Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2019, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #166
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
....but everyone here at PentaxForum's seems to be okay with mediocre.
Stop it right now or you're getting a thread ban.

02-25-2019, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #167
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The magic of the GR is simple, small, single purpose.

I'm impressed that Ricoh has managed to keep it that way.
02-25-2019, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #168
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Screenshot

02-26-2019, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
UHS II is not the magic power saver

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I had linked to this earlier https://www.flashmemorysummit.com/English/Collaterals/Proceedings/2015/20150813_FL31_Pinto.pdf, it claims USH-II uses more power than UHS-I during a transfer but completes the transfer in much less time so ends up using less energy (20-40% savings depending on the operating mode). Finishing the transfer faster also lets the parts that can sleep or hibernate spend more time in low power mode. UHS-II is also supposed to have a lower powered hibernate mode - I guess the memory cards themselves can go to sleep when idle (it is non-volatile memory and I don't see that it needs to be powered when not in use, assuming it can get going fast enough when needed).

What overall savings this could have on the camera as a whole? I don't know, for all I know there might be other bits of hardware needed to support UHS-II that hurt on the power front. I couldn't find much more information comparing the two. The d800 vs d850 were cited as a comparison, but there's a whole crap ton of other things that changed between the two models (image processor, sensor, AF module) that isolating the I vs II power savings is something only the engineers would know.
@BrianR (thanks for the UHS power info) and @Rico

Just to settle this once and for all:

Attached Images

02-26-2019, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's funny how Ricoh / Pentax gets all the criticism. After the announcement of the GR, now Fuji are promoting their XF10 and Nikon show up with a new compact camera, and now Tony N. making a video explaining why a simple to use compact camera large sensor for $500 (usb-c uhs-I) is what the general public wants.
02-26-2019, 07:23 AM   #171
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote

Guess what - with launch date {whatever it is} so close, GRiii specs are set. Ricoh isn't going to change them.

Maybe the GRiv will be different, but we all should take a lot of photographs before then.
02-26-2019, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It's funny how Ricoh / Pentax gets all the criticism. After the announcement of the GR, now Fuji are promoting their XF10 and Nikon show up with a new compact camera, and now Tony N. making a video explaining why a simple to use compact camera large sensor for $500 (usb-c uhs-I) is what the general public wants.
That video is ridiculous. I had a nice "discussion" with someone in comments under the video, someone that thinks no one buys non 4k cameras and that it's just a given that all cameras have it. Not listening to people explaining that 4k tends to generate a ton of heat and requires tons of computational power that will not happen in a $500 full frame (right) entry (what?) camera.

I talked with a few soccer moms and dads on the field, and none of them knew what full frame is and what are the pros/cons of going full frame.

That video is just wishful thinking. And an echo chamber of people that review photo gear for living.

Last edited by awscreo; 02-26-2019 at 09:58 AM.
02-26-2019, 08:58 AM - 2 Likes   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Guess what - with launch date {whatever it is} so close, GRiii specs are set. Ricoh isn't going to change them.

Maybe the GRiv will be different, but we all should take a lot of photographs before then.
@reh321

My point was that UHS II makes no (effective) difference to battery life, and I was tired of hearing about how UHS II saves the universe blah, blah...

GRiii sounds like a fine pocket camera with KP performance.

;-)

02-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I talked with a few soccer moms and dads on the field, and none of them knew what full frame is and what are the pros/cons of going full frame.
Exactly. Personal comments do not represent the whole market but a microscopic part of it. Also for 4K video, I am not sure that people asking for it actually understand what they are talking about.
02-26-2019, 09:14 AM   #175
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a GRIII thread and I have said several times the GRIII is a home run. If the GRIII had UHS-II it would be a grand slam.
everyone here at PentaxForum's seems to be okay with mediocre.
I guess I will have to make a note not to type "mediocre" anymore. You guys banned me once for using the word "pathetic".
I should note that the difference between "a Home Run" {what you say the GRiii is} and "a Grand Slam" {what you say the GRiii could be} is circumstances - what players before the batter did, not what the batter him/her self did - context matters, and the same thing applies to our use of words.

Last edited by reh321; 02-26-2019 at 09:24 AM.
02-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #176
Pentaxian

phoebes thanks for proving my point.

The FlashMemorySummit PDF linked by BrianR clearly states that there is improved battery performance moving from UHS-I to UHS-II. There are four pages titled "UHS-II is Saving you Energy" in the FlashMemorySummit PDF explaining just how the power savings is accomplished.

Here is the "UHS-II is Saving you Energy - Conclusion" page:

As per the Flash Memory Summit of 2015 moving from UHS-I to UHS-II will improve battery performance.
02-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Exactly. Personal comments do not represent the whole market but a microscopic part of it. Also for 4K video, I am not sure that people asking for it actually understand what they are talking about.
I don't think many people outside of professionals or video enthusiasts want 4k,since it's very heavy on the cpu load when processing it in editing software

02-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

phoebes thanks for proving my point.

The FlashMemorySummit PDF linked by BrianR clearly states that there is improved battery performance moving from UHS-I to UHS-II. There are four pages titled "UHS-II is Saving you Energy" in the FlashMemorySummit PDF explaining just how the power savings is accomplished.

Here is the "UHS-II is Saving you Energy - Conclusion" page:

As per the Flash Memory Summit of 2015 moving from UHS-I to UHS-II will improve battery performance.
Rico - you obviously didn't reach the same conclusion as me - UHS II gains you 0.1 of a shot in power saving. Not very useful...
02-26-2019, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #179
Pentaxian

Has everything been said? May I sum it up? Battery performance depends on many things. One of them is the writing process of the data, that can be sped up by using other bus standards than the GR will have. However, the writing of the data is only a fraction of the total power requirements per image and thus the effect on the battery life would be there, but minimal.
And, the GR is already designed as it is, no conclusion on any internet forum can change that.
For me everything is said, I try not to use ignore function excessively, but this would be my next step.
02-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #180
Pentaxian

Rico - you obviously didn't reach the same conclusion as me - UHS II gains you 0.1 of a shot in power saving. Not very useful...
phoebus are you saying that the FlashMemorySummit PDF is wrong because it does not support your conclusion.

It actually lays out the points I have been saying why moving to UHS-II is so beneficial. Under the "UHS-II is Saving Energy" section points to the Full & Half Duplex modes as to how the energy is saved.