Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2019, 09:27 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Man that KP is a HUGE camera
And, yet, many here complain it is too small for their hands.

02-21-2019, 09:51 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
And, yet, many here complain it is too small for their hands.
Handling of camera depends how big is the weight and size of the lens attached. Holding a compact camera without a handle is easy, holding a A6000 with a big lens involves discomfort.
02-21-2019, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Psst!...

This thread is about the Ricoh GR IIIII.
02-21-2019, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

I find the comments about the GRIII on DPReview to be pathetic. Almost all new camera products are now being shot in flames at the introduction, the GRIII even more so. Makes me shake my head and wonder how we have come to a point so low.

02-22-2019, 12:16 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
One thing I don't quite like - the lack of GPS.
Less useful for a street camera, because of poor reception between buildings I guess.
Less useful? Only if you need pinpoint location. My Garmin running watch sometimes misses location between tall buildings, but rarely by more than 20-30 meters. I’d really like to have a gps in a camera like this. Position data makes pictures so much easier to find in your library.
02-22-2019, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Less useful? Only if you need pinpoint location. My Garmin running watch sometimes misses location between tall buildings, but rarely by more than 20-30 meters. I’d really like to have a gps in a camera like this. Position data makes pictures so much easier to find in your library.
I agree on the usefulness of GNSS (the newest generation should use GPS, GLONASS and Galileo) for having data to sort by location, but I guess the GR's battery might not have supported another power consuming sensor well.
02-22-2019, 01:40 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Of course, I'd like to have in-camera GPS, too.
It's not a deal breaker - I could track location using the smartphone and sync the data, but this is more cumbersome.

02-22-2019, 01:46 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone any views on how the GRiii will compare with the GRi with respect to bit-depth and dynamic range ? The first version had 12-bit RAW whereas the new version will have 14-bit. However, the increased pixel concentration of the new version,would, all things being equal, have a lower DR.

I like my old GR, but the images are always a little flatter after processing than, say a K-3/K-1. I've always put this down to it (partially) being 12-bit, rather than the 16-bit of the DLSRs.

Anyone, any views ? Of course I should (and will - as I'm in no rush) wait for the reviews, but I suspect the detailed comparisons between the old and the new in this area, will not be readily available, if ever.

Many thanks ...
02-22-2019, 01:49 AM - 4 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

I have too many cameras, but the Ricoh GR is by far my favourite. It can be used one handed and has that elusive fun factor. It's also practically invisible. Really looking forward to better high ISO performance, stabilisation and touchscreen focus point.
It'll be in under the tree for Xmas even if I have to buy it for myself.
02-22-2019, 01:57 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I agree on the usefulness of GNSS (the newest generation should use GPS, GLONASS and Galileo) for having data to sort by location, but I guess the GR's battery might not have supported another power consuming sensor well.
My relatively small Garmin watch can do continuous position tracking and heart rate logging for at least 10 hours on one charge, so I’m not so sure about that.
02-22-2019, 01:59 AM - 4 Likes   #41
Veteran Member

Well, I'm pre-ordering it tomorrow when I'm going to collect my DA*11-18/2.8.

I walk around my home city a lot and as such I've been planning to do more street photography for ages. But I always end up not taking a camera because of its bulk. I thought the Q would be an anwser, but although I love it as a back-up during travel to sunny places, its 01 prime's FoV is a bit too strict for street and its IQ is not good enough for evening/night photography or for the gloomy weather we get most of the year. The GR III is all I need for this actually (I still regret never having found out about the GR II).

Wim
02-22-2019, 04:00 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How to make the GR III seem cheap, take one look at a Leica Q, sure its nowhere near as discreet but it does have a viewfinder and an F1.7 28mm lens which probably justifies those extra thousands $ £ € don't ya think ?
02-22-2019, 04:04 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
How to make the GR III seem cheap, take one look at a Leica Q, sure its nowhere near as discreet but it does have a viewfinder and an F1.7 28mm lens which probably justifies those extra thousands $ £ € don't ya think ?
For those extra thousands I almost get a Pentax 645 digital...
02-22-2019, 05:26 AM - 4 Likes   #44
JPT
Pentaxian

The approach to GPS is to have the camera sync via Bluetooth with a phone.
[Usability]?GR III | RICOH IMAGING

And it looks like the USB-C can be used with an external battery pack.
02-22-2019, 05:32 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ricoh GR III Review - Preview Images | Photography Blog

---------- Post added 02-22-19 at 05:33 AM ----------

Ricoh GR III Hands-On Review