Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 162 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2019, 07:05 AM   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Wobbly control dial/pad for some new cameras!!!
What happens to quality control? It looks like a lottery if we buy Ricoh products. I hope it will not happen to Pentax products as well. Unfortunately, Ricoh has not officially recognized the aperture control problem in some Pentax cameras.
This is an over-reaction. Punct.

No one has claimed that the "wobbly" dial affects behavior - it is purely cosmetic.

I really doubt you are going to purchase a K-50 this year.
Evidence is that K-70 is as reliable as any other consumer-level camera.

04-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #272
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This is an over-reaction. Punct.......
I really doubt you are going to purchase a K-50 this year.
Your reaction is totally wrong. It's good to learn to be a little polite on a forum and you do not talk about people you do not know. But I admit, you are right I did not buy K50 and K70 because I bought KS2 and KP.
I am of the opinion that after such a long wait for a new GR camera, this mass error should not happen. Punct.
04-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #273
Pentaxian

Let's not go personal
It is an exaggeration - an issue which doesn't affect functionality, and which is properly handled by the manufacturer - but no more than that. I would say the products quality improved; but let's be realistic, it cannot be perfect at any price.
04-03-2019, 08:21 AM   #274
Pentaxian

Your reaction is totally wrong. It's good to learn to be a little polite on a forum and you do not talk about people you do not know. But I admit, you are right I did not buy K50 and K70 because I bought KS2 and KP.
I am of the opinion that after such a long wait for a new GR camera, this mass error should not happen. Punct.
There was nothing impolite about my statement.
You are entitled to an opinion - but that doesn't make it truth.
I see no reason to flog Ricoh over this issue.

added: and I also see no reason to discuss this further - but you may if you want to, of course.

Last edited by reh321; 04-03-2019 at 08:56 AM.
04-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #275
Veteran Member

Okay, let's hope that Ricoh will be more careful and we will continue to enjoy Pentax products.
04-04-2019, 08:16 AM   #276
Pentaxian

Original Poster
04-04-2019, 08:26 AM   #277
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Okay, let's hope that Ricoh will be more careful and we will continue to enjoy Pentax products.
If Ricoh are able to make money with a GRIII , they are also able to make money out of Pentax DSLR lineup simply because the price of a FF system is quite a lot higher than the price of a GRIII. If that's only a matter of resources allocation, some other Pentax products will come after GRIII got its fair share of resources for its development.

04-04-2019, 08:28 AM - 6 Likes   #278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
A recall option on the dial.

Ricoh says it will repair GR III cameras affected by a wobbly control dial, scroll wheel: Digital Photography Review

So looking at those serial numbers, if all filled, that is close to a production run of 15.000 units.
My GR III is within the stated serial number range and I would not even have noticed the "wobbling" if it weren't for comments and complaints from other people - many who have never even seen a GR III in real life! I have assumed that the movement of the dial is normal and it functions perfectly. I am very happy with the operation and image quality of my GR III.

It's funny how when these sort of "problems" arise, the people who don't own the camera are the most vocal about the problems
04-04-2019, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
My GR III is within the stated serial number range and I would not even have noticed the "wobbling" if it weren't for comments and complaints from other people - many who have never even seen a GR III in real life! I have assumed that the movement of the dial is normal and it functions perfectly. I am very happy with the operation and image quality of my GR III.

It's funny how when these sort of "problems" arise, the people who don't own the camera are the most vocal about the problems
That's the sinister nature of the subtle post regarding the "wobbly" button. Whether its a conscious post to cast doubt or not it tends to leave a bit of a nagging doubt in the back of your mind that you may have purchased a defective unit. This tends to drive down sales on an otherwise great product, very unfortunate. This is done by the media all the time on a host of different products or subjects.
04-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #280
Pentaxian

That is precisely why I ask those upset by this 'problem' what their personal experience has been with this cosmetic 'issue'.
04-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #281
Banned

It seems to me that a little wobble doesn't interfere with the functioning of the dial. This is probably a part bought from an external manufacturar that somehow is just on the edge of accepted margins. Otherwise there wouldn't be an option for repare.
04-05-2019, 01:22 AM   #282
Veteran Member

Look, not to be angry, they're the camera owners who highlight the problem.

I think that the existence of a problem needs to be publicized as much as possible so buyers know about it, even if the problem is minor. It can not be said that the problem does not exist at all, because those who have it are fewer. It is the job of manufacturers to ensure that there are no problems (even minor) when launching a product on the market. As a buyer, I do not care that they lose because of that. Ricoh can not say that they have been hurried, they have produced a lot of products in a short time, and some small mistakes happen

Last edited by edri; 04-05-2019 at 01:36 AM.
04-05-2019, 02:51 AM   #283
Pentaxian

There's no product without any kind of problem.
04-05-2019, 04:49 AM   #284
Pentaxian

Even if the wobbly dial doesn't affect operation and doesn't worsen over time, it's still an embarrassment for Ricoh and suggests that the product is of low quality, which will put people off. At least Ricoh are acknowledging the fault and fixing it (for free, I understand). Cough* SDM * cough.
04-05-2019, 05:16 AM   #285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Even if the wobbly dial doesn't affect operation and doesn't worsen over time, it's still an embarrassment for Ricoh and suggests that the product is of low quality, which will put people off. At least Ricoh are acknowledging the fault and fixing it (for free, I understand). Cough* SDM * cough.
This kind of things are intentional these days...in the camera industry. They (Canon, Nikon etc) figured out it was good for nurturing share of mind to issue firmware fixes and publish advisory / acknowledgment information, usually they select the kind of defect / issue so that it cost nothing to fix. Camera marketing runs very long in the tooth there days... now we have teasing for 6 months before a product is announced , then 2 month wait for availability in shops , plus 1 or 2 months additional delay (seemingly unplanned LoL) on top the the official date of availability. Sony and Fuji were the first to actively correct firmware after product release, than came Nikon and now Canon understood the trick and they begin to do the same. Basically, every opportunity is good to make the temporary headline of the dpreview website.

The evidence is right here: you wouldn't think about, nor be talking about the GRIII if this wobble issues wasn't reported! Bingo, it worked.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-05-2019 at 05:26 AM.