Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2019, 05:15 AM   #76
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
4. Will we see cheap FF camera this year?
I can guarantee that they will say "NO" to "cheap". Better question would ask about "less expensive FF camera".

02-14-2019, 06:08 AM   #77
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I can guarantee that they will say "NO" to "cheap". Better question would ask about "less expensive FF camera".
Cheap is from 1000 till 1300 USD. Less expensive than 2000 is vague...
02-14-2019, 06:09 AM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Laughs). That's great.
It will probably come faster than You could guess
02-14-2019, 06:10 AM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by Snafu711 Quote
Release of the DA* 11-18 was significantly delayed due to „assuring top quality“ (not sure about the exact term).

What were the biggest challenges during development of this lens?
I would be very interrested if you could ask for a Development Story for the DA* 11-18mm on the Star special site.

02-14-2019, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #80
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Cheap is from 1000 till 1300 USD. Less expensive than 2000 is vague...
This is a matter of nuance. In English, "cheap" implies low quality. My KP is not, would never be, a "cheap camera", but it was "inexpensive" at $700.

Last edited by reh321; 02-14-2019 at 06:41 AM.
02-14-2019, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #81

What are your thoughts on developing high quality (150-450 or better), but slow(er) lenses?

I don't mind the bulk, but paying 1399 USD/GPB/EUR just to have f2.8 in a 11-18, no thank you. Buildings and trees don't move fast enough to make it worth my money.
Keep it big if necessary, but bring the price down with the aperture, please.
02-14-2019, 06:55 AM - 2 Likes   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
If this feature existed, for example, maybe the camera would not let me capture a pixel shift image of a scene with a shutter speed of 1/500th; however, if I were to increase the shutter speed to say 1/8000th I could capture that image using pixel shift image.
The problem of motion blur with PixelShift images cannot be addressed with faster shutter speeds as the real issue is the delay between capturing all four frames sequentially.

The camera could still evaluate whether the existing motion would be tolerable given the known delay between the four PixelShift captures (which does not become progressively smaller anymore for shutter speeds exceeding the sync-speed).

P.S.: Another question to Ricoh could be to enquire how the work on the giant parabolic mirror designed to destroy DPReview headquarters is progressing (as any mirroless weapon wouldn't quite send the same message).
JUST JOKING.
02-14-2019, 07:36 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We will be conducting our usual Pentax interview at CP+ this year! What questions would you guys like us to ask?

As always, questions about future products will likely be met with "we can't answer that", so please be a bit more creative
Will Pentax do anything to assist retailers by getting more products "on the shelf " and in Stock so buyers can have an opportunity to "see & feel" more than just Cannon & Nikon and move away from "special order" when it comes to their products?

02-14-2019, 08:38 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
This is one of production facilities.. not Research and Development department. That is located in Japan.
RND will never be bigger than production...
02-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #85
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This is a matter of nuance. In English, "cheap" implies low quality. My KP is not, would never be, a "cheap camera", but it was "inexpensive" at $700.
It's philology
02-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #86
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Will Pentax do anything to assist retailers by getting more products "on the shelf " and in Stock so buyers can have an opportunity to "see & feel" more than just Cannon & Nikon and move away from "special order" when it comes to their products?
I asked this question a few years back at WPPI. Back then, the strategy was to move away from physical retailers (but continue promotional events), likely due to low return on investment. This would be a great question to ask again at a US-based show.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-14-2019, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that you've introduced the (insert name of new camera they've introduced at the show before you interview them here), can you tell us how you managed to fit every feature every Pentax user ever wanted in the perfect size package at such a low price?
02-14-2019, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #88
Pentaxian

What is Smart Vision (and Ricoh Imaging)'s role and position within Ricoh? What does Growth Strategy #2 means for Ricoh Imaging, and Pentax?
Can we confidently say Ricoh Imaging (and Pentax) survived the Ricoh RESURGENT phase, and Ricoh is committed to continue with consumer cameras?

Could you describe some of the challenges encountered since taking over Pentax - in integration with Ricoh's existing camera division, restructuring, etc.?

Any hint about why the product releases were slow in 2017-2018? With a DA* lens released in January, can we expect a more alert pace in the future?

Which of the more recent Pentax products were well received?
How about the accelerator? Can you confirm the K-1 upgrade was a success?

Every other brand is concentrating on mirrorless; still, the DSLRs make up for a majority of ILC sales.
How does Pentax fit into this picture? You are - for example - developing right now the D FA SLR lens line; does it mean you believe in a SLR future?
Will Pentax be the brand to revolutionize the SLR once again?

Pentax cameras are known for their excellent image quality, ruggedness, ergonomics, etc. Are you working on improving the few areas like autofocus, and performance in general?

I enjoy reading development stories and other such material. With the 100 years anniversary months apart, can we hope for a higher level of English communication?

Are there any plans to support Dynamic Pixel Shift in Pentax Digital Camera Utility? (i.e. in RAW mode).
02-14-2019, 11:19 AM - 5 Likes   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ddfrye Quote
Now that you've introduced the (insert name of new camera they've introduced at the show before you interview them here), can you tell us how you managed to fit every feature every Pentax user ever wanted in the perfect size package at such a low price?
That's a very good question. I already know one of the answers: when Pentax users wanted a EVF with an OVF and not, Pentax engineers decided to create the binocular finder: one eye gets an EVF , and the other eye gets the OVF, so that each Pentax user can switch from EVF to OVF by closing one of the two eyes, when you don't want to see anything close two eyes at the same time. (Headache pills will be included in the box of the new camera).
02-14-2019, 12:11 PM - 5 Likes   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's a very good question. I already know one of the answers: when Pentax users wanted a EVF with an OVF and not, Pentax engineers decided to create the binocular finder: one eye gets an EVF , and the other eye gets the OVF, so that each Pentax user can switch from EVF to OVF by closing one of the two eyes, when you don't want to see anything close two eyes at the same time. (Headache pills will be included in the box of the new camera).

I hope a menu item lets you configure which is which .... pirates with an eyepatch will appreciate the choice.

Closed Thread