.5. I got some great 75+ miles distant backgrounds from mountain peaks with the F*300 but a 60-250 would come in much more useful as visibility is usually not all that excellent. A 135mm I would bring and use too so you can see my thinking here.

The F*300 and DA* 60-250 share the same 67mm filters so I won't need to buy any plus the WR is welcomed living in Ireland.

I'm trying to talk myself into definitely buying today, there are 2 for sale and one is an auction you see and it is a minter being barely used.

I've 12x items to be sold to pay for it and need to photograph it all Product photography is uber boring!
I use a similar setup when I go light. 15mm, 21mm and either DFA 100, M-150, or lately the 55-300 WR (small, great IQ, sealed). I'm one of those guys that's collected a fair amount of lenses, but I don't consider myself a lens a collector. I've just gotten bad at selling off what I'm not using. I think it's only hoarding or "collecting" if you don't use it. If you happen to be lucky enough to have time to use all the gear you collect, it's merely facilitating your hobby.