Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 162 Likes Search this Thread
05-20-2019, 11:13 AM   #316
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Where is the GRIII made?
Is it in an existing Ricoh plant or one of the Pentax facilities?

Just wondering if big GR sales might be interfering with something else (85, 70-200, etc...)

Just the normal uninformed paranoia in-between snippets of rumor...

-Eric

05-24-2019, 04:38 PM - 3 Likes   #317
Pentaxian

The patent request pertaining to the 18.3mm f/2.8 of the Ricoh GR III: JP,2019-079033,A filed on 29 August 2018 and published on 23 May 2019.

文献固定アドレス用結果一覧|J-PlatPat [JPP]

05-24-2019, 05:38 PM - 2 Likes   #318
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
It was made for the Japanese market and to the taste of Japanese camera collectors. And it made lots of sense for this market.
It is a beautiful camera. I recall at the time a bout of camera lust.
05-25-2019, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #319
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Where is the GRIII made?
Is it in an existing Ricoh plant or one of the Pentax facilities?

Just wondering if big GR sales might be interfering with something else (85, 70-200, etc...)

Just the normal uninformed paranoia in-between snippets of rumor...

-Eric
Made in Vietnam.
I got mine a little over a week ago; and I LOVE IT!

Image stabilization is excellent; images are sharp; low light operation is very good.
Clearly a bunch of very talented people who are photographers built this camera.
There's something in it for GR fans and long-time Pentaxians like me.
Stop reading and go order one!

05-28-2019, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #320
Pentaxian

Ricoh Imaging just released an updated firmware (version 1.11) for the GR III. Here is the list of changes:
QuoteOriginally posted by Ricoh Imaging:
  • Corrected — When playback movie on the camera, dropping frames occur in firmware version 1.10.
  • The version display in the USB device tree of Mac OS is worked with the firmware version.
  • Improved stability for general performance.
The updated firmware can be downloaded here:

Latest GR III Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
06-12-2019, 03:48 AM   #321
Forum Member

This is a damn good camera. I have had mine for 2 weeks and shot over 2 000 shots with it. All this complaining about battery, for me it's totally fine. I don't have an issue with battery. But. I fell down a mountain and ruined the LCD screen. So that's a bummer. But the sensor, lens and everything else works. I can see what I'm shooting on the LCD, but there is a big crack and some purple there so I can't touch to focus. But with the many focus options it's fine. Amazing quality for such a little lens.
07-03-2019, 06:11 PM - 3 Likes   #322
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Changes to V1.20

<Add the following enhanced features>
[Grain Effect]
[Grain Effect] has been added to [Monotone], [Soft Monotone], [Hard Monotone] and [Hi-Contrast B&W] mode as adjustment items under [Image control] of the  6 [Image Process Setting] menu in the [Still Image Setting].
[Horizon Correction]
[Horizon Correction] has been added to the  7 [Shooting Assist] menu in the [Still Image Setting].
For more details click here.

<Improved Contents>
From the power off state, the start-up time when starting by pressing and holding the Playback button has been shortened.
Improved the response of the release when shooting subjects with different brightness continuously.
In [Auto-area AF], improved the phenomenon that the focus on behind in rare cases.
Improved stability for general performance.

Latest GR III Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

07-03-2019, 07:06 PM   #323
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great to see horizon correction added, I always have it enabled with the k3ii. It will make my griii an even better ultra light backpacking/hiking camera, I have the filter adapter just for using polarizers with it for landscapes.

If I read the second line under "improved contents" correctly, they've addressed the situation where the meter would react a bit slow when the scene suddenly changed, blocking the shutter? I've encountered that rarely but enough to notice.
07-03-2019, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #324
Pentaxian

07-09-2019, 08:24 PM - 2 Likes   #325
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
According to this report, the GR III continued to hold the top spot in compact camera sales at the electronics chain Yodobashi Camera in June. Yodobashi operates big stores in the major cities of Japan. It’s quite a major retailer.

????????6?????????????????????????GR III???????? - ????info

I don’t think this is an isolated case, because it also held the top slot at the Kakaku.com price comparison site for months.

It’s s great result for Ricoh and shows the GR III’s “niche” appeal is quite a big niche after all. It’s also hard to take complaints that it’s overpriced seriously when it’s selling like this.
07-14-2019, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #326
Veteran Member

The new updat (1.2) is great, adding control over grain is long overdue, horizon correction is useful and the usual bug fixes necessary.

BUT - we're now nearly 4 months down the road and the app is still very flaky. Not working at all well on Android 9 - won't connect 90% of the time - and even if it does work, there is still no remote control at all. This is not a complicated job to get working, if they just stuck a couple of competent developers on it...frankly it's shoddy on such and expensive camera, to cheap out on the companion app.

On the DSLRs it kinda doesn't matter too much, in that a lot of people plan to take their images home to work on. But a street shooter wants to shoot, transfer, share, on location and it's a big selling point.
07-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #327
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Stop reading and go order one!
1. My first two 35mm cameras were {Yashica, Canon} rangefinder cameras; I felt restricted by the single focal length of the lens, and was thrilled when I got my first {Pentax} SLR.

2. My first digital camera was a {Canon} 'compact' camera; even though if had a 3X zoom lens, I felt it was too inflexible for my current needs. After nine months, our daughter ruined the LCD of her camera, so I gladly gave mine to her, declared it to be a "failure", and purchased a {Canon} Rebel DSLR.

3. Before I purchased my Q-7, I was concerned by its lack of a viewfinder, but I finally convinced myself that a "Hoodman"' would make it usable. Once I got it, both my concern and solution turned out to be true.

I am glad for you and for Ricoh that you are pleased with the GRRR, but based on 1,2,3 above, I'm going to save my money for other purposes.
07-14-2019, 11:43 AM   #328
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
BUT - we're now nearly 4 months down the road and the app is still very flaky. Not working at all well on Android 9 - won't connect 90% of the time - and even if it does work, there is still no remote control at all. This is not a complicated job to get working, if they just stuck a couple of competent developers on it...frankly it's shoddy on such and expensive camera, to cheap out on the companion app.

On the DSLRs it kinda doesn't matter too much, in that a lot of people plan to take their images home to work on. But a street shooter wants to shoot, transfer, share, on location and it's a big selling point.
I wonder if it works better with iPhones. I have made minor use of the capability but the iPhone version has connected to my KP every time I've tried, and it does give me remote control.
07-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #329
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I wonder if it works better with iPhones. I have made minor use of the capability but the iPhone version has connected to my KP every time I've tried, and it does give me remote control.
On Android the app stopped working after Android 7, and was more or less abandoned for long while. Then they released the GR III, which it didn't support at all until it was updated at the end of April (2 months after the camera's release)...at which point it worked on everything except Android 9 (which unfortunately is the latest and greatest, so fairly popular). Then they updated it again this week, which broke it on everything...until they released this camera firmware version, at which point we're now back to square one. Not working at all well on Android 9, and anyway still only does basic file transfer, no remote control whatsoever.

Frankly, a farce. It's taken them 4 months to fail to get 'file transfer over wifi' working. I hate to think how long it will take them to fail to get remote control working.
07-23-2019, 08:38 AM   #330
Veteran Member

The GRIII is the best camera ever made. - Eric Kim

The RICOH GR III (3) is the Best Camera Ever Made.