Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 162 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2019, 05:36 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The approach to GPS is to have the camera sync via Bluetooth with a phone.
[Usability]?GR III | RICOH IMAGING

And it looks like the USB-C can be used with an external battery pack.
Very nice! Imagine a flat costumized battery pack connected with the tripod thread...

02-22-2019, 05:37 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Nice review, they conclude:

02-22-2019, 05:42 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
My relatively small Garmin watch can do continuous position tracking and heart rate logging for at least 10 hours on one charge, so I’m not so sure about that.
It for sure can. It has something like a 260mAh battery for that. The GRIII has a battery with around 1600mAh and is supposed to get around 200 images in the specs -> which is heavily criticised. I can imagine the reaction if the specs would read 160 instead.

Beside that, as you said - continuous. The GNSS-chips are quite good these days in terms of power consumption, but what is not helpful for a camera is the constand reaquiration of a fix, which the Garmin has to do to a lesser degree and a phone is assisted with network positional information.
02-22-2019, 05:51 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How would Pentax contribute to selling GRs???
{I can see how they could re-use technology first used on DSLRs}
Well I was joking but the top five threads in this forum as of right now are all Ricoh products. None of them would even be on this forum if Ricoh didnt own Pentax.

02-22-2019, 05:58 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks great with SR, and dust removal. I am also delighted with the 24mp for the 15MP 35mm equiv crop. Does anyone know if pixel shift made it? That would be icing on the cake.
02-22-2019, 06:07 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Well, I'm pre-ordering it tomorrow when I'm going to collect my DA*11-18/2.8.

I walk around my home city a lot and as such I've been planning to do more street photography for ages. But I always end up not taking a camera because of its bulk. I thought the Q would be an anwser, but although I love it as a back-up during travel to sunny places, its 01 prime's FoV is a bit too strict for street and its IQ is not good enough for evening/night photography or for the gloomy weather we get most of the year. The GR III is all I need for this actually (I still regret never having found out about the GR II).

Wim
You will love it. I'm still in love with my GR(I)
02-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ricoh GR III sample gallery: Digital Photography Review

02-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My Q7 sensor is significantly smaller than my KP sensor - and the GR sensor, too.
I got the Q7 Premium Kit with the fitted bag. It holds the camera body, 01, 02, 03, 06 and 08 lenses in a very small bag that's easy to take anywhere. For a long time this was a travel mainstay for me. However, the system is starting to show its age and limitations.

The Q7 with the (lovely) 01 lens I could sort of cram into my vest pocket, but it's not a comfortable fit at all. For that I have either the Fujifilm REAL 3D W3, which actually uses the same battery as the Q7, or the Ricoh GR Digital IV which, to my annoyance, does not. And yes, I'm looking very closely at the GR III. It looks like it combines a lot of the best features from the GRD4 and the GR2.
02-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Am I the only one who thought Ricoh was announcing a BBQ....The GRill, now with built in pancake GRiddle!
02-22-2019, 04:17 PM - 4 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Well I was joking but the top five threads in this forum as of right now are all Ricoh products. None of them would even be on this forum if Ricoh didn't own Pentax.
This forum might not exist if Ricoh hadn't taken over Pentax.
02-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Has there been any mention of the Accelerator Unit? Next generation? Same as K-1 MKII or KP?

I would say the GRIII is a home run. It would be a grand slam with UHS-II. UHS-II would give this camera everything it is missing like 4k video. Better battery life. Better more responsive use. i.e. the buffer clearing in less than 5 seconds instead of waiting 15 seconds.

Funny the USB C connection not only can possibly supply external power through a pack it could also supply write speeds that are exponentially faster than the UHS-I SD bus they are using. A third write to option could be added an external device through the USB C connection. You could have a power pack with an SSD storage built in with speeds in the thousands of MB/s write speeds. It would definitely be fast enough to supply 4k video. It would be fast enough you may not be able to fill the buffer were you have to wait at all taking stills.
02-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Funny the USB C connection not only can possibly supply external power through a pack it could also supply write speeds that are exponentially faster than the UHS-I SD bus they are using. A third write to option could be added an external device through the USB C connection. You could have a power pack with an SSD storage built in with speeds in the thousands of MB/s write speeds. It would definitely be fast enough to supply 4k video. It would be fast enough you may not be able to fill the buffer were you have to wait at all taking stills.
Not needed.The GRIII connects wirelessly to a NAS, when you arrive home your photos are automatically downloaded to the NAS, you don't even have to wait.

---------- Post added 23-02-19 at 18:42 ----------

it is missing like 4k video
I've seen your videos on youtube, the content is nice, however, you need to upgrade to 4K because the resolution isn't that good, I can see the pixels from a distance.

---------- Post added 23-02-19 at 18:43 ----------

Also, we shoudn't forget that 4K video should be using mechanical stabilization, no like software stabilization that is implemented on the KP and K1.
02-23-2019, 10:47 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Not needed.The GRIII connects wirelessly to a NAS, when you arrive home your photos are automatically downloaded to the NAS, you don't even have to wait.

---------- Post added 23-02-19 at 18:42 ----------

I've seen your videos on youtube, the content is nice, however, you need to upgrade to 4K because the resolution isn't that good, I can see the pixels from a distance.

---------- Post added 23-02-19 at 18:43 ----------

Also, we shoudn't forget that 4K video should be using mechanical stabilization, no like software stabilization that is implemented on the KP and K1.
biz-engineer you have missed the point entirely. Your response isn't even close to what I have said.
02-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #59
Pentaxian

biz-engineer you have missed the point entirely. Your response isn't even close to what I have said.
Did you mean that the USB-C would provide enough power to allow faster data writing speed into a UHSII card, 4K video recording, while the USB-C port is wired to an external battery or a mobile phone?
02-23-2019, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #60
Banned

Has there been any mention of the Accelerator Unit? Next generation? Same as K-1 MKII or KP?

I would say the GRIII is a home run. It would be a grand slam with UHS-II. UHS-II would give this camera everything it is missing like 4k video. Better battery life. Better more responsive use. i.e. the buffer clearing in less than 5 seconds instead of waiting 15 seconds.

The GRIII is build to be a compact single focus lens street camera and not a large do it all video and stills camera. Probably no one would ever want to hang a power pack with ssd on their GRIII.