Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The GRIII is build to be a compact single focus lens street camera and not a large do it all video and stills camera. Probably no one would ever want to hang a power pack with ssd on their GRIII.
how about adding two micro XQD card slots for speed and data redundancy?

02-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
How many suppliers provide XQD cards now??
I remember D850 owners freaking out when they thought Lexar was gone, because XQD cards became very rare.
02-23-2019, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

Two cards is one of those "professional" things that is in conflict with the GR's "small is beautiful" goal, just as it is inappropriate for the KP.

In over ten years of digital photography now, I have never had an SD card fail in-camera.

Somehow we got by with just one roll of film in a camera at a time.
02-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #64
Veteran Member

The GRIII is build to be a compact single focus lens street camera and not a large do it all video and stills camera. Probably no one would ever want to hang a power pack with ssd on their GRIII.
That's the point RonHendriks1966 if the GRIII had UHS-II you wouldn't need to hang a power pack with an SSD on your GRIII.

The GR is a do it all compact single focus video and still street camera. It just doesn't deliver 4k video due to the UHS-I bus. At least they finally gave us 14-bit RAW stills.

02-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #65
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
That's the point RonHendriks1966 if the GRIII had UHS-II you wouldn't need to hang a power pack with an SSD on your GRIII.

The GR is a do it all compact single focus video and still street camera. It just doesn't deliver 4k video due to the UHS-I bus. At least they finally gave us 14-bit RAW stills.
I think for that it needs a little more then just a faster bus. It needs a bigger battery pack. It needs a faster processor. It needs something to dissipate the heat building up. A different sensor then it now has. So that would make it a very different camera, not fitting in the small size it now has.

---------- Post added 23-02-19 at 19:26 ----------

How about loosing those card slots and put 64gb/128gb memory inside the camera?

The G900 has 6,5gb memory inside. I hope someone cracks it open. I think you will find a micro-SD card inside.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 02-23-2019 at 11:27 AM.
02-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #66
Veteran Member

No need to go to a new card format like XQD. SD is the path forward since SD Express was announced by the SD Card Association. SD Express will use PCIe.

Ricoh/Pentax should move entirely to microSD cards. In the GR it would make room for a bigger battery and or two slots.
02-23-2019, 11:33 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good that someone has mentioned 14-bit RAW. Previously I asked the following below, but I received no responses, so trying again:

Anyone any views on how the GRiii will compare with the GRi with respect to bit-depth and dynamic range ? The first version had 12-bit RAW whereas the new version will have 14-bit. However, the increased pixel concentration of the new version,would, all things being equal, have a lower DR.

I like my old GR, but the images are always a little flatter after processing than, say a K-3/K-1. I've always put this down to it (partially) being 12-bit, rather than the 16-bit of the DLSRs.

Anyone, any views ? Of course I should (and will - as I'm in no rush) wait for the reviews, but I suspect the detailed comparisons between the old and the new in this area, will not be readily available, if ever.

02-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #68
Pentaxian

It just doesn't deliver 4k video due to the UHS-I bus. At least they finally gave us 14-bit RAW stills.
We don't know if the processor used by Rico/Pentax can deliver 4K.
02-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #69
Veteran Member

I think for that it needs a little more then just a faster bus. It needs a bigger battery pack. It needs a faster processor. It needs something to dissipate the heat building up. A different sensor then it now has. So that would make it a very different camera, not fitting in the small size it now has.
The GRIII already has all those things bigger battery, faster processor better sensor what the GRIII is lacking to deliver 4k is UHS-II.
02-23-2019, 11:43 AM   #70
Pentaxian

The GRIII already has all those things bigger battery, faster processor better sensor what the GRIII is lacking to deliver 4k is UHS-II.
Until Ricoh or Pentax does deliver one camera with 4K, we won't know whether the processor they are currently using is adequate for 4K.
02-23-2019, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Good that someone has mentioned 14-bit RAW. Previously I asked the following below, but I received no responses, so trying again:

Anyone any views on how the GRiii will compare with the GRi with respect to bit-depth and dynamic range ? The first version had 12-bit RAW whereas the new version will have 14-bit. However, the increased pixel concentration of the new version,would, all things being equal, have a lower DR.

I like my old GR, but the images are always a little flatter after processing than, say a K-3/K-1. I've always put this down to it (partially) being 12-bit, rather than the 16-bit of the DLSRs.

Anyone, any views ? Of course I should (and will - as I'm in no rush) wait for the reviews, but I suspect the detailed comparisons between the old and the new in this area, will not be readily available, if ever.
The DSLR are 14-bit. The GRIII 14-bit Raw files will be much better than the GR and GRII 12-bit RAW files across the board. They should deliver same or better quality than KP.
02-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #72
Pentaxian

The G900 has 6,5gb memory inside. I think you will find a micro-SD card inside.
Yes, it is what the spec says. No sure it is using a microSD card, perhaps a memory chip directly on the pcb without going through a SD bus driver.
02-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Hallo!
Does anybody know, what the raw-converter is in box?
New generation of PDCU or..?
02-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Until Ricoh or Pentax does deliver one camera with 4K, we won't know whether the processor they are currently using is adequate for 4K.
Ricoh/Pentax can not deliver 4k video until they move to UHS-II. So until Ricoh/Pentax moves a camera to UHS-II we won't be seeing 4k any time soon.

What was the buffer clearing count again? The KP buffer takes about 15 seconds to clear once it is filled. So we can expect about the same performance from the GRIII. With UHS-II the buffer would clear in 5 seconds or less.

Who here would rather have the buffer clearing in 15 seconds rather than 5 seconds?
02-23-2019, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

Ricoh/Pentax can not deliver 4k video until they move to UHS-II. So until Ricoh/Pentax moves a camera to UHS-II we won't be seeing 4k any time soon.

What was the buffer clearing count again? The KP buffer takes about 15 seconds to clear once it is filled. So we can expect about the same performance from the GRIII. With UHS-II the buffer would clear in 5 seconds or less.

Who here would rather have the buffer clearing in 15 seconds rather than 5 seconds?
You can have 4k video with the WG-6 WG-6 | RICOH IMAGING