Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 77 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2019, 04:08 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

They are thinking about the hard Brexit at end of march and don't know who in England can afford cameras with all the taxes on foreign goods.

02-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by ne! Quote
It's an interesting observation and it makes sense. Before the internet, the way to get your latest wares in front of the public was press coverage at a trade show, these days there are of course lots of other ways to generate buzz.
... none of which Ricoh/Pentax seem interested in either.
Do they have a marketing department? Maybe there is no one to send to a trade show.
02-05-2019, 07:44 PM - 5 Likes   #18

Ricoh skipped the Photo Plus Expo in NYC a couple times a few years back. Same arm waving, shouts of "the sky is falling" from the F.U.D. merchants. And look - Pentax and Ricoh are still around - and have been back to the Expo. Fight the battles you can win otherwise:

PentaxIsDooomed™
02-05-2019, 10:02 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
It appears from the exhibitor list that Ricoh/Pentax are not going to be exhibiting at the UK's biggest camera show at the NEC next month. Sad.
The other main camera manufacturers all seem to be there, as do companies like Irix who are supplying excellent (in my view) lenses for Pentax. (Retailer's supplying Pentax are slowly dropping away, thank goodness for the excellent SRS).

I wonder why Ricoh have not chosen to be there this year. I suppose it could be that the show is spawning off some of the available area to something called video ( ) and they are not (wisely, in my view ) in that arena. I suppose it could be that the 'train set' is not available (in joke) or maybe they just don't see the point.

Whatever, I can't at the moment see much point in going to the show. I'm not interested in video, or drones. Why would I want to see Canikon's mirrorless gamble ( ) ? The talks seem a little samey and I don't need any more accessories. But if Ricoh were there I could handle their equipment that I might then be more tempted to buy, but with their no show it looks like I'll pass this year even with my free ticket. However, I do want to see Irix's new 150mm ... Damn ! All that way just to handle their nice new lens ...

This is not really a moan at Ricoh's no show, as I recognise the brand's niche position, but I would like to support them and other suppliers and retailers at shows like this. Sad ...
Never mind the trade shows. I can't even find Pentax/Ricoh on any physical store shelves around town any more. Nikon, Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus...everybody is there except Pentax/Ricoh. If it's not even on the shelves, there's no way the average buyer would even consider it. It's like they've completely given up.

02-05-2019, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EFats Quote
Never mind the trade shows. I can't even find Pentax/Ricoh on any physical store shelves around town any more. Nikon, Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus...everybody is there except Pentax/Ricoh. If it's not even on the shelves, there's no way the average buyer would even consider it. It's like they've completely given up.
B&Ms are dead, EFats, online's the way to go, as far as the new generation of consumers goes.

I'm like you, have an affection from my youth for shops, such as book and record stores, even videotape rental places, but that's all very yesterday.
02-05-2019, 11:44 PM - 4 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You have to look at trends. The trend here is that Canon are pulling out of franchise, the former Canon shop become General Camera shop and half of the other shops have closed. The only shops that remain in town are making most of their sales online, doing like Adorama, BH and Amazon! The turnover is too slim for a single brick & mortar only shop to survive. Pentax are doing the right things for the size they have.

---------- Post added 06-02-19 at 07:47 ----------

BTW, I don't see how this post is a news or rumor. Is there a dedicated forum section for FUD and negativity ( with a flush button to clean up the web server once in a while to prevent the bad smell to rise up other sections of the forum ) ?

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-05-2019 at 11:51 PM.
02-06-2019, 01:02 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Is there a dedicated forum section for FUD and negativity ( with a flush button to clean up the web server once in a while to prevent the bad smell to rise up other sections of the forum ) ?
I agree. It's about time we had a FUD section!

02-06-2019, 01:11 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't think I started it off as overtly negative, rather it was slightly newsy for UK readers.
PS I'm not a Pentax doom and gloom purveyor - more pragmatist at heart, really :-)
02-06-2019, 01:20 AM - 3 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I don't think I started it off as overtly negative, rather it was slightly newsy for UK readers.PS I'm not a Pentax doom and gloom purveyor - more pragmatist at heart, really :-)
Something to be aware of, people from all over Europe buy at SRS, or Amazon.fr.it.de.es.uk, and others... thousands of customers are scattered all over the places, it's hard to have a general Pentax meeting at one place in the UK since customers may prefer to save UK exhibition flight ticket money for a new lens or camera. Imagine, out of thousand customers of SRS, only 5 customers go to the exhibition, having Pentax execs travel and spend days there is a waste of time and money.

Being pragmatic is realizing how the world is now compared to what it was 20 years ago, it is to realize that selling have been vitalized by ubiquitous internet access, now you can even browse for Pentax product on a mobile phone at any time and from anywhere. For a lot of things it is now possible to order online in a few clicks in the evening and have it delivered at your door, instead of driving for 30 to 45minutes up to a shop during working hours and realize the product isn't in stock, go back to work 30 to 45minutes and have lost 1h30 for nothing. The new way of buying products is to read specifications, read reviews and opinions of people who have used the same product, order online, unbox it without damaging the packing, try it , keep it or return it immediately if you realize it is not what you expected. Guess why are amazon warehouse deals. That's how people buy.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-06-2019 at 01:33 AM.
02-06-2019, 02:38 AM   #25
Pentaxian

For what it's worth, the last 4 years, Ricoh has been present on Photo Days in Brussels.
This a small show and quite recent (maybe 10 years top) but seems to be ok. It even moved to bigger buildings since last year.

Ricoh doesn't seem to be present this year though.

This year will be 15th-17th of March.
Photo Days – Le salon de la photographie
02-06-2019, 04:52 AM   #26

"Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens."

Photo Plus Expo - PentaxForums.com
Pentax / Ricoh not on exhibitors list for this month's Photo Plus Expo - PentaxForums.com
Ricoh skipping October 2014 pdn Photo Plus Expo, Again... - PentaxForums.com
02-06-2019, 08:16 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

True: if it wasn't for a few merchants, I don't know if I would keep Pentax kits. Adorama and B&H are godsends. KEH, Roberts and Samy's have been good as well for used or refurbished/used gear. What I can't fathom is, I have to travel over 80 miles to get to some of these stores to sample the cameras. Not one Photo store in the Philly area is an authorized seller. I mean at least try and market the Pentax K-70 at Best Buy to get some recognition. What's the worst thing that happens? You sell it elsewhere--have a 12 days of Xmas blow-out on your web site.

It seems that RICOH should pay Pentax Forums for all the marketing they manage to do inadvertently.
02-06-2019, 08:52 AM   #28
Banned

It seems that Ricoh-Imaging isn't attending Professional Imaging in The Netherlands either.

Professional Imaging 2019 – ?23 – 24 – 25 MAART de Loods Nijkerk
02-06-2019, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

The only thing that seems to matter much these days is can you match the best price on-line. A situation where people come and look at cameras in your store and then go home and find the best deal is clearly not in the interest of store owners. My take is, maintaining a store front and inventory to fill it is a less effective model than filling orders from the Pentax warehouse for online shoppers.
02-06-2019, 08:56 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Something to be aware of, people from all over Europe buy at SRS, or Amazon.fr.it.de.es.uk, and others... thousands of customers are scattered all over the places, it's hard to have a general Pentax meeting at one place in the UK since customers may prefer to save UK exhibition flight ticket money for a new lens or camera. Imagine, out of thousand customers of SRS, only 5 customers go to the exhibition, having Pentax execs travel and spend days there is a waste of time and money.

Being pragmatic is realizing how the world is now compared to what it was 20 years ago, it is to realize that selling have been vitalized by ubiquitous internet access, now you can even browse for Pentax product on a mobile phone at any time and from anywhere. For a lot of things it is now possible to order online in a few clicks in the evening and have it delivered at your door, instead of driving for 30 to 45minutes up to a shop during working hours and realize the product isn't in stock, go back to work 30 to 45minutes and have lost 1h30 for nothing. The new way of buying products is to read specifications, read reviews and opinions of people who have used the same product, order online, unbox it without damaging the packing, try it , keep it or return it immediately if you realize it is not what you expected. Guess why are amazon warehouse deals. That's how people buy.
My thirty-year-old daughter was surprised to hear that I prefer to hold something before I purchase it. Even for a camera, she would be perfectly comfortable purchasing it sight unseen, especially from someone with a 'good' return policy {such as B&H}.