Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2019, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #91
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
I bought the WG-60 and love everything about it except image quality. It's ok-ish but I don't know how much this sensor size is able to deliver (I'm spoiled by the K-1). It's iq is the same or slightly better as my iPhone 5s which is quite old butI've always been fine with it for quick-and-easy shots.
However, the WG-60 has some advantages over a smartphone and from the outdoor perspective the WG indeed are competitors to them if they can get the iq up to the latest smartphones.
I hope people realise how wrong this is with the WG-SERIES. I bought a new smartphone last black friday to have a better camera then my previous one. So I spend money on a high-end smartphone. No way people are going to be happy with a mediocre camera. My smartphone can do a dip in the water as well since it has IP68 designation.

02-21-2019, 02:40 AM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
10 more days to wait...
You know that buying a couple of k mount lenses can relief LBA anxiety for a few days/weeks, so when you come back the details hidden behind the registration code name will be revealed (unleashed).

---------- Post added 21-02-19 at 10:43 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We have strong indications of a FF f/4 zoom in spring (before May 1st is spring to me) - that would be the prototype I expect them to show in two weeks.
Absolutely, at some point further MTF testing in the lab doesn't bring any more knowledge about how the lens perform with true colors. I agree that the cherry blossom season in Japan is the best time to release a new 70-200 f4 macro for testing it on real cherry blossom scenes. Hello Ricoh, do you agree?
02-21-2019, 03:00 AM - 4 Likes   #93
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I hope people realise how wrong this is with the WG-SERIES. I bought a new smartphone last black friday to have a better camera then my previous one. So I spend money on a high-end smartphone. No way people are going to be happy with a mediocre camera. My smartphone can do a dip in the water as well since it has IP68 designation.
Yes. But what about if you hand your high-end smartphone to a kid, they go paddling in rock pools, they drop it on a rock, smashing the screen, and it bounces into the water. You lose your main communication device and you have to pay $1,000 to replace it.

You might not drop the WG in the first place, because it has a grip. If the same does happen to a WG camera, it stands a good chance of survival. Even if it breaks, it’s not the end of the world. I’m sure that a large part of the appeal of rugged cameras is their relative expendability over a smartphone, not their image quality.
02-21-2019, 03:08 AM   #94
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that it's dead-end to produce WG cameras in the era of smartphones.

02-21-2019, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's no reason to be upset. Pentax will release at least one new APS-C camera this year.

Clearly there is still a market for compact cameras. It is smaller than it was, but it still exists. I also doubt that Pentax spends much time in designing these sort of cameras. I imagine they are made at a Chinese factory and Pentax chooses the body type and ca tweak specs to a certain extent. Certainly they aren't tying up a bunch of effort to generate these cameras.

As far as RAW goes, I just think that it probably wouldn't change things that much. Buffer would probably be really slow to empty and there are probably a lot of lens corrections and things like that that are baked into the camera jpegs that you'd have to figure out if you shoot RAW. I don't care if they added it, I just don't think most compact camera users are wishing for that.
02-21-2019, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There's no reason to be upset. Pentax will release at least one new APS-C camera this year.
But! But! If they didn't made the WG-6, they would free resources for an APS-C flagship, two lower tiered APS-C cameras, a new full frame of at least D850 level, full APS-C and FF K-mount lens lines, and a mirrorless line comprising everything from 1" sensors to medium format - and associated lenses!

Personal feelings aside, industrial cameras are an important part of Smart Vision - the G900 is needed. And, making a less rugged version of it - the WG-6 - makes a lot of sense.
Don't put all your eggs into a single basket, especially when you can't agree which basket
02-21-2019, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I agree. I occasionally still use my Optio W10 when I want to take pictures under water for fun, I don’t want to take risks with my iPhone 7.

I really, really would like something like the GR with underwater capability - a compact APS-C camera that I could use on the beach and in the pool just like my extremely durable 13 year old W10.

02-21-2019, 04:11 AM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I really, really would like something like the GR with underwater capability - a compact APS-C camera that I could use on the beach and in the pool just like my extremely durable 13 year old W10.
Too bad it can't really be made - the retractable lens would have to go (the most obvious change - but it would need a completely different body); it would no longer be the compact APS-C camera we know.

Hopefully someone will make a waterproof case for it.
02-21-2019, 05:09 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Too bad it can't really be made - the retractable lens would have to go (the most obvious change - but it would need a completely different body); it would no longer be the compact APS-C camera we know.
Sure, it wouldn’t be the same body.

Has Nikon completely dropped the “Nikon 1” line now? So the only(?) really waterproof ILC (Nikon 1 AW1) is also gone?
So there might be a market opportunity for a high quality camera suitable for snorkling :-)
02-21-2019, 05:16 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think that it's dead-end to produce WG cameras in the era of smartphones.
Right, and because your argumentation is so well supported, I try to expand it here with some factual assesment of this comparison ;-)

Ricoh G800SE

FEATURES01Tough - Tough enough for the roughest worksite > almost no phone
FEATURES02Smart - A high-performance camera for your worksite > computational imaging in phones has some benefits, but lenswise a camera should have advantages
FEATURES03Wide&Close - High-performance lens handles a wide range of subjects > well optical zoom vs. (most often) no optical zoom
FEATURES04Versatile - Varied functions for a variety of situations > depends
FEATURES05Networked - Connect for seamless data management > advantage phone
FEATURES06Enhanceable - Two options make the camera even more versatile > there are accessories for phones, but none with IP64 for system
FEATURES07Secure - Create images that can be trusted; prevent leaks > I don't know any phone with this

The new WG6 is a consumer version of the follow up of this industrial camera, develpment costs probably very low.

Give me just one reason why they should not bring it to market?
02-21-2019, 05:21 AM - 4 Likes   #101
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nokishita Camera published some specifications of the Ricoh WG-6 together with nine pictures of the camera.

【噂】リコーが間もなく発表する商品リスト【画像追加】|軒下デジカメ情報局
  • 5x optical zoom lens 28-140mm
  • 4K video
  • Tough design that allows 2-hour continuous shooting at a depth of 20m
  • 0.8x wide conversion lens 'DW-5' (sold separately)
  • Colours: Black / Orange
  • Scheduled release date: late March, 2019
  • Street price (discounted and including the 8% Japanese VAT): ¥51,300 (i.e. $430 and €450).

Click to enlarge.

The last picture shows the DW-5 0.8x wide conversion lens.

02-21-2019, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
FEATURES02Smart - A high-performance camera for your worksite > computational imaging in phones has some benefits, but lenswise a camera should have advantages
I'd also add that computation photography in phones is driven by social media needs,not business needs
02-21-2019, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #103
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nokishita Camera also published some specifications of the Ricoh G900 together with three pictures of the camera.
  • 20MP BSI CMOS sensor
  • Chemicals-resistant in addition to being waterproof, dustproof and shockproof
  • Compliant with certification standards for digital imaging to document building standards.
  • 6.5GB internal memory to store images
  • Scheduled release date: late May, 2019
  • Street price (discounted and including the 8% Japanese VAT): ¥89,100 (i.e. $745 and €790).

02-21-2019, 05:32 AM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Nokishita Camera also published some specifications of the Ricoh G900 together with three pictures of the camera.
20MP BSI CMOS sensor
Chemicals-resistant in addition to being waterproof, dustproof and shockproof
Compliant with certification standards for digital imaging to document building standards.
6.5GB internal memory to store images
Scheduled release date: late May, 2019
Street price (discounted and including the 8% Japanese VAT): ¥89,100 (i.e. $745 and €790).
Seems to me very intelligent camera for them to be making in terms not just of niche but also cross-over technology potential

Last edited by ffking; 02-21-2019 at 06:07 AM. Reason: typo
02-21-2019, 06:05 AM   #105
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Right, and because your argumentation is so well supported, I try to expand it here with some factual assesment of this comparison ;-)

Ricoh G800SE
Who cares about this camera? 100 people in Japan?