Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Latest LR update - is Pentax excluded?

There was an update to LR today using AI to enhance the RAW conversion process, but the description seems to indicate that Pentax isn't one of the beneficiaries. Wonder if this is correct interpretation.

Adobe's latest Lightroom CC uses AI to 'enhance' RAW images

02-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure I read it that way, just typical poor journalism. If this supports Sony sensors no reason for it to not support Pentax. Updating now so we will see.
02-12-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It supports Pentax DNG, but not pixel shift.

I've tried it; doesn't seem to help much on the landscapes and wildlife shots I tried (and consistently crashed on one cropped Pentax DNG shot). Enhance fine details in raw images

Enhanced detail about "Enhanced Detail" is here: Enhance Details | Adobe Blog
02-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, the "enhance detail" function is located under Photos>enhance details. I selected a Pentax DNG file and used the enhanced function on it. The estimated time to "enhance" was shown as 40 seconds. Clicked the button and waited. The computer created a new DNG with the term 'enhanced' appended to the file name. The image is completely black, and a second test resulted in the same black image.

I then tried to convert the Pentax DNG (version 1.2) into an Adobe DNG (version 1.4). The conversion worked fine but a test with the enhance detail function again resulted in a black image.

So I conclude @Spodeworld's conclusion was correct and Pentax was left out. Puzzling to me as it is supposed to work on a DNG file.

---------- Post added 02-12-19 at 04:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote

I've tried it; doesn't seem to help much on the landscapes and wildlife shots I tried (and consistently crashed on one cropped Pentax DNG shot). Enhance fine details in raw images

Enhanced detail about "Enhanced Detail" is here: Enhance Details | Adobe Blog
Did you do anything different to the file? Was it shot in DNG? What camera?

02-12-2019, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I don't think the article is saying it only works on those listed camera brands. It looks to me like the author is just giving some examples of Bayer sensors and an example of X-Trans sensors. Did they also leave out Panasonic, Leica, Phase One, Hasselblad, DJI, Sigma...?
02-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
What 'raw development' software does support pixel shift? {I was under the impression that is not common}
02-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It says 20 sec for me on a mac pro, but hangs at about 80% done. No further progress after 5 minutes.

UPDATE: Ha, it's done. A new enhanced version is there. It's not black. Perhaps jatrax's black image was just a placeholder before the file had been written; it takes way longer than advertised.

Damned if I can see any enhancements! The file was enlarged from 50 MB to 177.5 MB though.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 02-12-2019 at 06:35 PM.
02-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Maybe you’re right that those are only examples. It would be strange if they excluded Pentax from a key improvement.
QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
I don't think the article is saying it only works on those listed camera brands. It looks to me like the author is just giving some examples of Bayer sensors and an example of X-Trans sensors. Did they also leave out Panasonic, Leica, Phase One, Hasselblad, DJI, Sigma...?
02-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What 'raw development' software does support pixel shift? {I was under the impression that is not common}
FWIW, DXO photoLab2.0.0 says it supports the K-1II both PEF and DNG. Since I don't have a K-1II pixel shift image to test it with I'm not sure about Dynamic pixel Shift. The K-1 has been supported since ProOptics 11.2.0.
02-12-2019, 11:53 PM   #10

It works on my K-3II DNGs but the improvement is really subtle. I think you have to print large to see the difference, but this is slightly sharper and better if you take a close look. The result is probably more obvious on Fuji images as LR used to have a poor support (demosaicing) of Fuji RAWs.
02-13-2019, 03:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The new 'enhance detail' function works fine on the K-1 DNG's I tested it on - standard DNG, even in-camera HDR DNG. Very modest improvement in detail, but evident.

The best thing about this update is that finally I can actually see Lightroom making use of the GPU of the [modest, low-power] Nvidia GT 1030 video card in my photo PC to do real image processing. Compute intensive operations like detail enhance fly along on the GPU while the normal PC CPU sits practically idle.
02-13-2019, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

To quote Matt Kloskowski : "it's for pixel peepers". Or perhaps when you print very large, but even then there are better (image stacking) techniques to get a higher (and more accurate) resolution if you know up front you're going to be printing large. Matt did a little demo in his new features youtube video, and he actually had to zoom in 4:1 to see the artefacts the "enhance detail" improved on.

Wim
02-13-2019, 03:32 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not sure I read it that way, just typical poor journalism. If this supports Sony sensors no reason for it to not support Pentax. Updating now so we will see
Pentax is using Sony sensors so.... they are supported
02-13-2019, 04:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Ok, the "enhance detail" function is located under Photos>enhance details. I selected a Pentax DNG file and used the enhanced function on it. The estimated time to "enhance" was shown as 40 seconds. Clicked the button and waited. The computer created a new DNG with the term 'enhanced' appended to the file name. The image is completely black, and a second test resulted in the same black image.

I then tried to convert the Pentax DNG (version 1.2) into an Adobe DNG (version 1.4). The conversion worked fine but a test with the enhance detail function again resulted in a black image.

So I conclude @Spodeworld's conclusion was correct and Pentax was left out. Puzzling to me as it is supposed to work on a DNG file.

---------- Post added 02-12-19 at 04:12 PM ----------

Did you do anything different to the file? Was it shot in DNG? What camera?
was your Image black from the beginning?
02-13-2019, 05:02 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
was your Image black from the beginning?
Can we just move on from this? It works. He just didn't give it enough time to finish.