Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 261 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2019, 06:08 AM   #106
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Tough enough for the roughest worksite > almost no phone
A high-performance camera for your worksite > computational imaging in phones has some benefits, but lenswise a camera should have advantages
High-performance lens handles a wide range of subjects > well optical zoom vs. (most often) no optical zoom
Varied functions for a variety of situations > depends
Two options make the camera even more versatile > there are accessories for phones, but none with IP64 for system
Create images that can be trusted; prevent leaks > I don't know any phone with this
You know the market of smartphones not much...Easy to find info in searching system.

Last edited by ogl; 02-21-2019 at 10:48 AM.
02-21-2019, 06:42 AM   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
You know the market smartphones not much...Easy to find info in searching system.
@ogl
what? your argumentation line does not get more stringent, sorry
02-21-2019, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #108
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Right, and because your argumentation is so well supported, I try to expand it here with some factual assesment of this comparison ;-)

Ricoh G800SE

FEATURES01Tough - Tough enough for the roughest worksite > almost no phone
FEATURES02Smart - A high-performance camera for your worksite > computational imaging in phones has some benefits, but lenswise a camera should have advantages
FEATURES03Wide&Close - High-performance lens handles a wide range of subjects > well optical zoom vs. (most often) no optical zoom
FEATURES04Versatile - Varied functions for a variety of situations > depends
FEATURES05Networked - Connect for seamless data management > advantage phone
FEATURES06Enhanceable - Two options make the camera even more versatile > there are accessories for phones, but none with IP64 for system
FEATURES07Secure - Create images that can be trusted; prevent leaks > I don't know any phone with this

The new WG6 is a consumer version of the follow up of this industrial camera, develpment costs probably very low.

Give me just one reason why they should not bring it to market?
I think this all comes down to wich sensor they put inside the camera. If it isn't any better then my smartphone........Well then it will be harder to find customers in the future. The market for compact camera went down from over 100 million units down to less then 7 million units this year and in that time Ricoh-Imaging didn't change the wg-series.
02-21-2019, 06:54 AM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Return of the Q
"Q" or "cul" in French means a$$ ... so here we go again.

02-21-2019, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #110
Pentaxian

FEATURES07Secure - Create images that can be trusted; prevent leaks > I don't know any phone with this
Huawei? <ducks>

---------- Post added 21-02-19 at 03:56 PM ----------

Who cares about this camera? 100 people in Japan?
You care a lot about it.

---------- Post added 21-02-19 at 03:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
"Q" or "cul" in French means a$$ ... so here we go again.
That is from an obscure language known as French
02-21-2019, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #111
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Yes. But what about if you hand your high-end smartphone to a kid, they go paddling in rock pools, they drop it on a rock, smashing the screen, and it bounces into the water. You lose your main communication device and you have to pay $1,000 to replace it.

You might not drop the WG in the first place, because it has a grip. If the same does happen to a WG camera, it stands a good chance of survival. Even if it breaks, it’s not the end of the world. I’m sure that a large part of the appeal of rugged cameras is their relative expendability over a smartphone, not their image quality.
When it comes down to this, you probably will buy the cheapest one and that is not one of the wg-series.

Both of your Kids can have a Panasonic instead of sharing one wg-60
Digitale camera kopen | Fotocamera Fototoestel | CameraNU.nl
02-21-2019, 07:12 AM - 2 Likes   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is not a camera for photography enthusiasts, the WG series has it's niche. I bought a WG (don't remember which one) for our Fire Marshal at work, It is used by several different people to record accidents, take photos of equipment needing repair, and a multitude of other problems/events. The people using it are fire inspectors and guards, none are photographers. It's been dropped and most likely dunked but it does the job. Other cameras they have had failed. My associate and myself use a K-S2 for our needs, that would be overkill for the uses of the WG.

02-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #113
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote

You care a lot about it.
In your dreams only
02-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There's no reason to be upset. Pentax will release at least one new APS-C camera this year.

Clearly there is still a market for compact cameras. It is smaller than it was, but it still exists. I also doubt that Pentax spends much time in designing these sort of cameras. I imagine they are made at a Chinese factory and Pentax chooses the body type and ca tweak specs to a certain extent. Certainly they aren't tying up a bunch of effort to generate these cameras.

As far as RAW goes, I just think that it probably wouldn't change things that much. Buffer would probably be really slow to empty and there are probably a lot of lens corrections and things like that that are baked into the camera jpegs that you'd have to figure out if you shoot RAW. I don't care if they added it, I just don't think most compact camera users are wishing for that.
EDITED: I have an Optio A10 A40 that has the K10D a12MP 1:1.7” CCD sensor, SR, and RAW or JPEG and a full menu of choices. My wife carries that camera in her purse. It went to the Holy Land last year. Pretty much peak compact camera tech.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-23-2019 at 04:01 PM.
02-21-2019, 11:26 AM - 2 Likes   #115
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have an Optio A10 that has the K10D sensor (...)
Ahem! The Pentax Optio A10 has an 8MP 1/1.8" sensor, the K10D a 10MP APS-C sensor...
02-21-2019, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There's no reason to be upset. Pentax will release at least one new APS-C camera this year.

Clearly there is still a market for compact cameras. It is smaller than it was, but it still exists. I also doubt that Pentax spends much time in designing these sort of cameras. I imagine they are made at a Chinese factory and Pentax chooses the body type and ca tweak specs to a certain extent. Certainly they aren't tying up a bunch of effort to generate these cameras.
When was the last thirteen month gap between Pentax {body} announcements??
02-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #117
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Yes. But what about if you hand your high-end smartphone to a kid, they go paddling in rock pools, they drop it on a rock, smashing the screen, and it bounces into the water. You lose your main communication device and you have to pay $1,000 to replace it.

You might not drop the WG in the first place, because it has a grip. If the same does happen to a WG camera, it stands a good chance of survival. Even if it breaks, it’s not the end of the world. I’m sure that a large part of the appeal of rugged cameras is their relative expendability over a smartphone, not their image quality.
I think Ron was just talking about the IQ.

I think that it's dead-end to produce WG cameras in the era of smartphones.
Maybe it's the oppossite. Smartphones show us how good a compact camera should be. People love to use them. But for outdoor and sports, a smartphone isn't ideal. Something like a WG could do better with more features.
02-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #118
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
I think Ron was just talking about the IQ.

Maybe it's the oppossite. Smartphones show us how good a compact camera should be. People love to use them. But for outdoor and sports, a smartphone isn't ideal. Something like a WG could do better with more features.
I never saw WG cameras outdoors. For sport is useless. My friend had Olympus Tough some time ago, but used it several times and switched to smart phone once and for all.

It's my opinion - W series were interesting in right time, but the time of such cameras had gone many years ago.
There are GoPro and other models of action cameras for extreme condition. Is there WG between such gear? I doubt.

I see that every freight forwarder has GoPro or analogue for control of loading and unloading of goods.
02-21-2019, 01:12 PM - 2 Likes   #119
Pentaxian

I never saw WG cameras outdoors. For sport is useless. My friend had Olympus Tough some time ago, but used it several times and switched to smart phone once and for all.

It's my opinion - W series were interesting in right time, but the time of such cameras had gone many years ago.
There are GoPro and other models of action cameras for extreme condition. Is there WG between such gear? I doubt.

I see that every freight forwarder has GoPro or analogue for control of loading and unloading of goods.
I doubt if Ricoh would design a WG6 if they hadn't been selling WG5 cameras at this time last year. {not "many years ago"}
02-21-2019, 01:42 PM - 2 Likes   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This seems like a pretty cool camera, I could definitely see taking it for mountain biking or canoeing.

The "but smartphones" arguments are so tired. There is nothing magical about the tiny sensors in smart phones, surely a dedicated unit with a larger sensor and better ergonomics will be better for photography.

If i read this correctly, this has some chemical resistance? Could be great for contractors.