Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 122 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2019, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

The "accelerator unit" in the K-1 II has received mixed responses. Some welcome the reduced need for denoising in post-production, some take issue with RAW data being manipulated, preventing optimal results when using image stacking in astro-photography, for instance.

A very, very influential website took such issue with the non-optional smoothing of RAW data of the K-1 II that it denied the K-1 II a recommendation. This surely has negatively impacted on international K-1 II sales. The same website had recommended the K-1 earlier (mainly critising its lacking AF-C performance but otherwise recognising its excellence).

Is Ricoh considering to give users the option to have the "accelerator" processing be applied to JPEG only, leaving the RAW data intact?

Background: Image processing technology is continually improving (as Ricoh demonstrated with their processing themselves). Optimal results of future image processing algorithms depend on unaltered RAW data. As soon as the RAW data has been processed (e.g., smoothed by denoising), not all future algorithms will yield optimal results. Even present applications like image stacking are compromised due to the inevitable loss of information in pre-processed RAW data.

02-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #47

Photos: Albums
When does the K02 get released?
02-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who will do you think will win the Stanley Cup?
02-13-2019, 08:41 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Will there be a K3II successor in the near future (blink once for yes, twice for no)?
"we can't answer that" ... quote from Adam's post.

02-13-2019, 09:01 PM - 2 Likes   #50

(A) We can't answer that question...…………..
(B) We are watching the market...…………….
(C) It's under heavy development...…………..

Ask your question and insert A B or C at the end and you will have the complete Ricoh interview, right here before the interview actually takes place.
02-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #51

Actually now we are seeing mirrorless cameras growing in size I think a Pentax mirrorless in k mount would make sense now if it had a EVF.
02-13-2019, 09:37 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Ask about progress on a hybrid viewfinder.
That’s probably a leading question, or at least one that impinges on their commercial confidentiality, but I think it should be asked, regardless, if only to show that there are quite a few current users who are interested in it.

Another question that they may be reluctant to answer directly, but which may give us a lead on 35FF development, as much as stilling some of the resistance here, is: “Has the K-1ii exceeded your sales expectations, as did the K-1?”

Yet another question that I think some people would also be interested in knowing the answer to: “Has the KP succeeded in the marketplace, and is there any possibility of a further development of it?”

02-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wisent Quote
A few years back, Ricoh stated (in an PF-interview?) that they want to be number one regarding autofocus. Is Ricoh still aiming for that goal?
Answer: "We are still wanting in that department."
02-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Does Pentax plan to continue to improve Pixels Shift in their future cameras?

I switched to Pentax to get Pixel Shift on the K3II. Then I purchased a number of K-1 cameras to get Pixel Shift on full frame.

Since Pentax first came out with Pixel Shift, other camera makers (e.g. Sony) have also jumped on the Pixel Shift wagon and are now offering Pixel Shift. Panasonic has come out with new full frame cameras that use 8 shifted images for their Pixel Shift images (Pentax uses only 4 images). While Pentax's 5 year old Pixel Shift technology is good, I suspect that it's no longer class leading.

Computational photography is the future of photography. The major problem with Pentax's current version of Pixel Shift is that it requires lots of time and effort in post (either using layer masks, or RawTherapee) to eliminate motion artifacts from Pixel Shift images. By using computational photography, would it not be possible for the camera itself to get rid of Pixel Shift motion artifacts "in camera"? Does Pentax have any plans to use computational photography (or any other method) to eliminate Pixel Shift motion artifacts "in camera"?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-13-2019 at 10:13 PM.
02-13-2019, 10:02 PM   #55
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Using computational photography, would it not be possible for the camera itself to get rid of Pixel Shift motion artifacts "in camera"? If a future Pentax camera could do that, I think that it would be a revolutionary development that would drive many photographers to Pentax.
Totally agree about the important role of computational photography, but isn't this already available, both via motion correction & dynamic pixel shift? The next step would be to make it smarter so that the scene itself doesn't have to be perfectly stationary to benefit from the additional exposures.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-13-2019, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP is a great camera. One downside is battery power which is somewhat restricted. Especially in the field, for astro and long time exposures and extensive usage of the display the following developments would be great.

- It would be nice to get a „connection kit“ that would allow to connect to a standard power bank.
- In addition it would be great if we could load the battery (akku) in camera.

What do you think about offering future cameras with such attributes?
02-13-2019, 10:15 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Totally agree about the important role of computational photography, but isn't this already available, both via motion correction & dynamic pixel shift? The next step would be to make it smarter so that the scene itself doesn't have to be perfectly stationary to benefit from the additional exposures.
1. "Motion correction" does NOT eliminate pixel shift motion artifacts (at best, it reduces them).

2. Dynamic pixel shift is handicapped by not having any RAW processing support. As such, Dynamic pixel shift has no value to me.

3. Interesting comment. I would love to have a Pentax camera that could detect unacceptable motion in a scene and prevent the capture of a Pixel Shift image if the motion was too great (like now how you can program the shutter to not trip if the subject is not in focus). This tech would need to factor in not only the speed and type of motion, but also the shutter speed. Then, if I was able to capture an image in Pixel Shift, I'd at least know that there were no motion artifacts in the image (currently, the motion artifacts often are only visible after you return home and view the image at 100% on your computer monitor). If this feature existed, for example, maybe the camera would not let me capture a pixel shift image of a scene with a shutter speed of 1/500th; however, if I were to increase the shutter speed to say 1/8000th I could capture that image using pixel shift image.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-13-2019 at 10:34 PM.
02-13-2019, 10:26 PM   #58
Veteran Member

My question is: with the current situation of new middle format players entering the game, is a digital 6x7 a consideration? Think of an enlarged K-1 to fit bayonet, sensor and SR. Must not by mirrorless since the pro market where such a camera would be aiming at may have other priorities (think of the 6x7 pro shooters in the past). Ricoh / Pentax could be a game changer again, like with digital 645.

Last edited by yucafrita; 02-13-2019 at 10:33 PM.
02-13-2019, 11:20 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
My question is: with the current situation of new middle format players entering the game, is a digital 6x7 a consideration?
Doesn’t a full frame 645 make more sense?
02-13-2019, 11:31 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Doesn’t a full frame 645 make more sense?
This would be probably quicker finished. A suitable question to Ricoh.
Closed Thread