Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
And thank them for not wasting time on video, mirrorless cameras or EVFs. Some of us just want a winning still-image producing machine.
This is not a unanimous opinion.
There are some here who believe that EVF results in a machine that is even more "winning".

02-13-2019, 05:22 PM   #32
Veteran Member

1. Any news on medium format? Lens, body updates released?

2. Any news on talking to capture one to get support for medium format such as the Z?

02-13-2019, 05:26 PM - 4 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

Ask about progress on a hybrid viewfinder.
02-13-2019, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #34
mee
Veteran Member

Where do you see Pentax going with respect to autofocus point count and more advanced tracking in the near future?

02-13-2019, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #35
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Two questions, neither will be answered.
1. What did Ricoh (i.e. Pentax) do to get so deep on the bad side of Phase One?
2. Why have you let Pentax Photo Gallery linger? Either fix it or kill it.
02-13-2019, 06:13 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Two questions, neither will be answered.
1. What did Ricoh (i.e. Pentax) do to get so deep on the bad side of Phase One?
2. Why have you let Pentax Photo Gallery linger? Either fix it or kill it.
With respect, if you think neither question will be answered, why post them? Is it simply to make a point and let members here know your thoughts? If so, I don't believe that was the point of the thread...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-13-2019 at 06:46 PM.
02-13-2019, 06:42 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Have there ever been considerations for crowdfunding to produce limited runs of modernized lenses and sought-after bodies (i.e. film GR's, film era star lenses etc.)?

Edit: by modernized, I mean updated coatings. I don't think Ricoh have enough resources to put towards developing new functionality in their legacy lens/optical designs (as we've seen with their FA 35/2 refresh).

Last edited by impossibro; 02-13-2019 at 08:01 PM. Reason: clarification
02-13-2019, 06:52 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by impossibro Quote
Have there ever been considerations for crowdfunding to produce limited runs of modernized lenses and sought-after bodies (i.e. film GR's, film era star lenses etc.)?
I’ve been wondering this, too...
I suspect they just don’t have the spare personnel for such a risky task, but it would be nice to hear it from them...

And there are a lot of directions that could go, from *lenses to film favorites to wacky recreations (Takumar 17mm f11 fisheye, anyone?)

-Eric
02-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Is Pentax open to making a more compact sized ( say K-5 II sized) full frame camera ?
02-13-2019, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
With the shrinking market for cameras in general, interchangeable lens cameras, and DSLR's specifically, where does Pentax see opportunities to differentiate themselves?
How did the conversion of K1's to K1ii go? Is this level of modularity something that Pentax will design their cameras for in the future?
Does Pentax believe that sensor technology is changing as fast as it has recently and if so, in what areas will these changes have the biggest impact on Pentax camera design?
Is the near monopoly of sensor production by Sony damaging to niche/smaller camera companies like Pentax?
02-13-2019, 06:59 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by impossibro Quote
This is a great question. A 250-600 lens with quick-shift...

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This is not a unanimous opinion.
There are some here who believe that EVF results in a machine that is even more "winning".
I never stated it as unanimous. I deliberately used the wording, "some of us..."
I certainly see the advantages, but I've used several cameras with EVFs and don't ever want to again due to the disadvantages.
02-13-2019, 07:37 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Forum Member

A few years back, Ricoh stated (in an PF-interview?) that they want to be number one regarding autofocus. Is Ricoh still aiming for that goal? How are you going to achieve it?
02-13-2019, 07:38 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Pentaxian

At CP+ 2013, when talking about the AF system of the K-5 II you stated "...right now in the development team we are looking to become number one in autofocus."

Is this still a goal?

Potentially, the statement was referring to AF precision. If so, has the goal been reached in that regard?

If the 2013 goal also included AF-C tracking performance, are there still efforts to invest into this area?

Background: The K-1 (II) is universally recognized as one of the best landscape cameras. However, some of the photography press deem it inadequate for dealing with moving objects, such that even wedding photography is considered to be outside the range of recommended applications for the K-1 (II).
02-13-2019, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

My question would be about increasing bus speed and imbedded RAM to allow the huge buffers many people whine about, as well as UHS 2 speeds for cards in future cameras. I know these are skirting the future products question but at least getting a hint as to their thoughts about these things would be good.
02-13-2019, 07:53 PM - 3 Likes   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
At CP+ 2013, when talking about the AF system of the K-5 II you stated "...right now in the development team we are looking to become number one in autofocus."

Is this still a goal?

Potentially, the statement was referring to AF precision. If so, has the goal been reached in that regard?

If the 2013 goal also included AF-C tracking performance, are there still efforts to invest into this area?

Background: The K-1 (II) is universally recognized as one of the best landscape cameras. However, some of the photography press deem it inadequate for dealing with moving objects, such that even wedding photography is considered to be outside the range of recommended applications for the K-1 (II).
In some cases such as AF performance experienced Pentax users obtain different (better?) results than typical reviewers, so that the reviews cast an overly negative opinion of the Pentax system. We often attribute this disparity of results to reviewers’ lack of familiarity with optimal settings for a task, such as Tracking AF.C. Does Pentax plan to publish White Papers such as how to set up a Pentax camera for optimal AF results (and perhaps why the camera works the way it does)? Nikon, at least, does this. Many features could have an associated White Paper.
Closed Thread