Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 77 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2019, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No sign of Ricoh/Pentax at the UK's biggest camera fest.

It appears from the exhibitor list that Ricoh/Pentax are not going to be exhibiting at the UK's biggest camera show at the NEC next month. Sad.
The other main camera manufacturers all seem to be there, as do companies like Irix who are supplying excellent (in my view) lenses for Pentax. (Retailer's supplying Pentax are slowly dropping away, thank goodness for the excellent SRS).

I wonder why Ricoh have not chosen to be there this year. I suppose it could be that the show is spawning off some of the available area to something called video ( ) and they are not (wisely, in my view ) in that arena. I suppose it could be that the 'train set' is not available (in joke) or maybe they just don't see the point.

Whatever, I can't at the moment see much point in going to the show. I'm not interested in video, or drones. Why would I want to see Canikon's mirrorless gamble ( ) ? The talks seem a little samey and I don't need any more accessories. But if Ricoh were there I could handle their equipment that I might then be more tempted to buy, but with their no show it looks like I'll pass this year even with my free ticket. However, I do want to see Irix's new 150mm ... Damn ! All that way just to handle their nice new lens ...

This is not really a moan at Ricoh's no show, as I recognise the brand's niche position, but I would like to support them and other suppliers and retailers at shows like this. Sad ...

02-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Some shows have trouble to draw attention and to help businesses to excel. Photokina is in big trouble, photo companies are not doing great...
Maybe Pentax has not much news to present? Maybe they are just holding back?
02-05-2019, 12:24 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can't speak for the photographic show at the NEC but I have been attending the motor sport equivalent for the last 15 years.

Once again this year it has shrunk, a trend which has been clearly evident over the last 5-7 years. Several businesses I know have stopped
exhibiting because of the high cost in terms of stand space/staff/accommodation/travel - in short the benefit is not enough to balance that cost.
I have no idea why Pentax/Ricoh made this decision but it I would not be surprised if their analysis showed insufficient pay back.

Hopefully they will have some innovative alternative marketing ideas which are more effective.
02-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #4
ne!
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
I can't speak for the photographic show at the NEC but I have been attending the motor sport equivalent for the last 15 years.

Once again this year it has shrunk, a trend which has been clearly evident over the last 5-7 years.
It's an interesting observation and it makes sense. Before the internet, the way to get your latest wares in front of the public was press coverage at a trade show, these days there are of course lots of other ways to generate buzz.

02-05-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote

Once again this year it has shrunk, a trend which has been clearly evident over the last 5-7 years. Several businesses I know have stopped
exhibiting because of the high cost in terms of stand space/staff/accommodation/travel - in short the benefit is not enough to balance that cost.
I have no idea why Pentax/Ricoh made this decision but it I would not be surprised if their analysis showed insufficient pay back.

Hopefully they will have some innovative alternative marketing ideas which are more effective.
Bob, I fear you are correct. I've been exhibiting my photos at shows etc for a few years and the numbers attending have steadily dropped off. The fewer visitors also seem to be using the events as entertainment more (nothing wrong with this) than buying as they used to. However, these shows are a showcase and it's hard to quantify their worth if direct show sales are not taken at the event. Who'd be a marketeer when there's so many possible channels to get the message out ?
02-05-2019, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
It appears from the exhibitor list that Ricoh/Pentax are not going to be exhibiting at the UK's biggest camera show at the NEC next month. Sad.
The other main camera manufacturers all seem to be there, as do companies like Irix who are supplying excellent (in my view) lenses for Pentax. (Retailer's supplying Pentax are slowly dropping away, thank goodness for the excellent SRS).

I wonder why Ricoh have not chosen to be there this year. I suppose it could be that the show is spawning off some of the available area to something called video ( ) and they are not (wisely, in my view ) in that arena. I suppose it could be that the 'train set' is not available (in joke) or maybe they just don't see the point.

Whatever, I can't at the moment see much point in going to the show. I'm not interested in video, or drones. Why would I want to see Canikon's mirrorless gamble ( ) ? The talks seem a little samey and I don't need any more accessories. But if Ricoh were there I could handle their equipment that I might then be more tempted to buy, but with their no show it looks like I'll pass this year even with my free ticket. However, I do want to see Irix's new 150mm ... Damn ! All that way just to handle their nice new lens ...

This is not really a moan at Ricoh's no show, as I recognise the brand's niche position, but I would like to support them and other suppliers and retailers at shows like this. Sad ...
Very well said. The reality of this is that Ricoh probably has nothing new to show off at this point except for the 2 lenses they released last week. No new camera on the horizon. though the consensus is that they released the K-1ii less than a year go and the people here at the Forum are pining for a new APS-c (the KP was released in 2017 and it overlapped with the K-3ii until they sold out) prosumer model. The natives are pining for the K-3iii, but I doubt they'll get it this year. I think when Ricoh built the K-3/ii series to be rated for 200,000 minimum shutter clicks, they knew it was going to be a long time before replacement. Case in point: the KP is only rated for 100,000 minimum, while the new K-1ii is rated at 300,000 minimum. Interesting back story, I think.
02-05-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think this is true of conventions in a lot of industries. I'm in healthcare IT, and even though my company is very large and very profitable, we've backed off on our trade show presence. The ROI just isn't there.

02-05-2019, 02:03 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ne! Quote
It's an interesting observation and it makes sense. Before the internet, the way to get your latest wares in front of the public was press coverage at a trade show, these days there are of course lots of other ways to generate buzz.
Trade shows that are open to the public and promoting various wares seem to have dropped off in my city over the past number of years. I recall new car shows back in the 1950's...were regarded as events to attend, even by those who weren't that interested in the latest GM, Ford or BMC, etc. car. Every manufacturer from Austin-Healey to Cadillac had a display area, with well dressed, local dealer salesmen and their brochures at the ready...even some displays with elegantly gowned models drawing crowds to the larger booths showing the latest Chrysler New Yorker...or Corvette Sting Ray.

Invariably there would be entertainment featuring a 'name' American or British entertainer belting out a few tunes to the delight of the crowds. The lights would dim, the crowds would hush and take their seats to listen and watch the half hour show...7 pm and 9 pm.

The car show event would be at the hockey arena...sans ice..and the biggest hall by far in the city. But that was back in the 1950's and 1960's...now interest seems to have dropped off. Internet, computers, ease of acquiring all the info you need about a product with the stroke of a few computer keys...seems to be the new way. Certainly easier getting all this info in the comfort of your own home, but I do miss the bustle of the crowd, seeing the product there... at it's best... on a display platform, while looking at the brochure, talking to the sales people.

Things have changed. Probably a lot cheaper and much less effort to expend promoting a product on the internet, rather than setting up, manning displays, keeping the product clean and appealing, etc.

Just my guess.
02-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I can understand that customer feel bad about camera companies not being present in the UK, but I could say the same here why Ricoh is not exhibiting in my city? Am I not an important customer that they should buy flight tickets and pay hotels and restaurants for seeing me Mr Very Important customer? Ricoh won't exhibit in Austria, sad.

People should understand what those exhibitions are for. No meaningful leverage on customer base. Domain specific exhibitions are aimed at meetings new distributors who may be interested to qualify as new distributors for the brand. Camera business not growing, there aren't many new distributor for cameras, if any. Contacts are already known by camera companies. SRS already been visited several times this year by Ricoh Imaging camera sales person. CP+ will still be of interest because such event is large enough to attract reporters / potential internet reviewers.

---------- Post added 05-02-19 at 22:36 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
The reality of this is that Ricoh probably has nothing new to show off at this point except for the 2 lenses they released last week.
I don't think that's the point, whether Ricoh has something new or not is irrelevant for deciding whether being at an exhibition is worth the money or not. I used to run my own company, and I would spend time and money to go to an trade fair if it wasn't going to produce enough leverage on my business.

---------- Post added 05-02-19 at 22:54 ----------

But the question is: Will this thread improves Pentax business?

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-05-2019 at 02:41 PM.
02-05-2019, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lets face it. With the internet, YouTube, and other media available that cost little to nothing the trade show is a dionsaur. High cost in materials, high cost in travel, high cost in space rental, and high staff costs equate to a poor choice for many industries these days.
02-05-2019, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Retailer's supplying Pentax are slowly dropping away,
there's an increasing trend all round to act like Pentax no longer exists - I notice no Pentax products in Amateur Photographer's best --- lists, and AP used to be enthusiastic about Pentax, and their existence is routinely ignored by most YouTubers etc - it's a trend that has really started to bite in the last year or so.

Last edited by ffking; 02-06-2019 at 12:19 AM.
02-05-2019, 03:12 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

If companies get their money back from an event (trade shows cost thousands) they do it.

It just says a lot about trade shows, brand ambassadors, bricks and mortar stores, and the declining camera market as a whole.

Last edited by clackers; 02-05-2019 at 07:45 PM.
02-05-2019, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #13
Banned

It is a waist of money. CP+ is for Ricoh important to the home base, but all other shows could be cancelled.
02-05-2019, 03:16 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If Ricoh were to announce a new camera right now, it would be spread worldwide within 30 minutes. Trade shows were places where manufacturers could talk to the media and the media could spread the word. No need for that anymore. If one were to pick up an issue of Wired or Time magazines and compare them to what they were 20 years ago they would be shocked. It is all part of the same reality.
02-05-2019, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Lets face it. With the internet, YouTube, and other media available that cost little to nothing the trade show is a dionsaur. High cost in materials, high cost in travel, high cost in space rental, and high staff costs equate to a poor choice for many industries these days.
That I agree with...It's simply marketing and advertising....I think because RICOH is a major player in Japan, they always attend Photokina. There are certain industry shows you really need to appear at to remain viable...I guess we are the "below the 5%" Pentax nation that yearn for more followers so the brand stays viable. At least I do.