Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2019, 10:11 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Ole Henrik Skjelstad talks about his MEdiu Format Experience.

The Medium Format Experience ? Pentax 645Z ? Ole Henrik Skjelstad ? Medium

01-29-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazing tool, but is for serious people. The kind of "old" tool and make pictures that blow the mind ( as opposed to not just winning spreadsheet competition for internet review sites...).
01-30-2019, 01:59 AM   #3
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the link. Ole Henrik has some spectacular K-1 images in his stream, too. Ole Henrik Skjelstad | Flickr
01-30-2019, 07:40 AM   #4

Great shots with both the K-1 and 645z -- thanks for posting the links!

01-30-2019, 07:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
Great shots with both the K-1 and 645z -- thanks for posting the links!
You're not kidding - not sure whether I'm inspired or I should just give up photography

Absolutely Superb
01-30-2019, 07:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks for this!

Very glad to see it. Interesting that he has a similar set-up to mine---K1(U2) and the Z. I think I'll be corresponding with him.
01-30-2019, 07:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great article, great pictures!

But, not news or rumor...
01-30-2019, 08:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Great article, great pictures!

But, not news or rumor...
Of course its news!

01-30-2019, 09:49 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Of course it’s news!
Seems to me that it's more of a 'Pentax DSLR Discussion' thread or better yet a 'Pentax Medium Format' thread...

...but what do I know?
01-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Interesting that he has a similar set-up to mine---K1(U2) and the Z. I think I'll be corresponding with him.
We have chatted a few times before. I own a K1 and held off on the 645Z. I see crazy dynamic range out of the 645Z. I also see excellent DR out of my K1. Is the DR of the 645Z that much better. I would love to see an actual landscape shot with both cameras with identical ISO and framing to see what the actual differences are. Have you done any side-by-sides yourself? Curious to know.
Thanks
Boris
01-30-2019, 02:32 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
We have chatted a few times before. I own a K1 and held off on the 645Z. I see crazy dynamic range out of the 645Z. I also see excellent DR out of my K1. Is the DR of the 645Z that much better. I would love to see an actual landscape shot with both cameras with identical ISO and framing to see what the actual differences are. Have you done any side-by-sides yourself? Curious to know.
Thanks
Boris
Hi, Boris! Yes, I rememeber exchanging messages---hope you are well.

I have not done a direct comparison. Since I've had the K1, now upgraded, the way I have used it has been different than the way I have used the Z---the K1 has been used as a documentary camera for installations as they are happening, as it's slightly easier to deal with, but also something that I can put at risk in a more problematic, construction oriented environment....something I could live with if it got damaged. I also use it when I need UWA, although now I have the 25 for the Z. And I have used it for several events. The Z I use for work that needs absolute best quality and have plenty of time to do it---the K1 is a little quicker in a way.

It would be interesting to see a comparison between them, especially with the K1 in PS or DPS mode. But single shot, I still think the Z would have the edge on this, due to sensor size and thus tonal qualities.
01-30-2019, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

If dxomark can be trusted, the 645Z has a dynamic range score of 14.8 and the K-1 has a score of 14.7. In other words, if those scores are close to being accurate, there's no significant difference in the DR of these cameras at base ISO.

My suspicion is that the main advantage of the Pentax 645 system of the K-1 and the Pentax FF system is the medium format lenses. Because the 645 cameras are so expensive, Pentax can get away with selling significantly more expensive lenses. The Pentax 28-45 f4.5 sells for over $1,000. You probably couldn't sell an equivalent FF lens for much over $750. At the higher price point, Pentax can use higher quality glass, which leads to better rendering, a higher quality of sharpness, and more life-like pictures on the 645 platform.

Some years ago someone posted pixel-peaking crops from the 645D with the DFA 55 alongside crops from the Nikon D810 and the 58/1.4, the same subject at equivalent apertures. The 645D images were easily superior. Then they posted crops of the D810 with the Ziess Otus lens. The differences between the two crops were suddenly negligible, with the 645D images perhaps a hair better. It's more the lenses than it is the larger sensor.
01-30-2019, 02:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
It would be interesting to see a comparison between them, especially with the K1 in PS or DPS mode. But single shot, I still think the Z would have the edge on this, due to sensor size and thus tonal qualities.
Thank you for your quick reply. I am totally happy with the K1 especially at base ISO. The DR is fantastic but I still wanted to see a side-by-side with the 645Z. Just curious to see actual images from the two cameras mainly to see if the 645Z DR is that much better than K1. I expose for the highlights and try to pull the detail out of the shadows in post. The article is showing amazing shadow recovery. I am not sure if the K1 is that good or the DR is that wide compared to the Z.

Thanks again.
02-08-2019, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #14
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to attend a photo talk by Ole Henrik next week. I expect my images will look like his after that!