Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #1021
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It's the K-1 Mark II's accelerator unit that bridles the centre performance of the Pentax version.
Thread Winner

#2 Thread Winner.

10-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #1022
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Huh, that's strange. The Pentax was tested on a K-1 II, the Tokina on a Nikon D810.

The Tokina measured as having higher center sharpness, the Pentax more even across the frame.

Tokina measured as having lower CA.
The stand out thing to me is that the Pentax is weighted towards wide open whereas the Tokina improves by stopping down. Look at the Pentax edge behaviour, loosing edge performance at f5.6 looks a bit odd to me. Do you know of any other lens doing that? Perhaps the results are to be taken with a grain of salt?
10-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #1023
Pentaxian

I've seen a few websites ignoring the Pentax patents and keep on going with the 'all new Pentax lenses are rebadged Tamron or Tokina lenses' mantra...
Indeed, it's funny how one of them speculates about the Pentax HD D-FA* 50/1.4 probably being the result of a collaboration between Tokina and Pentax in their Pentax review but make no mention of Pentax in the Tokina Opera review.

But, hey, we know from their 2018 meeting, where they nominated the K-1 II as the second-worst camera of 2018, that all staff put up their hands and proclaimed they "love Pentax!", so it must be something wrong with our perception.
10-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #1024
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The stand out thing to me is that the Pentax is weighted towards wide open whereas the Tokina improves by stopping down. Look at the Pentax edge behaviour, loosing edge performance at f5.6 looks a bit odd to me. Do you know of any other lens doing that? Perhaps the results are to be taken with a grain of salt?
My guess would be sample variation (as you noted), but who knows? The fact that the Tokina reaches peak edge sharpness at f/11, whereas the Pentax's is at f/4, leads me to wonder if there's some lens alignment issue with the Tokina.

10-12-2019, 01:27 PM - 2 Likes   #1025
Pentaxian

I'm not so sure ePHOTOzine's tests are as professional as and on par with those of Optical Limits or LensTip.com for instance.
10-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #1026
Pentaxian

I'm not so sure ePHOTOzine's tests are as professional as and on par with those of Optical Limits or LensTip.com for instance.
With the lenses/cameras we have these days it must be very difficult to be absolutely sure the tests are correct. Tolerances must be quite small.
10-13-2019, 05:01 AM   #1027
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
With the lenses/cameras we have these days it must be very difficult to be absolutely sure the tests are correct. Tolerances must be quite small.
And sampling size is very small too: just one lens. Iv'e had lenses that perform better than lenstip's reviews, the most memorable was my 16-50. To be honest though i think mine was a very good copy.

10-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #1028
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be funny (in an extremely un-funny way) if delays on all the other Pentax lenses were due to success selling Tokina versions of Pentax lenses... though I doubt that’s the case...

-Eric
10-13-2019, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #1029
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
It would be funny (in an extremely un-funny way) if delays on all the other Pentax lenses were due to success selling Tokina versions of Pentax lenses... though I doubt that’s the case...

-Eric
Why would it be? Successfully selling means producing more. Not so much more in absolute terms though since we are talking about a $950 50mm lens, not a $250 walk-around lens.

Delays or rather a slow development pace come from low R&D funding, which has nothing to do with supposed production bottlenecks. On the contrary, the more money Smart Vision make from their partnership with Tokina (whatever its content), the more funding available for R&D and the quicker the development pace.

Going one step further, one could suppose that an ambitious lens like the HD Pentax-D FA★ 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW wouldn't have been developed at all in the absence of the incremental return on investment provided by the Tokina version.
10-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #1030
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why would it be? Successfully selling means producing more. Not so much more in absolute terms though since we are talking about a $950 50mm lens, not a $250 walk-around lens.

Delays or rather a slow development pace come from low R&D funding, which has nothing to do with supposed production bottlenecks. On the contrary, the more money Smart Vision make from their partnership with Tokina (whatever its content), the more funding available for R&D and the quicker the development pace.

Going one step further, one could suppose that an ambitious lens like the HD Pentax-D FA★ 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW wouldn't have been developed at all in the absence of the incremental return on investment provided by the Tokina version.
Oh, I agree entirely. I was speculating based merely on the possibility of production delays. If Tokina sold a bazillion 50mm lenses, that might interfere with the production of something else that we might want more.

And it’s all totally speculative, nothing real in terms of news...

-Eric
10-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #1031
Pentaxian

I'd rather speculate on the opposite.

The lens market has been falling in parallel with the ILC market: from 30.4 million units shipped in 2012 to 18 million units in 2018 (CIPA figures) and potentially 13.4 million in 2019 if the last four months of the year follow the same trend as the first eight months. In addition, these 18 million units in 2018 and 13.4 million units in 2019 include a large share of mirrorless lenses, a market which Pentax is absent from, whereas the 30.4 million units of 2012 where mostly SLR lenses (remember, in addition, that the manufacturing of Q lenses was outsourced to Nidec Copal).

Therefore, if anything, its over-capacity that threatens Ricoh's Vietnamese factory, not under-capacity. Hence my assumption (I have no insider information on this) that the Tokina opera 50mm f/1.4 could be manufactured by Ricoh -what I am sure of is that Ricoh would have welcomed such an opportunity, should it have arisen.
10-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #1032
Pentaxian

I doubt Tokina is selling more of the 50mm than Pentax. What made me think so is the other site's "I want it/I own it" counters, which don't represent much but Pentax' is an order a magnitude higher.
Yes, the Canon and Nikon user bases are much larger - but what if they (those looking for a 3rd-party 50mm) prefer the Sigma Art instead? (it doesn't have to be the better product).
10-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #1033
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there a breakdown by manufacturer in these figures for reductions in lens sales?

Last edited by mlt; 10-13-2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Add words
10-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #1034
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Is there a breakdown by manufacturer in these figures for reductions in lens sales?
No. The only breakdown published by CIPA is by image circle diameter: 'Lenses for 35mm and larger format Cameras' / 'Lenses for smaller than 35mm format Cameras'.
10-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #1035
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Slighty off topic here (but on topic hue hue hue), I was really hoping (by now) some HD FA 35/2 comparison shots/review vs its predecessor and possibly pitched against the FA31 which I'm sure many of you might agree is a choice contender if looking for a prime around this focal length. Did I miss it, has someone started a HD FA35/2 thread/review?